812 Market Dynamics | Page 23 | FerrariChat

812 Market Dynamics

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by 1881, May 19, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I think you would be saying why buy an 812 GTS with such a small opening when you can have a PF with the same V12. I think these cars are aimed at different people. Besides, we might both be right. The end seems near for the 812 type car as the V12 is replaced as the Flagship (SF90 replaces) and we will have to see what comes next in for the V12 production model (if anything comes next)....

of2worlds likes this.
  2. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    I did see the silver Portofino, but my eye really appreciated the Nero Daytona :)

Maybe this weekend would be a good time to have your wife drive you two out to Fredericksburg for lunch )in the 488(

Yes, being first owner does have additional credibility, factory pays attention to that...

If you keep the 812 any depreciation is inconsequential...I think the car that follows that 812 will take its styling cues from the Roma...count on that! And since the SF90 is the top dog, the 812 replacement might go sideways or backwards on power...(the former the factory has already alluded to; the latter is my speculation)

Also, waiting ~2 more years on the 488 (to trade on the Roma) should be the bottom of the 488 depreciation as the F8 will have been out for a while...who knows, maybe the F8 will not be as loved due to is including of GPFs...

lots to consider but, if you want the Roma (which I do not understand as it is not a convertible so is not a replacement for the AMG in that sense) being first owner on the Portofino will help in the allocation lottery :)

Caeruleus11 and wrs like this.
  3. 1881

1881 Karting

Dec 21, 2016
    #553 1881, Nov 15, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
    Very interesting story of someone that bought a Lusso just to get a Pista and his journey trying to get rid of it... Worthwhile watching from 7 min to 13 min (certainly watch min 12-13)... Shows how bad things really are

I can well imagine that the 812 market is in the same state

Tim Riley likes this.
  4. Prancing 12

Prancing 12 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 11, 2004
    The long way home
    A lot of people got caught up into this Lusso-for-a-Pista game, but the outcomes are different than most of the previous carrot-on-a-stick purchases. It used to be that it was (worst-case) essentially a wash between the loss on Lusso-type car and the uptick in value of the Pista-type car, but at this point, the Pista market in the US isn't supporting the losses that would be taken on the Lusso...

of2worlds and Thecadster like this.
  5. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    No doubt the 812 is soft, but is it Lusso soft...? I can’t imagine that to be the case.

6. Prancing 12

Prancing 12 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 11, 2004
    The long way home
    Trade values for a like-for-like Lusso and 812 are not that dissimilar in absolute dollar-under-MSRP terms. The 812 does slightly better and has a higher MSRP, so as a percentage, it's not as bad, but it's still not good...

7. ajr550

ajr550 Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2014
    UK and Caribbean
    Full Name:
    Andrew Roberts
    I understand that people will take the comments of owners with "a pinch of salt" but IMHO it is genuinely a shame that depreciation seems to be tainting the 812.
    IT IS A GREAT CAR.
    I am the first to admit it is a more difficult car to feel comfortable in driving fast in than some others in the current and immediate past model line up but I enjoy it all the more for that.
    I would trade mine for an 812 VS but not for anything else that I can see coming in the medium term.

of2worlds, deltona, R J and 4 others like this.
  8. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    Ouch on the Pista Lusso deal!

9. Prancing 12

Prancing 12 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 11, 2004
    The long way home
    I don't think anyone is saying that the depreciation is necessarily "tainting the 812", but this is the "812 Market Dynamics" thread ;)

10. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Yes. Pista is maybe +50k and Lussos seems to lose $100k the first month. The sad part is that Lusso is an amazing car..

11. 1881

1881 Karting

Dec 21, 2016
    What is somewhat shocking that he couldn't even get out of the car in cash and had to trade it in for another car .... Looking at the 812 market it doesn't look too dissimilar as cars are basically not moving at all.... And everybody knows that more cars are in the dealer's basement and more cars are getting produced

His Lusso depreciation journey is not over... It's just slowed down.... And previously someone posted that his dealer was effectively doing him a favour to get out of a 488.... Another post earlier mentioned that a dealer is effectively ran out of space for pre owned cars

It seems that the market is so bad that people can't even get out of cars (at least in cash) and surely the trade in game will stop at some point as well, when dealer can't afford to take on more losses

I think it's important that people understand that they might not be able to get out of a car at all

12. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    Simply not true. There is always a price that a car will move at. Sellers need to re-adjust their "tear up" thresholds

deltona and Thecadster like this.
  13. 1881

1881 Karting

Dec 21, 2016
    Did you watch the video? We are now at the point where at 100k under you cannot sell a car even after months and months, further price reductions and him being desperate to get rid of the car... The guy said he effectively begged everyone he knows as to to buy it.... But nobody did.... The Lusso market in his own words is effectively dead and he only got rid of it trading it in for an 458 spider

Also I said might not... Of course if you are the first one that puts it up 10-20k below market ask you might sell it... But guess what will happen... The market will follow and you need to drop it further 10-20.. Buyers who watch the market a bit won't buy as they know in a few weeks the market will be lower...That's exactly what's been happening with the 812 market, dropping 10k every 2 weeks with very few cars moving.... And 80 pct of the cars are still unsold.... So the statement is true for 80 pct of sellers

14. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    Yup watched the video. He is just one example so not representative and might have needed to get out asap. As an example, in my geo (half the size of the UK) there are 40+ 488's for sale. All between 20-40% under MSRP (2016 onwards). They move at the right price. Most McLarens are 50% of MSRP after 24 months (in my geo). Suppose it depends what you are used to.

At this level of tear up, most people will simple not chase the next car and will actually enjoy the car they have instead. Thats what I am doing.

Bamsefar likes this.
  15. montpellier

montpellier Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2009
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Paul
    That is the correct approach for sure, stop changing cars and enjoy what you have.

Shack, ajr550 and deltona like this.
  16. montpellier

Aug 27, 2009
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Paul
    The UK market is quite aggressively hurting right now. Winter, Brexit, Election so everything is making it very negative, and because depreciation on Lusso/812/PF have been so severe buyers are holding back. It will stabilise, but the old Ferrari relative stability has gone out the window , they are now big depreciating cars , like all the others . The Lusso T is slow on the second market though, but what a great car , and will be a hidden gem when the prices stabilise. Too many of these cars were clearly sold on the basis of getting a Pista allocation. That means loads of cars no one wants. Same now with 812 , people got them to get the GTS (though go steady on that as it will not cover your losses, if any, of the coupe) or the VS (watch GTS when that is announced) now market is flooded with 812's (many markets). PF is also in the mix for similar reasons. So you have a bizarre scenario, where many of these great cars are being bought by people who don't want them, because they want a model that is yet to be launched that may or may not happen. So essentially the real demand for Ferrari is very low, at least at list prices. If Ferrari are not aware that their commercial practices are rapidly damaging their reputation as a luxury highly desired brand then there are still a few rude awakenings still to come. Which is bizarre when the product itself is exceptional. But what a great time to bag a bargain almost new Ferrari at monster discount, wonderful time for buyers.

Tim Riley, of2worlds, DRYHOLE and 6 others like this.
  17. 1881

1881 Karting

Dec 21, 2016
    Yep....GTS is +60k base, so fully spec d will be 400-420 .... There's simply just not that many people that can afford a car at that price level or want to buy a pre owned car... Plus you then have the SF90 that's in that bracket as well...

Also the TDF in the pre owned market has done very poorly, whoever bought pre owned has lost an 812 in the last year

It's hard to see that 812 will stabilise given what's coming, that GTS will trade at a premium and that VS will follow the TDF s initial price gain, only if as it seems the VS won't be limited by numbers based on the rumours on this forum

18. ajr550

ajr550 Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2014
    UK and Caribbean
    Full Name:
    Andrew Roberts
    Understand that.To be honest I was referring more to conversations about the car with enthusiasts.Depreciation always come up as a topic especially from those who have not driven it.

19. montpellier

Aug 27, 2009
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Paul
    GTS will maybe trade at a premium for a few months, like the coupe did. Too many of them to do anything else methinks, and most of them only getting it for the VS allocation. Many markets cannot absorb that volume of V12 cars. Best thing they can do for 812 coupe is stop producing it. Everything else market wise will become clearer in 2021/2 when we learn of the new generation V12 platform (turbo/hybrid/smaller capacity higher revving whatever....or not ) . It has become the new cost of ownership if you want a new Ferrari.

Agree on SF90 , will be amazing, as ever, but a huge question when selling, more so when they announce the spider . Just not the volumes of people in the market to take that level of pricing.

20. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    You are 100% correct here. They will be in for a very rude awakening and within 12 months IMO.

Porsche are in a world of pain right now for exactly the same practices. Again in my geo (1/2 the size of the UK) they sold 120 GT2RS's !!!. What the.. already 10% on the market and I am sure another 10% couldn't be bothered as nothing is selling. 991.1 GT3RS's (2016) now at 40% off list. ZERO and I mean ZERO interest in the 718 GT4 and still 992 GT3RS, etc to roll through.

Some great bargains to be had across most brands !!!

21. Bamsefar

Bamsefar Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2012
    I am looking forward to a 812GTS if they ever drop like current 812s - that is for sure.

FWIW: I seem to remember when the Ferrari F40 was iscold on the market - sounds funny today I know, but that was how it was back in the ages ;-)

tomc, Caeruleus11 and Shack like this.
  22. montpellier

Aug 27, 2009
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Paul
    So true with Porsche . They all got a bit greedy and flooded the market, not realising that an upside on some cars, helped cover the losses on the others and helped justify certain purchases. Also the world has changed, economically but also the market, has far many more offers for your money , so many choices, but the buyers are still the same. There is more money, but many don't like wasting it on cars. With hindsight would I buy a new 812 now, never, I do not regret getting mine new , no as it was something I wanted to do and was a dream come true. I would happily now become a buyer of distressed new car sellers , there are some great spec cars out there , and what amazing cars they are.

Thecadster, sampelligrino and Shack like this.
  23. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I agree Ferrari has screwed their perfect balance we had for years.

Cars are now over the top expensive from new and they are not rare and not exceptional anymore since Ferrari launches a new one every 6 months. And if you are not a Ferrari only buyer, it's even worse as the competition is as desirable as Ferrari. I know I would consider a DBS vs a 812 or a 720s vs a F8.

And this is with a strong US market. Imagine if we get into a recession..

Shack, LVP488 and sampelligrino like this.
  24. 1881

1881 Karting

Dec 21, 2016
    tomc likes this.