2019 Brazilian GP - Pre race thread | Page 2 | FerrariChat

2019 Brazilian GP - Pre race thread

Discussion in 'F1' started by DF1, Nov 12, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    The ayes have it

Nembo1777 likes this.
  2. trumpet77

trumpet77 Formula 3

Jun 13, 2011
    Great Neck, NY
    Full Name:
    Robert Nixon
    well yes, like most years in F1. The year that something like 7 different drivers won the first 7 races was a lot more interesting.

3. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I used to say about Jenson Button a few years back when he was with Jessica Michibata “So he gets to drive race cars for a living, lives in Monaco, and he’s dating an underwear model. I really hate that son of a *****.”

A348W and furoni like this.
  4. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Who will lose pace this weekend??? https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/147149/fia-asks-for-teams-oil-details-in-latest-engine-twist

FIA asks for F1 teams' oil details in latest engine saga twist

Formula 1 teams have been asked to supply information about the use of lubricants in their engines, the latest move to ensure oil is not being burned for performance gains.

Ahead of the Brazilian Grand Prix weekend, the governing body has issued a technical directive reiterating previous instructions that outlaw burning liquid to improve performance.

It has also requested every team sends details such as the designation, specification and quantity of lubricants in their engines.

This will give the FIA a reference should it undertake any checks related to lubricant use in the future.

The FIA has not targeted any specific manufacturer or team with this request, which is why every competitor has been asked to supply information.

But it comes amid rival teams scrutinising Ferrari and its qualifying performance advantage since the summer break.

As reported by Autosport, the FIA was approached by at least one team several weeks ago as Ferrari's rivals sought clarification over the legality of practices they thought might be behind the Italian team gaining a power boost in qualifying.

One theory was that a leak from the intercooler, in which Ferrari uses oil unlike its competitors, would allow a small amount of oil vapour to become part of the engine's combustion process.

F1's technical regulations issued by the FIA state that cooling systems must not "intentionally make use of the latent heat of vaporisation of any fluid with the exception of fuel for the normal purpose of combustion in the engine".

The FIA has received multiple requests about certain engine designs and practices that may be illegal as teams attempt to clarify what is and is not allowed.

This is the second technical directive issued in as many races.

Ahead of the previous grand prix in the United States, the FIA told teams that specific efforts to exploit fuel-flow regulations would be illegal.

Red Bull driver Max Verstappen was outspoken following the United States GP, and angered Ferrari when he said its drop in performance there was a direct result of the FIA's fuel-flow directive.

On Thursday in Brazil, Verstappen welcomed the FIA's latest clampdown as well and emphasised that teams now know what is legal.

Asked by Autosport if he was pleased to see the FIA issue these technical directives, Verstappen said: "Yeah, it's good.

"The FIA is definitely on top of it and it's now very clear for everyone what's allowed and what's not allowed.

"In general, it's always good that the FIA is on top of everything.

"But it's very complex regulations with everything.

"So it's not the easiest job to be on top of everything straight away, because it's a lot of rules."

Share this article on

5. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Isobel and jgonzalesm6 like this.
  6. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    Perfect example of what's wrong with F1...they try to hamper any innovation that makes the motor engine side of the sport more competitive. Surprised they haven't reduced the engine size to 850cc.

7. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Ferrari has more at stake than what the points table suggest. Winning more races this season would be a validation test for the design direction of the car and would put to a rest all the cheating rumours.

Also shutting Verstappen´s mouth for a while would be a blessing for all mankind.

ingegnere, william and furoni like this.
  8. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

375+ likes this.
  9. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Eddie Irvine - all is forgiven !

10. trumpet77

trumpet77 Formula 3

Jun 13, 2011
    Great Neck, NY
    Full Name:
    Robert Nixon
    Was half expecting the article above to say, "upon further review, FIA officials determined that Haas and Williams did not have to provide any oil samples due to..."

william and DF1 like this.
  11. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Now that both titles are settled, the testing for the 2020 season really starts now for Ferrari.
    The last 2 GPs are maybe an opportunity to be more daring and experiment new systems with nothing to lose.
    For example grid penalties don't matter anymore, so why not try new components?

12. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    Agree, but with Merc so dominant, perhaps some teams will be saying "to hell with 2020" lets run our 19 car and start putting all our R&D into 21 car were the biggest rule change is and biggest potential to make gains is! If I was Williams I would be...I wonder if any teams are thinking this?

13. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Do you mean handing both 2020 titles on a plate to Mercedes and Hamilton ?
    Wow, I am sure they would like that!
    There is that slight chance they may not be around in 2021 ...

14. jjmalez

jjmalez F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2005
    Northern Illinois
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    Only two more lost Sundays. Then I can go back to watching the Chicago Bears suck also...

:(

15. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    I'm finding those massive car crashes on Russian dash cams more interesting.

16. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    I wouldn’t say those with a chance ie Ferrari and red bull give up; but with one more year to go under the current rules realistically what gains can some of them make?

Would their resources not be better off trying to get a head start for the new rules?

my history is rubbish; but I’d be interested to know what has happened the year before other big rule changes.

17. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Engine-wise, there are no big changes from 2021.