CLUTCH OVER-HEATED WARNING | FerrariChat

CLUTCH OVER-HEATED WARNING

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by hjay, Nov 14, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. hjay

hjay Rookie

Mar 20, 2008
    SINCE 2013 MY SPIDER HAS HAD A FALSE "CLUTCH OVER HEATED" WARNING. I HAVE DISCUSSED THIS ISSUE WITH THE MECHANIC NUMEROUS TIMES. IT OBVIOUSLY IS FALSE AS IT HAPPENS AS I BACK OUT OF THE GARAGE. NOW THEY WANT $16,000.00 TO FIX IT. I'M WANTING TO DISABLE IT, PERHAPS BY DISCONNECTION THE WIRE LEADING TO THE SENSOR. WHICH MAY CAUSE THE COMPUTER TO SENSE THAT, ANY IDEAS?

2. daflk

daflk Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2013
    Hong Kong
    My dealer quoted $5,000 to fix the faulty sensor. The clutch temp sensor does nothing other than prompt an annoying, though non-audible (no annoying beep) text warning on the left TFT screen. No operations of the gearbox depend on the readings. I have ignored it and it hardly comes up anymore now that the weather has cooled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. hjay

hjay Rookie

Mar 20, 2008
    thank you for your reply

4. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    You might want to check the wires for cracks and/or clean out the connectors with compressed air. It's possible the sensor is failing or just the connection is bad. Usually those types of temperature sensors operate on resistance, so you might be able to check things with an ohm meter and see if it's actually functioning or not. A lot depends on if it's easy to gain access to the sensor in question, of course.

Sometimes it can also be a failure in the sub ECU, if there is one involved. I had an issue with my 355 that was a result of the cat ECU failing due to the insulation coming apart and water getting in.

Ray

5. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    I second Ray’s enlightening post, as always.

I’d just like to strongly advise against disabling the warning. In the unlikely event of a double failure (clutch overheating AND a disabled warning light), your safety net is gone. A lesson taught by commercial aviation, that imvho also applies here.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

SoftwareDrone and RayJohns like this.
  6. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Keep in mind also, there are two clutch temperature sensors. If you look at the wiring diagram for the Gearbox ECU, it shows there is a sensor for Clutch 1 Temperature (pin 8) and Clutch 2 Temperature (pin 45). The gearbox is a dual clutch design, so this would make sense. Does your warning indicate if it's sensor 1 or sensor 2?

Ray

7. hjay

hjay Rookie

Mar 20, 2008
    it does not indicate which sensor

8. Randbrit

Randbrit Rookie

Jun 3, 2017
    Rancho Mirage
    Full Name:
    Darrell Auxier
    So if understand correctly, just because the overheated clutch warning comes on, it doesn't mean that the clutches are going out, just the sensors, which doesnt affect performance.

9. Mafiaboy1975

Mafiaboy1975 Formula Junior

Aug 10, 2019
    South Africa
    Full Name:
    Mick
    I had the exact same issue on my car. After running full diagnostics online to the factory in Italy it was also found that the CCP and sensor were faulty and that the error was a result of a component failure of both parts.

The factory instruction was to replace the components.

Cost me about $16k to fix.

I’d suggest you get your dealer to get the factory to run full diagnostics it takes a while costs some bucks, but you will find out exactly what and where the issue is.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

10. Treehouse 1

Treehouse 1 Rookie

Feb 17, 2024
    I'm new to the forum and glad to finally be here. I'm having the same issue with my '13 458 Spider. 16k miles. Clutch Overheated light comes on randomly and rarely, on the left display, then immediately goes out. It's been happening for the last couple of years and there has been no discernable performance or degradation issues. It doesn't bother me as long as it's truly a sensor issue and not something that will adversely affect the DCT if left unattended. I'm getting very conflicting information as to whether a diagnostic can tell what the cause is without also dropping the transmission and opening the box to see what's up. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

Black Moon likes this.