458 Spider Top “Service Mode”? | FerrariChat

458 Spider Top “Service Mode”?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by DoubleD33, Nov 14, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DoubleD33

DoubleD33 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2012
    Pasadena, CA / Oahu, HI
    Full Name:
    Dan D
    If I am understanding correctly there is an access panel to the engine under the hard top.

How do you retract the top to get access to this panel? Can it be done without a scan tool?

the reason I ask is that at some time it seems I read somewhere on here the top should not be partly cycled as it could result in a jam requiring a reset.

Does manually operating it with the battery disconnected solve the issue?

2. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    There is a Ferrari special tool that holds the top in a fixed position with the key off, so you can remove the panel to provide access underneath.
    It is basically an insulated metal tube that you install across the car and insert between the metal arms of the top mechanism. You operate the top, stop it in the position to access the panel and insert the special tool. When you shut the ignition off, the top mechanism will time out after a few minutes and be supported by the special tool.
    You don't need any special scan tool and stopping the top in mid position will not cause it to jam.

Brian Brown
    San Francisco Motorsports