458 & 488 ECU Tuning + Mase Flash = Real Performance Gains | Page 2 | FerrariChat

458 & 488 ECU Tuning + Mase Flash = Real Performance Gains

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by MaseEngineering, May 13, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MaseEngineering

MaseEngineering Karting
    Sponsor

Oct 15, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Mase
    Very thankful for both of your reviews and kind words!

2. MaseEngineering

MaseEngineering Karting
    Sponsor

Oct 15, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Mase

I don't have any videos off hand, however I can actually customize the burbles to your liking, increase/decrease the length and/or intensity of the burbles at your desire. I can even give you multiple tune files and you can change it at any time.

v35 likes this.
  3. MaseEngineering

MaseEngineering Karting
    Sponsor

Oct 15, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Mase

I will try to find a dyno run graph for a speciale. But the gains are similar to the normal 458. The timing maps are slightly different, but still very conservative from the factory. I will shoot you a private message regarding the custom/in person tuning.

4. Vegas CS

Vegas CS Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 5, 2018
    Vegas
    Full Name:
    James
    All of these rave reviews are now making me think about bumping my Novitec exhaust/Mase tune plan ahead of my ‘69 Camaro LS swap. Lol

Mase, with the car at the dealership, I’m assuming they will be able to see the stock tune has been changed yes? Does the new tune turn off the O2 monitors to turn off cel? Is the new tune detectable as “not stock” to the new emission testers? Having to pass emissions in NV is my biggest concern.

Ash Patel likes this.
  5. MaseEngineering

MaseEngineering Karting
    Sponsor

Oct 15, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Mase
    We have had zero issues with our clients having their vehicles serviced after having their ECU Flashed. In fact, we work with a few dealerships. In terms of the CEL for. The emissions testing doesn't know if the ECU has been flashed or not, it will only pass or fail based on current readiness codes. I can only disable CEL (dtc codes) for "off road use only" PM me and we will discuss it further.

6. Vegas CS

Vegas CS Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 5, 2018
    Vegas
    Full Name:
    James
    I’m overseas at work but am very interested. I’ll give you a call instead of PM if that’s ok. I prefer “in person” communication. I may just do a tune for my car stock then do another one later when I do 200 cell cats and Novitec exhaust. Car is stock now with just BMC filters.

7. MaseEngineering

MaseEngineering Karting
    Sponsor

Oct 15, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Mase
    Of course no problem. My office line: 904-268-3001. Call any time.

docf and Astrid.Didier like this.
  8. MaseEngineering

MaseEngineering Karting
    Sponsor

Oct 15, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Mase
    We’ve received a bit of questions regarding both the exhaust burbles and throttle sensitivity. So I’d like to cover it more in detail.

For exhaust burble option. We can change the duration and intensity on however you wish. We can emulate the way the early 458 exhaust burbles sound. We can intensify it or make it longer duration too.

As for the throttle sensitivity, we had many clients complain how the throttle was overly sensitive on the highway at cruising speeds. That the engine would either accelerate or decelerate too easily with small throttle inputs. We can smooth this out so it’s easier to drive and make it more predictive on the throttle input. And again it’s customized based on how you would like it.

We always I’m happy to answer more questions as they arise.

Regards
    Steve

dustman likes this.
  9. Corradosv

Corradosv Karting

Oct 17, 2016
    Monaco MC
    What about the 458? If I order the handheld programmer, will I be able to flash the ECU's via OBD2, or will I have to remove them, despite being able to flash without shipping?

And: did I get you right that the programmer will download and store the OEM tune, and I can switch back and forth for an unlimited number of times?

10. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Unless I am reading this wrong you now have a handheld flash tuner (like Cobb or Open flash) that I can flash my car with and it will store the stock tune if I want to flash it back. I am not as interested in the power gains or exhaust sounds, I just want to make the throttle work the way it should. The moron who designed this should not be working on any car ever again.

11. MaseEngineering

MaseEngineering Karting
    Sponsor

Oct 15, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Mase
    Correct, on the 458, if you opt for the handheld option (which most people do), you are able to flash the ECUs directly from the OBD2 plug. You simply plug in the supplied cable to the programmer and follow the on screen prompts, its very simple and extremely straightforward.

The programmer will store the factory oem tune, and you can always flash back and forth at your desire. We even have some customers who option for additional maps such as race gas tune in additional to the pump gas ecu tune. The programmer can hold up to 5 different tunes.

docf and Corradosv like this.
  12. MaseEngineering

MaseEngineering Karting
    Sponsor

Oct 15, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Mase
    You are absolutely correct. The handheld is similar to the others your mentioned. You can flash the ECUs at your desire, and we can customize the tune to your individual specs and wishes, even if you prefer an option down the road, its just a matter of making a revision and emailing you the revised tune. Its that simple.

13. Corradosv

Corradosv Karting

Oct 17, 2016
    Monaco MC
    Thanks a lot, that clarifies.

14. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Thanks, I will be in touch with you very soon!

15. Whatupdoc

Whatupdoc Karting

Feb 17, 2020
    Would anyone mind posting the exhaust noise you have now with Mase tuning? Mainly the burbles/pops on lift off, thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Ash Patel likes this.
  16. F12JAJ

F12JAJ Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2016
    California
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    What type of tune is available for the Pista and what are the dyno proven gains?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. spyderman

spyderman Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Toronto - Canada
    Full Name:
    Spyderman
    Any updates on the Pista?

18. DoubleLow7

DoubleLow7 Rookie

Jun 8, 2012
    Steve - do you have an email address I can inquire additional details about the 488 tune?

19. DenverBob

DenverBob Rookie

May 24, 2015
    Updates on installed 488 Spyder ECU tune by Mase Engineering. This 488 Spider is stock with the exhaust valve vacuum hoses disconnected to have the open louder sound across the entire RPM range. This is third Ferrari ECU upgrade that Mase Engineering has completed for us. All good. This is the first one on a turbocharged Ferrari vehicle. On the Mase Engineering website it describes that the ECU upgrade for the 488 will turn the car into a rocket, gaining 22% more horsepower ant torque. Absolutely Correct! This is my take on the first drive with the upgraded ECU. In general there was significantly more power. Once on the interstate, clear skies, clear road ahead, slowed down to about 45 mph, in fourth gear, manual shifting, and then pushed the accelerator to the floor. The rush that followed was difficult to describe, although very intense, lucky the rear end did not break loose. And then, at about 70 mph everything went quiet as the car rocketed way past 125 mph. I then realized that the car had temporarily out run the speed of sound. At about 155 mph the sound reappeared and after a few more seconds it was time to slow down. Anyway, a rocket indeed, great investment. Thank you Steve and Mase Engineering.

20. AD211

AD211 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 19, 2017
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Andy
    If possible....and ‘safe’, a video would be great!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

21. Senna2394

Senna2394 Karting

Sep 12, 2020
    Full Name:
    Yousof
    Can you flash the 488 trough obd2?
    Havent seen anyone who can do it.

22. Julianfp

Julianfp Rookie

Aug 9, 2020
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Julian Farren-Price
    In December 2020 I got in touch with Steve at Mase Engineering as a result of positive comments on this forum. My prime concern was to get back the pops and crackles Ferrari have tune out on my 2014 458 Spider and hopefully improve the twitchy throttle which concerned me.
    Steve was super responsive and professional and sent a reader to Australia. Sadly it did not work with my ECU tune and he quickly sent another that did. The process was about as straight forward as you could hope and was done in about 10 minutes once Steve sent me the new tune.
    I can 100% recommend this to any 458 owner. The joy from the sound this car makes has transformed the owning experience. I will say I have a remote to keep the valves open and this really is a must to really enjoy the benefit 100% of the time. As far as the twitchy throttle goes it is harder to tell the difference as I think it might be more subtle but in any case the car is a pleasure to drive and having trouble finding time to drive my Porsche 911.1 GTS! Steve followed up after install which was nice also. A happy client. Just do it.

23. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    Is your exhaust system stock? Does the stock system have valves that open at a certain rpm? Are the remote control valves on the stock system available for sale?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

24. Julianfp

Julianfp Rookie

Aug 9, 2020
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Julian Farren-Price
    Yes exhaust is stock. The remote was fitted when I purchased the car. In the off position it behaves like factory ie valves automatically open at pre-set revs. In the on position the valves are open all the time and transform the car especially around town when you don’t tend to rev it out. With the Mass flash and valves open the car crackles and pops on the downshift from less than 3000rpm. I was not to happy with the sound of the 458 compared to my 911.1 with AWE exhaust (which is awesome) but the Mase tune changed that and it is difficult to know which one to drive now. I certainly feel no need to move from the standard exhaust with the valve remote and Mase tune. Highly recommended

25. Live2win

Live2win Karting

Sep 27, 2019
    Pasadena MD
    Full Name:
    David perkins
    Ferrari got rid of the exhaust crackles etc because it was damaging the valves . They got tired of replacing them .

please keep that in mind.