Ferrari ROMA | Page 48 | FerrariChat

Ferrari ROMA

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by ajr550, Feb 7, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Yup. I think it's safe to say that most would never agree. Not saying the 250GTO is not beautiful, because it is, but for most beautiful cars? Not sure either would even make it into a top 5. Rarity and heritage is not the same as beauty:)

stavura, day355 and 500tr like this.
  2. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Oh boy, wars have started with less provocation that this...

BTW, I vehemently disagree. Most modern Ferraris are great at any speed (most supercars are, I would say) and they have been setting lap records left and right.

Hopefully it handles better than that dinosaur...

3. rocketman

rocketman Formula 3

Oct 1, 2009
    NY & Miami
    #1178 rocketman, Nov 15, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
    His last post stated he would turn off his post notifications so he wouldn’t be bothered by them so frequently and then deleted the post and then liked this post....lol.
    **Don’t let the door hit you on the way out Astrid !
    I think it’s fair to say you will be ignored from here on in.

4. Prancing 12

Prancing 12 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 11, 2004
    The long way home
    I got a little off track on my post, so let me have another go - I said "based on the realities of the market", which I intended to mean a few things; firstly, from the perspective of a (now) publicly traded company, the Lusso is a commecial failure. RACE cannot afford to have a car such as a Lusso taking up their bandwidth. It may have worked to have a quirky, niche car that you can use as a carrot on a stick when it was Ferrari, but that model doesn't work for RACE.

Secondly, in the era of ever increasingly stringent CO2 regs, the days were already numbered for low-volume, niche V12. To look at it another way, eliminating the Lusso slot in the lineup (V12 2+2) may prolong the ability of RACE to produce a far more commercially viable V12 GT (812 successor, etc).

I wasn't trying to project my situation on justifying the Roma, but (anecdotally), it's likely one more sale Ferrari can count sooner than 5 years out... I doubt I'm the only one. Like it or not, that's all that matters anymore.

5. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    That's my though on it. And the question is, how much softer should a Ferrari be? At some point, it stops being special. For some, that line was crossed 12 years ago, for others, still not etc. I'm getting close. I have never in my life felt upset about the release of any car, and have always found it a bit pointless when people did get upset. I was never in the Maserati California camp either etc. but this time, I will be honest and say that this somehow gets to me and bothers me on a more personal level. Maybe it's a case of sucking it up and stop being an entitled snob, but for now, yes, I do feel as if something I care about has been devalued in a pretty big way. That does bother me and make me worry for the future of something I care about.

boxerman likes this.
  6. Astrid.Didier

Astrid.Didier Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2019
    Unwatched the thread I'v created, I'm sorry if I have bothered anyone with lots and lots of posts, but I really don't know why you guys hate the ROMA, it's a very elegant design.

7. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Ok modern ferraris on track, were a long way from the 250swb a car that worked on street and really worked on track. I pretty much never see a ferrari on track, actualy Ill restate that, I never see a street ferrari on track, except at ferrari club events, and those events struggle to get as many cars as they did 30 years ago.
    On road modern ferraris may thrill to decieve, but they mostly bland at road speeds and yes hyundai easy to drive.True if you live in Argentina, the middle east or parts of Africa where you can still really fully deploy a car on road a modern ferrari at 9/10ths may be exciting and better than others. But mostly they're enginered to work easily in modern traffic for the talentless and yess impress for a few laps on magazine test to impress the walter mitty's. Not to say theyre not excellent machines or cool cars, but like Maclkarens and others theyre all pretty much Gt cars that can turn some really fast laps.

My question is are they rewarding to drive in way the older cars were(I'll grant there still evocative), are they rewarding at road speeds the way something like a lotus or Gt3 is. I dont see how this car is different to most other new ferraris, except maybe the pista/f8.

Frankly I'd love it to be a feddbacky rewading car to drive with glorious sounds in the cabin, because it sure looks elegant and I have no doubt the motor is as excellent as a modern turboed motor can be. But yes maybe its going to be way to quiet and the suspesion even way too soft.

8. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    i actually think it is a very nice car and certainly the best design since the 458 came out.
    my comment was in reference to the comment quoted by the ferrari exec who suggested that the roma was a car aimed at the weak and timid.....

some other poster made the very valid point that since the lusso is now discontinued and the portofino back seats are really tiny (and it's fugly), that this might be the only solution for a family car from ferrari that is not an abominable suv. and i can agree with that and therefore see its value in the lineup.

9. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    You may be right, but then its no different to a california so that bridge was crossed long ago, except its nicer looking by far. Hopefully they make a handling version of this car when the mercedes sl crowd fails to cross over.

10. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    No worries.

One thing to keep in mind as far as how you look at it. I don't think the 812 is currently at risk. And remember that it is not in Ferrari's GT line of cars. Not sure how this will prolong RACE's ability to produce a V12 successor in the Sportscar line. One really has little to do with the other. The 812 and Lusso was never part of the same family so to speak, as one was a GT and the other a V12 supercar. But I fear it will be the opposite. People who bought the Lusso also often have a penchant for the 812, and vise versa. So what happens when the clients that were in it for the V12 2+2 give up? It will definitely also hurt V12 sportscar sales, and thus RACE will simply come to the conclusion that the V12 sportscar is not worth making. Boom. No more V12 Ferrari.

11. Hetmanski

Hetmanski Rookie

Aug 28, 2019
    Full Name:
    Hetmanski Yura
  12. Astrid.Didier

Nov 8, 2019
    It's not personal, it's about the car, and it's not a fight little man.

13. Astrid.Didier

Nov 8, 2019
  14. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean

I agree, first beautiful one since the 458(that and the prior aston vantage are seminal modern pieces, and the 458 was the first beautiful one in along time. So its good to see ferrari returning to classicaly beautiful cars with modern lines. The rear haunches are the only part I dont love, kinda jaguar.

Yes the coment by the ferrari exec seems melody lee stupid. Is this car softer than a cali or whatever its called these days? First modern ferrari I'm motoivated by since the 458, but yeah maybe its just too soft, but then ferrari can fix that and make a great road car, just as they had to do when they made the 575 too soft at first.

Make mine not too soft but still road compliant ie not ridiculously hard, great steering witrh actual feeback(copy porche) and Ill overlook the paddles, or yeah give us a stick(doubtful), but since its not a mid engined techno car maybe there will be a stick.

Looks great, the rest is fixable. Its the modern rendition of the 365GTC4. I dont think the back seats are useable, so maybe no lusso replacement, thats going to be the SUV. Thats the world we live in.

R J, gt_lusso and Astrid.Didier like this.
  15. Prancing 12

Prancing 12 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 11, 2004
    The long way home
    I have to admit that I'm not fully familiar with the ins and outs of emissions regulations placed on manufacturers, but my general understanding is that on the whole, an entire model lineup for a manufacturer has to average out to some preset level. Based on this (possibly flawed) understanding, having the low-volume Lusso V12 in the lineup was taking up valuable emissions allocation. To use a sports analogy, it would be like having a big-name, but has-been player on your roster still earning the same salary from his bygone glory days... He might be a fan favourite, and you'd sure like to keep him around, but you can't justify his large salary when he doesn't play as many minutes or put up nearly as many points as that exciting new rookie... Nostalgia is not a sufficient business-case.

16. Astrid.Didier

Nov 8, 2019
    FIRST LOOK: Ferrari Roma (Top Gear)

17. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    European riles are different to USA rules. here manufacturers can just pay a "fine" for the number of MPgs below the stadard their fleet fails. that number is irrelevant when looking at a ferraris price.We also dont have the exhaust particulate rule which is making euor cars heavier slower and less noisy. Nor do we have your pedestrian impact rules which make euro cars uglier. Thats quite a turnabout from years ago when USA rules were far more strict and out cars were uglier and slower..

The NA V12 will be saved by the electric flywheel assist and some clever other technologies, so I dont see it going away. The Lusso simply didnt sell well, even though its arguably ferraris most interesting car, and most road relevent. In the end it was too expensive and too weird looking for most, and there were just too many other options for what it offers.

Prancing 12 and Astrid.Didier like this.
  18. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    If it's not personal and you want these gentlemen to treat you with respect, I suggest you lead by example rather than escalate the situation.

You're the new girl in town Astrid. There's always a right and a wrong way into a new "club".

REALZEUS and Astrid.Didier like this.
  19. Astrid.Didier

Nov 8, 2019
    They take everything personal, a new pretty car and lots of love posts for the car, isn't normal. Astrid is not a name it's "of the stars" .

20. Astrid.Didier

Nov 8, 2019
    But it's a name in Copenhagen, right?

21. Bernie Hoffman

Aug 7, 2018
    Full Name:
    Bernie Hoffman
    #1196 Bernie Hoffman, Nov 15, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2019
    eladoppel, 9nb, of2worlds and 5 others like this.
  22. Astrid.Didier

Nov 8, 2019
    And of course I'm not convincing anybody to buy the car! He said that I'm a shill !!!!

23. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Well, in my neck of the woods, it's a girls name. Quite common in fact. Ever heard of Pippi Longstocking and The Brothers Lionheart?

At any rate, girl or boy, same applies.

REALZEUS and Astrid.Didier like this.
  24. Astrid.Didier

Nov 8, 2019
    I'm a girl (woman), but my name is not Astrid! I have never mentioned it now or before, I like to hide my gender/ my name, because we are not on Facebook, I'm a very ugly girl and very very tall, you will never like me any way hhh.

25. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    The 250 SWB would be eaten alive by a Civic Type R nowadays around a track. I regularly see modern Ferraris on tracks, that's why we hold those track days anyway. They are great at it, much better than their predecessors ever were. You want to know what the difference with the past is? In the past, race cars were just road cars with better tyres. Nowadays race cars are much more serious. That said, today's road cars would run circles around the race cars of the past (we are talking GT racing here, not prototypes).

I couldn't disagree more!!! You can have great fun at less than 100 mph. You just have to know how to drive and push the car. Tell me with a straight face that doing 20-100 mph between mountainous hairpins at full throttle and then manhandling it through the turn is not fun... They are far from GTs, they are much more focused than older cars ever were. The term "savage understeer that turns to uncontrollable ovesteer" is unheard of nowadays, whereas the 60s-70s sportscars were all over the place.... Modern supercars can handle every day duties as well, on top of that. That's progress for you and me!

This is what I am talking about:

PS: Lotuses are over-rated. I found the Elise boring and under-powered.