Ferrari ROMA | Page 46 | FerrariChat

Ferrari ROMA

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by ajr550, Feb 7, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SAT4RE

SAT4RE Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2003
    Blairsville, GA
    Just in case you thought the similarities are something new:

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    1963 Ferrari 250 GT Lusso

1963 Aston Martin DB5

Again, great front-engine designs by their nature will share similarities, simply because they share the same design elements required to make them great.

perrinnation, Bundy, anunakki and 5 others like this.
  2. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Not only is that incredibly depressing and sad, it's a blatant statement that officially says, "not a real Ferrari". And combined with the fact that they did not bother to put shields on it, just underlines it. It's a generic GT for the masses who don't care whether the badge says Ferrari, AM, Jag or Porsche.

HotShoe and jm2 like this.
  3. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    Have you seen those cars in person? They aren’t even remotely similar other than they both have four wheels.

jm2 likes this.
  4. ferrariwithsnowtires

ferrariwithsnowtires Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2005
    I love sports cars and I would love to own a Ferrari (my wife perceives the owner type as gold chain wearing and taking every opportunity to show everyone they meet how much richer they are)

Some folks like me say the shields should be reserved for the race cars (I know I am in the minority)

They clearly want to expand their customer base so I applaud them for stuff like the hybrid SF90 and the Roma

Plus they finally got rid of those goofy HVAC controls

500tr likes this.
  5. Griffon83

Griffon83 Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2016
    Greece
    Full Name:
    Nassos
    The DB5 was designed by Carrozzeria Touring, hence the "similarities" with the 250 GT Lusso.

perrinnation likes this.
  6. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    This is the most disturbing thing I’ve ever read. Infuriating to think it was said by an exec.

IMO does not bode well for the future direction of my beloved brand.

jm2 likes this.
  7. XDINO

XDINO Karting

Feb 20, 2008
    Chicago / Naples
    Full Name:
    Rich
    jm2 likes this.
  8. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Well, you appear to have misread what I wrote and jumped to the wrong conclusions.

I said it's not good for Ferrari's brand image to ditch so many iconic design cues so quickly. I also said I suspect Ferrari's management is trying to broaden its revenue base. I didn't say it would necessarily hurt its finances or share prices, at least in the short run.

Most car fans who are active on FChat are into Ferrari cars, not Ferrari's corporate revenue or even its share prices. I will let other Ferrari owners consider the merits of pursuing sales volume and approval of investment fund/shareholders. One need only to look at BMW and wonder where their brand value has gone, at the expense of chasing sales volume. Porsche sells a zillion versions of the same 911 platform and is noticeably a lot down market compared to Ferrari once you sit inside one of them. That's how they save money, boost profits. I don't think Ferrari should copy Porsche, or BMW.

Exclusivity and pursuit of sales volume at the behest of shareholders do not go well together.

VAF84 likes this.
  9. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    It's just directed at a different demographic; people who like old styling and who might be older themselves.

"Described by the Italian firm as an all-new model, Ferrari commercial chief Enrico Galliera said it represents "a new gran turismo". "Nobody can question this is a sports car," he said, "but it's also very elegant."

Galleria said that the Roma has been designed to appeal to potential customers who would "love to drive a sports car or a Ferrari but might be a bit afraid of one." He added: "This car will attract people who have never driven a sports car, who drive something less aggressive and now want something a bit more extreme."

The Roma has a retro design that Ferrari design chief Flavio Manzoni said was inspired by classic front-engined Ferraris from the 1960s, such as the 250 GT Berlinetta and 2+2. Despite that, Manzoni said the design is intended to look to the future. "We don't like the nostalgic approach," he said. "We like to innovate. The idea was to develop a car that would be perfect to take to the track and then to drive to the opera.""

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/updated-more-details-new-v8-powered-ferrari-roma

elmadi and R J like this.
  10. Garretto

Garretto F1 Rookie

Sep 3, 2003
    Bilbao, Spain
    Full Name:
    Rodolfo Di Pietro
    One would think so, indeed. Let's hope that's just some PR BS as they need to fill lines of text and minutes of speech and the driving reviews can confirm it is another great Ferrari product, albeit in it's own niche. Let's hope.

11. ohno

ohno Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2009
    Blu Roma AND Grigio... and well in reality a Ferrari is much much better than on pictures.

12. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    I wouldn't worry much. There have always been this kind of models in the line up. As long as they keep produce SF90 Stradales, 812s and Pistas, all is well in the Kingdom of Ferrari. ;)

13. ferrarist

ferrarist Formula Junior

Mar 16, 2001
    Istanbul / TURKEY
    Full Name:
    I.K.
    Anyone here with good photoshop skills to fit SP Monza wheels? I expect it to have a killer look. Any info about the wheel options by the way? Apart from the ones we already saw.

14. Principissimo

Principissimo Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2015
    Milano
    Full Name:
    Bruno
    Oredered it and already had 3 ;)

G. Pepper likes this.
  15. Principissimo

Principissimo Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2015
    Milano
    Full Name:
    Bruno
    That's what i was about to say :D:D

16. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    I'm not too worried due to the Roma anymore. It's growing on me like vanilla ice cream. :)

I'm worried that Ferrari has execs in decision making positions who would say such a thing. The minute a car company starts trying to please everyone and listens to focus groups they are done. I mean, c'mon, a Ferrari for people who are afraid of Ferrari's? That has got to be one of the dumbest things I have ever heard.

"The client is not always right." - Enzo Ferrari

stavura, day355, R J and 6 others like this.
  17. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Well you can get any color you want for the right price! ;) I think historic metallics are around $12k option, the 3 layer pearl metallics are like $23-27k and the factory matte is in the low $30k range. I just saw a black matte Pista and seem to recall they said $34k* was the paint cost...

BTW you can apply matte or satin easily by just getting the base, no-charge black paint [or Daytona black] and then spending $4-6k on either matte or satin clearbra wrap.

llk and of2worlds like this.
  18. Astrid.Didier

Astrid.Didier Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2019
    The ROMA will be the best-selling "high end" sports car in the world soon.

G. Pepper likes this.
  19. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    That's the thing. A sportscar designed by committee. Soulless and pointless. I'm not worried about the Roma either, because I doubt I will ever bother having a seat in one, lest alone driving one. But it is very sad and as was said, disturbing, that a representative for what is probably the single most coveted and iconic marque there is, will say that. The fear does not lie in the car itself, but rather what it represents. Knowing how it was conceived and what Ferraris intention was, I cannot and will not consider it a Ferrari. Entry level baby-Ferrari wannabe for the masses that everybody likes. Only issue is that when everybody likes it, it also means that it is generic and without focus. Truly sad.

HotShoe likes this.
  20. Astrid.Didier

Nov 8, 2019
    And It's a new market for Ferrari, it reminds me when Bentley decided to release their Continental GT for the first time in 2003, which turned out to be their best selling car ever!

21. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    One thing to keep in mind. When Bentley did that, they had little to lose and needed something to help them survive. Bentley was a shadow of what it used to be and had been on the decline for decades. Ferrari did not have to do this. It's all about RACE.

HotShoe and Astrid.Didier like this.
  22. GrigioFox

GrigioFox Rookie

Dec 13, 2016
    As someone who was fortunate to be at the launch on Wednesday night, I have been intrigued, amused and occasionally annoyed to see the various reactions here to this gorgeous car.

Ferrari are masters at creating different cars for different driving experiences. I have driven over 200,000 miles in Ferraris and owned both V8s (mid, front, normal and turbo) and V12s. Whilst I put shields and chose a strong vibrant colour for a 488, I would not choose to drive it from the UK to Southern Europe: It is a car for an exhilarating ride, ideally in optimum conditions. 200 miles is enough in one day - certainly for my wife!

For a V12, I choose more subtle, darker colours, avoid the shields and the bright calipers. I use them for real long distance GT Continental touring and occasionally for relaxed local trip. The F12 and 812 are a bit more ostentatious and whilst that doesn't really bother me, there are times when it isn't really ideal for everyday use.

So the Roma appeals to me as a very stylish understated Ferrari that I know has the performance when I want it. But its elegance and, dare I say, the price(!), makes it a very attractive option for regular use - without the shields! Please don't compare it to a 488 or an 812 - it is a different car that serves a different purpose as far as I am concerned.

If this happens to open up a new market for Ferrari - so what? We can all choose the Ferrari that suits our own appetite or desires.

stavura, randkin, XDINO and 11 others like this.
  23. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    yes, that comment is bothersome.
    i also am far less interested in a car for 'every man', or one that is perceived to be easy to live with, or tame, or just a little bit more exotic than their daily driver....
    i like(d) ferrari for the aspects of pleasing and different design, a degree of exclusivity, and the fact that no every person could or would easily drive them around as a daily etc. yes i own(ed) 456's, but then again, there was very little else like it on the road, it has a v12, and it was the flagship production car for a little while.

my favorite car in my garage is the 512tr, and that is partially because the design is outrageous, and it is not the easiest car to live with or drive on a daily basis. it takes commitment. i like that

HotShoe likes this.
  24. Astrid.Didier

Nov 8, 2019
    The car is more than gorgeous. This is Ferrari most beautiful car in their whole history along with their 250 GTO.

Lucky you Grigio , that you have seen the ROMA live ♥♥♥♥♥

Attached Files:

G. Pepper likes this.