Ferrari 456m gta problems from Chile. | FerrariChat

Ferrari 456m gta problems from Chile.

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by ferraritco, Nov 14, 2019.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ferraritco

ferraritco Rookie

Nov 14, 2019
    Full Name:
    felipe lagos quezada
    Hi my name is Felipe Lagos, I'm from Temuco Chile. (sorry for my English)
    I tell you that I have a Ferrari 456m gta with 21,000 miles. It has some problems, maybe with your experience you can help me solve them.

The main problem is that the engine temperature heats up very fast, the electric fan works at all times, in cold temperatures it reaches its normal temperature 160f after a moment it rises to almost 190f, it is not normal. I have changed coolant, new thermostat, we add redline water wetter, change temperature and water sensors, and the problem persists. I don't know what to do, sometimes it steam on the side of the exhaust, it worries me.

I have an error code permanently p1625 and p1510 (missfire so find out, replace all spark plugs), I have the diagnostic tool launch x431 but it does not work, also with the autoxray ez-6000 but it does not give me more information Regarding the problems.

I want to maintain the transmission, someone who can share a technical data would be grateful.

Thank you.

2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    190F is pretty much normal temperature for one of our V12s sitting at idle, even when it is cold. Drops when she is moving and more airflow gets through the radiator.

Your misfire could be the spark plug wires, which go fairly quickly, or coil packs going bad or with corroded connectors. You should be able to check the spark plug wires with a VOM meter to see if one (or more) is way off in resistance

Here is some data on maintaining the GTA transmission from other owners.

Attached Files:

3. ferraritco

ferraritco Rookie

Nov 14, 2019
    Full Name:
    felipe lagos quezada
    excuse me I was wrong normal temperature 190f and normal traffic or driving almost reaches 240f, thanks for your reply

4. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

Hello Felipe, can you provide some history of the problem? How long has the temperature been doing this? Since you've owned the car, or only recently?

As Taz said, the misfire could be a number of things, but the first things to check would be the spark plug wires.

5. ferraritco

ferraritco Rookie

Nov 14, 2019
    Full Name:
    felipe lagos quezada
    The car was bought in a private collection, entered my country in 2009 and was now bought in 2019, 10 years without walking, we changed all the fluids except for the transmission, when we went out to roll we noticed the high temperature and the electric fans they work at all times, in traffic the temperature reaches 240-250f, I also notice that the temperature reaches 190f very quickly and then rises. It has no antifreeze consumption. I can't give you a reference of how the problem started we bought the car blindly. In my country there are approximately 5 units of 456 from what I have seen. Technical references in my country are not there.

F456M likes this.
  6. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    John, Felipe- Affirmative, 240F is nowhere near normal.

7. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

Several easy things to try first:

1. Make sure the front of the radiator is not blocked by leaves/trash, etc.

2. Bleed the coolant system. Our V12's are notorious for trapping air in their system. The best way to do this is raise the front of the car or park on an incline where the front of the engine is higher than the rear, then run it until it reaches operating temperature. Turn the heater on to its highest setting (this will allow coolant to circulate through the heater core, which is a known area where air bubbles "hide".) then crack open the brass bleed screw on top of the coolant thermostat to allow any accumulated air to escape. You may have to do this several times.

3. If #2 does not help your situation, try using a commercial radiator/cooling system cleaner to ensure it is clean.

4. If none of these help, you could consider reducing the percentage of glycol in the cooling mix. Most commercial mixes are 50% water and 50% glycol, however if you're not planning to drive the car in freezing climates or extremely hot climates, you could reduce the percentage of glycol to perhaps 40% or even 30%. Glycol is not as efficient a heat exchange fluid as pure water is, so by reducing the amount in your system, it will become more efficient. You must keep a safety margin of glycol in your system to avoid boilovers and/or damage to the engine during heat soak conditions (when the car has been run hard then is shutoff, the cooling system loses pressure, and the coolant is no longer circulated, and hot spots develop in the engine along with localized boiling at these hot spots.)

F456M likes this.
  8. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

F456M and Qavion like this.
  9. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Felipe- If you do not have the 456M workshop manual, we can send it to you.

Il Tifoso likes this.
  10. puckybadger

puckybadger Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 12, 2016
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    I would like one if available

11. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Give me your e-mail address and I will contact you.

12. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    The small diameter hose form rear of the thermostat housing going under the manifold to the expansion tank must be free and open. My 456M had a clogged hose and it overheated. But once I replaced it, the heat went down. Congrats on your new car! Send a picture or two.

13. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    On our V12s that have not had regular coolant changes, those three small hoses often clog up, especially the one going to the header tank.

14. puckybadger

puckybadger Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 12, 2016
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    [email protected]

15. ferraritco

ferraritco Rookie

Nov 14, 2019
    Full Name:
    felipe lagos quezada
    I have reviewed the complete car and I still cannot solve it, this is my email [email protected], I hope to solve it with your manual

16. ferraritco

ferraritco Rookie

Nov 14, 2019
    Full Name:
    felipe lagos quezada
    Where did I send the information for it?

17. ferraritco

ferraritco Rookie

Nov 14, 2019
    Full Name:
    felipe lagos quezada
    [email protected]