458 - Going from 458 to 488, experience? | FerrariChat

458 Going from 458 to 488, experience?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Adamtensta, Nov 15, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Adamtensta

Adamtensta Karting

Jan 9, 2019
    Scandinavia
    Full Name:
    Adam Tensta
    Hi,

For those of you who went from 458 to 488, how did you feel about the shift? Did you regret it? If no, what is it in 488 that makes you like it more? Or did you go back to 458 and why then?

Thanks for sharing,

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

Astrid.Didier likes this.
  2. Big A

Big A Karting

Jan 21, 2015
    Australia
    I see there have been no responses yet and I’ll guess why. This will turn into I went to a 488 from 458 and it was crap. 458 is the best. Then next will be, went to the 488 and it is the best and the 458 is crap compared to the 488.

So in the attempt of keeping this from turning into another which is better thread, if you are considering moving from a 458 to a 488 go drive a 488 and make your own mind about which you prefer. Both are great cars. The 458 will suit some people better and offer them a more rewarding experience and the 488 will suit some better offer them the more rewarding experience.
    They are similar in some aspects and very different in others. Only you can decide which one is better for you.
    I own a 458 and drove a 488 for only a few laps on a track. I decided the 458 was the better car for me. But again I’m not saying as a matter of fact that the 458 is a better car. It’s just better for what I’m looking for. And there are many on here who have found the 488 to be the better car for them.

3. Adamtensta

Adamtensta Karting

Jan 9, 2019
    Scandinavia
    Full Name:
    Adam Tensta
    Thanks for your response. I get it can do in that direction, but was hoping for some constructive personal feedback.

I'm trying to stay away from testing the 488 just because I'm so happy with the 458. But will see if I can resist it next summer.

4. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    As someone who has owned close to 500 cars I get asked a lot for car advise. I believe things need a purpose, and so every car I own or have owned fits some purpose. I just bought a white 458 spider, why because I always wanted to own a white Ferrari, that is all the purpose I have for it for now. It is in winter storage (I drove it for a week before it went in), but when it comes out in April I will see what other purpose I have for it. I see cars as nothing more than machines, some better machines than others, all can be made better. So you need to say to yourself, what is your purpose for owning a 458, and will the 488 have some other purpose that the 458 does not fulfill. I don't know what it is like where you live but in my little corner of the world you cannot use any sports car to its full potential, so my purposes for my cars have nothing to do with which is a better drivers car. I have cars that I drive when there is a valet, I have winter cars (they are all out now) and summer cars, even my dogs have a car. I have driven a 488 and there is nothing that it can do that the 458 cannot, at least on the street with the limitations my surroundings put on driving any car. Most people buy cars like these because of some emotional thing, I have no emotional connection to a machine, so if you see them as I do, maybe you can answer your question without a test drive. Good luck.

jomarti1, VAF84 and gh0st0 like this.
  5. gh0st0

gh0st0 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 2, 2018
    Midwest
    488 in all aspects is better than the 458. But it’s what you like that matters, some seem to have the hang up because the 488 isn’t NA, it’s the same argument the Porsche guys had in the 991.1 vs 991.2.

6. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Having had both cars , I can honestly say there is a quickness value to the 488. I’m not going to debate sound because it’s different. I do not track my cars so I won’t comment on that either. The 458 was a 100pct better car than the 430 ( I had a 430 ). The 488 IMHO is maybe 40-50pct better ,faster and to my eyes better looking. Was it worth 150k more than my 458 ? I’m not so sure. At this point the delta may be 75k , which in my opinion is worth the difference. Remember this is only my experience , yours may be different. Best , Kirk

Ps. Either car is a winner , so whatever fits your budget.

7. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    458 has the sound and a different emotion. Car feels a bit fragile.
    488 is a more competent, planted, confidence inspiring car. Also more rigid.
    Depends what you want.

Astrid.Didier likes this.
  8. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    If you think you may like more power for your 458, the 488 could be considered; also it seems you have a spider, and the general feedback is that the 488 spider has more stiffness than the 458.
    But apart from globally enhanced performance, you will not get much from a 488 compared to a 458 - and you'll lose the N/A sound and feeling that's important for some.
    If you like the feeling of the N/A 458 and do not look for a quicker car, the 488 is probably of little (or no) value for you.

9. Adamtensta

Adamtensta Karting

Jan 9, 2019
    Scandinavia
    Full Name:
    Adam Tensta
    Very helpful and interesting feedback. Thanks all.

Honestly, I came from a 911.1 4s to a 458 and after owning it for a few months, I feel the 458 has way more power than I could imagine and it scares me a bit so I don't need more power for now :)

I like the rear part of 488 more than the 458 just because it looks more modern, but front part I think both are beautiful

sparetireless likes this.
  10. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Funny this topic comes up every other week....the list:
    NA vs Turbo
    Linear power progression vs Instant Torque
    F1 sound (modifies) vs quieter exhaust
    Smooth side lines vs side vents
    ...(add here)
    Take your pick

Sent from my 16M

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  11. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
  12. Steinhart

Steinhart Formula Junior

May 21, 2019
    Scottsdale, AZ, USA
    my 991.2 TTS is faster than my 458 but not on the street, speed is not the determining factor

driving experience is another matter, I prefer NA over turbo

go drive it!

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  13. pdxjim488

pdxjim488 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 25, 2018
    488 has Apple CarPlay as an option.

sampelligrino likes this.
  14. Adamtensta

Adamtensta Karting

Jan 9, 2019
    Scandinavia
    Full Name:
    Adam Tensta
    Yeah not so important to me. I'm an android guy

15. Adamtensta

Adamtensta Karting

Jan 9, 2019
    Scandinavia
    Full Name:
    Adam Tensta
    Don't think it's gone in that direction yet so let's not encourage it :)

16. pdxjim488

pdxjim488 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 25, 2018
    What is this Android thing you are talking about? :)

17. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I personally didn't care for the 488. I had my 458 for 3 years and 10K+ miles and loved every second of it. After 800 miles with the 488, I just took it back to the dealer and told them to get rid of it. Even after the first 100 miles in the 488, I knew it wasn't what I wanted. Shifts at redline are god awful. The exhaust note sucks.

Ferrari has started to stray too far from their roots if you ask me. There seems to be an ever increasing number of people who are just going back to the 458. I know for me, after my experience with the 488 - and seeing all these new cars they have on offer - I will be most likely buying another 458 down the road. Stuff like the F8, SF90 and now this Roma thing just don't do it for me.

The 488 is fun in terms of having a bit more power, but to me it never felt like as pure of a Ferrari experience as say the 360 or the 458 did.

Ray

18. Big A

Big A Karting

Jan 21, 2015
    Australia
    @Adamtensta , from your comments you seem pretty happy with your 458. So what is it your looking for. What would be the purpose of moving to the 488?
    I get it though, sometimes you just get the itch for something new. I got that earlier this year after 4 years with the 458. I picked up a huracan performante. But I still have not been able to part with the 458 yet.

19. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    holy cow 500?? do you have pics of your collection???

Rrr1 likes this.
  20. Adamtensta

Adamtensta Karting

Jan 9, 2019
    Scandinavia
    Full Name:
    Adam Tensta
    It's exactly what you're saying, just itching a bit and thinking of replacing one of my other cars with something. Don't think I will replace my 458 for a while but maybe some of my other cars. BTW, seems like this itching always happens during winter time...

21. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Without beating the dead horse again. I can simplify my feelings about the two cars. If I want to drive fast, the 488 wins. If I want to drive slow, the 458 wins.

In other words, FOR ME, the 488 is a better tool and faster. The 458 has MUCH better sound and emotion. For street driving (ie. slow <140mph), I'll take my 458!
    As others have said, you need to test drive it to see how you feel. People seem to be split 50/50 on what car is better for them.

LVP488 and Astrid.Didier like this.
  22. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    I do ;) - with similar drivers a 488 would run rings around a 458 on any track; even a Speciale would have a hard time against a 488. That's not really surprising given the power difference, the chassis of the 488 would need to be really bad to allow the 458 to compete (and there is no reason for a newer Ferrari to have a chassis not as good as the previous one).

Napoli likes this.
  23. Rostami6

Rostami6 Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 24, 2013
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Amir
    Napoli and gh0st0 like this.
  24. Adamtensta

Adamtensta Karting

Jan 9, 2019
    Scandinavia
    Full Name:
    Adam Tensta
    Well in this scenario the 458 would be my preferred choice. I don't drive it on track, that I do with my 911, and it's hard to reach more than 250km/h on these roads

xfrgtr likes this.
  25. vonbeeler

vonbeeler Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Looks like that 458 is about to be lapped

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Napoli and Cigarzman like this.