Ferrari ROMA | Page 47 | FerrariChat

Ferrari ROMA

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by ajr550, Feb 7, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    you joined this forum 7 days ago. there is zero info in your profile.....and since then
    you have posted your adoration of the roma dozens of times over multiple threads....

have you placed an order for one already?
    if so, then what colors did you choose?
    or are you a shill?

stavura, Juvendude, AD211 and 4 others like this.
  2. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Really? Can we? Not so. Because of this and the FUV coming later on, people cannot choose the V12 Lusso or a V12 successor. So how does this not mean that people cannot choose the Ferrari they want? If you think this will not affect the rest of the lineup, you're wrong, because it already has.

This generic thing has basically pushed out a thoroughbred V12, and in a few years the Chelsea Tractor will put another nail in the coffin.

And why is the wife thing important? In a day and age where the political correctness is at its all time peak, it's interesting to note that while some ladies prefer something more subdued, there's also a lot who won't settle for a toned down girls blouse of a car. Ask my wife what she would prefer. She'd take a 488 or 250GTE before this. Ferrari should not seek to lower their standards when it comes to performance. Even the more raunchy models are in fact not that difficult to handle when just driving normally. If you can't handle a Lusso V12, there's a good chance you cannot handle the Roma either, because power to weight is pretty close. Most women I associate with, would be quite livid if one insinuated that Ferrari had now made a car that would be better suited for them as it was softer and easy to live with. If you want soft and easy to live with, get a 911 or a Panamera, and lets at least try and keep the Ferrari a proper Italian exotic thoroughbred.

355TDI likes this.
  3. Astrid.Didier

Astrid.Didier Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2019
    Honestly, I can't offer it now if it comes with 250.000 euro or maybe more, but for sure in a couple of years I'll get myself a used one, and if I had to choose a particular color it would be the new Blu ROMA color. I hope I can find a used one with that same color in a couple of years.

4. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Funny. Earlier when I asked you, you were looking into ordering an F8...

5. Astrid.Didier

Nov 8, 2019
    True, but Ferrari need to grow, especially since it went public.

6. rocketman

rocketman Formula 3

Oct 1, 2009
    NY & Miami
    #1156 rocketman, Nov 15, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2019

Agreed -
    I call ******** on the poster.
    Never heard an F-chatter ramble on so incessantly about a car.....non stop gibberish with one childish post after another.
    Get ready for all the BS excuses when confronted.
    Willing to bet he isn't old enough to drive

7. GrigioFox

GrigioFox Rookie

Dec 13, 2016

Well there wasn't an FF or a Lusso before 2011 and life moves on.

And, the "wife thing" is perhaps more a reflection of both my driving and my sense of humour! Sorry!!

8. Astrid.Didier

Nov 8, 2019
    True, but sadly I couldn't offer it new too. :) A used 488 is an option or I wait for a used F8 or Roma

9. mthompson2376

mthompson2376 Formula Junior

Feb 2, 2017
    North East England
    Full Name:
    Mark Thompson
  10. Prancing 12

Prancing 12 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 11, 2004
    The long way home
    This seems like a very short-sighted post, considering the realities of the market.

I don't see the Roma as having "pushed out a thoroughbred V12" - the Lusso is an updated version of a model that's going on 8 years old now. One way or another, the Lusso was getting long-in-the-tooth and was due for a replacement anyways. It's never been a real sales success. While there are some "real" Lusso buyers out there, it is more widely viewed (correctly) as a "Ferrari Tax" - the price you pay to stay in Ferraris good books for more desirable models.

Furthermore, I don't think I've ever heard anyone, here or IRL describe the Lusso as attractive or beautiful, in the way you'd expect a Ferrari to be described. Sure, there are varying degrees of acceptance of the looks, in the name of practicality, or "being different" and all that, but I think it's fair to say it's not objectively beautiful. Similarly, if less so, the Portofino rarely described as conventionally beautiful. There are design elements that are necessary to accommodate the folding hard top, and there are other elements that attempt to create a look of "aggressive-ness", but again, it's not a very coherent design and not conventionally beautiful.

There is a good reason that the Roma shares a resemblance to the DB11, Vantage and F-Type (all cars widely considered to be "good looking) - the layout of a front engined coupe essentially has to look this way. Current safety regs dictate a lot of the design that fits into a contemporary package... There's really only so many ways to skin this cat.

Beyond that, whether you (or the collective "we") like it or not, RACE has an obligation to profit. I can't imagine anyone thinking the Roma will be less profitable than the Lusso, or that the new design language will have a broader appeal (i.e. new buyers).

Anecdotally, the Roma is the first Ferrari I could see purchasing at this stage of my life. I have a young family and cannot otherwise justify the value proposition posed by any other new Ferrari model. From a use-case basis, I'm too busy with my kids and don't have the time anymore to make use of a dedicated sports car, where as the Roma would allow me to scratch that Ferrari-itch while having the kids tag along (for now, while they're small enough to squeeze into those seats!). For me, the Portofino is a non-starter and I've never found the Lusso appealing enough to justify it over some of the other 2+2 alternatives. Otherwise I would be probably be 5 years away from being in position to justify a new F-Car... The Roma has accelerated that time frame, which is a good enough reason to me for its existence.

008, 355TDI, Bundy and 3 others like this.
  11. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Prior to the Lusso and FF, there was the 612, and prior to that, the 456, and prior to that, the 412 etc... Ferrari has a long tradition with Super GT V12 2+2 cars, and now that has come to an end. In fact, it was what Enzo normally preferred to drive. Removing the "full size" 2+2 V12 is in fact removing a huge piece of Ferrari history and heritage.

355TDI and day355 like this.
  12. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Disagree 100 percent. With or without fender shields and even with a more approachable driving experience the Roma is still a Ferrari. What is wrong with advising potential customers that this new Ferrari will not swallow them whole like a 599 Fiorano might? Or the 458 that seems to bite the careless new owner with no hint of mercy? Least this be thought of as only a "Ferrari" problem spare a thought for those new McLaren owners whose brand new car didn't survive one day of ownership intact. I see nothing wrong with encouraging potential new Roma owners to safely enjoy this shiny new "Ferrari experience" with confidence!

13. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    True! They are front-mid engine supercars at heart after all, not GTs and that's why bright colours suite them.

Solid State and Il Co-Pilota like this.
  14. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Seems to be the twin brother of the SF90 Stradale hater, whose nickname I shan't mention... Same degree of obsessive compulsive behaviour!!!

Il Co-Pilota and Astrid.Didier like this.
  15. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    When I say pushed out, it's based on the notion that 2020 would have been the year for the Lusso replacement. But there will not be a Lusso replacement because the Roma has, and the FUV will replace it. Tell me where I am incorrect in stating that the entry level V8 that was made for the masses, has replaced what would have been a main stable of the Ferrari V12 line for decades?

You justify it because of people with a young family can't afford the more upscale models, so therefore Ferrari should make cheaper cars? Ferrari was never about that, and that was part of the excitement and allure. It was never meant to be easy or cheap. By no means is 250 usd cheap for a car, but you get my drift. Have you considered that the pleasure you have received from attaining a higher goal five years from now, rather than the instant gratification from a lesser model, would in fact feel like a bigger and more joyful accomplishment? The more accessible it gets, the less special it gets.

16. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    This.

17. Astrid.Didier

Nov 8, 2019
    "Obsessive compulsive behaviour" (Honestly, I liked that sentence;):))

18. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    gotta say that i agree with all this.
    was in a similar position once and bought the 456.
    this is the alternative today.
    valid argument

Prancing 12 likes this.
  19. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Lol. Had the same thought.

REALZEUS likes this.
  20. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    "This is Ferrari most beautiful car in their whole history along with their 250 GTO."

Now there's a strong statement.......

Astrid.Didier likes this.
  21. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean

I agree the statement by ferrari sucks, I cant imagine why they would even say that.

On the other had it truly looks to be an elegant design, with shades of my favorite daytona about it.
    Most if not all moderns are pretty bland to drive unless really pressing on, so will it be less exiting at road attainable speeds than any other electronic paddle car?

It will be interestign to see if ferrari has some inbuilt lower speed driving dynamics, ie fun below 100mph, or its pure bland Gt.

With rare exceptions modern ferraris are one and all bland and easy, and most dont work on track. How is this car different. I guess it has less on paper performance than some, but still more than plenty.

Sattements indicate it is going to be softer than the others, maybe there will be the handling version later.

I do compare it to the new Vantage, but the vanatge is apparently more raw and has a stick option, so more of a drivers car, but its fugly in extremis.

To me in a year or two when they have a handlign performance package, it would be the ferrari to buy, the daytona suessor.

it also heralds a new dawn at ferrari, the return to elegant design.

22. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    Strong or wrong? :)

jm2 likes this.
  23. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    But we surely agree that all of the current modern paddle ferraris are easy to live with. So how is this car different? Maybe its just softer all around.

24. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    ;)

G. Pepper likes this.