430 - Dropping the top on f430 spider | FerrariChat

430 Dropping the top on f430 spider

Discussion in '360/430' started by cole328, Nov 16, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    Morning guys… Had a quick question for the group.

I have a 2007 f430 spider. 21,000 miles. Car runs perfect in all regards, including the top operation up and down. The only thing I’ve noticed lately, is when the car has been in my garage for a couple of days and I start it up, if I drop the top after 1-2 minutes, it hangs up and then I have to close it and re-drop it and all is fine. However, If I wait 3-5 minutes to let the car warm up, it usually drops with no problems.

Is it potentially an issue where the hydraulic fluids need to warm up or something? Not sure if this is normal or specific to my car.

Before I took it into the dealer, thought I would just ask Others.

Thx!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Have you checked your fluid level?

EastMemphis likes this.
  3. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    Hmmm. Fluid level for the top? No, I have not. Did not realize there was fluid for the top. Easy to check?

4. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    OTOH, even if the fluid level checks out OK, why not wait for it warm up in the 3-5 mins like you said and leave well alone.
    Lots for cars are temperamental. Don't pay $$$ to fix what isn't really broke.
    She's Italian and finicky.

5. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
  6. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Ignoring low fluid level can damage the system. I know on my 355 the previous owner replaced both rams due to low fluid level...it was thousands to fix.

Rifledriver likes this.
  7. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    Thanks guys… I want to do the right thing. Is it easy for me to just check the fluid level myself at home? Or should I just take it over to my tech in the next week or so?

8. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Search the archives, the procedure to both check the level and refill is posted

9. gsworld2014

gsworld2014 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2014
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Greg S
    Most likely elastics wearing out. The top is very precise and is its slightly off it will not finish the cycle. Check it your back window moves outward or folds in when you close the top.

Rifledriver likes this.
  10. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    If the fluid level in your top reservoir needs to be topped off, then by definition, you have a leak somewhere. Check the capote for signs of leaks. Typically, they will start at the neck of a ram or where the line connects to the ram. Replacement of the rams with new units can be eye wateringly expensive. Having them rebuilt is by far cheaper and probably in the long run better. Those "new" units are probably 10+ years old already.

11. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Not necessarily a leak. I spoke with Dave Helms about my F355 spider requiring small top ups every two to three years, and he said that there is a certain amount of fluid that will get past the seals in the rams/pistons, and that was normal operation. There should be no leaks where the hoses connect or such. And topping up more frequently that every couple years, may indeed indicate a leak somewhere.

EastMemphis and Apollo 11 like this.
  12. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    Yes, I agree. It's the second recent top-up that indicates a leakage problem. Still, before topping up, I suggest checking for signs of hydraulic fluid in the capote and especially, at the latches. Getting fluid dripping in your lap would be quite unpleasant.

13. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Second recent top up? I must have missed something. I don't see any recent top up much less a second.

It is a very light oil and evaporates. Even to some degree on tops not used.