Wheel Bearing Problem, California '09 | FerrariChat

Wheel Bearing Problem, California '09

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by L3nderSson, Nov 15, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. L3nderSson

L3nderSson Rookie

Jun 10, 2019
    Hello guys,
    I got a problem with my cali 2009, I had it in service because my car makes in slow speed a really heavy noise. Some noise metallic. I never hear before, that a wheel bearing makes noises like that.
    Did someone had the same problem? Some unnormal noise?

Greets Max

2. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    It is possible that you have a bad wheel bearing. I have had to replace two of them so far. Put the car up in the air and spin the wheels while listening with a mechanics stethescope, if the bearing is bad it will make a rumbling noise/vibration.
    Unfortunately, the bearing is incorporated into the hub/upright assembly, so the whole upright must be replaced (very expensive). If you are unsure that it is a wheel bearing, it will get louder/worse with time if it is.

Brian Brown
    San Francisco Motorsports

L3nderSson likes this.
  3. L3nderSson

L3nderSson Rookie

Jun 10, 2019
    Hey Brian, thank you.
    My car doesn't make the normal noises like a damage wheel bearing. I think they didn't know too. No vibration, no rumbling noise or something when I drive or check the wheel with hands. The sound is when I drive one time in the front and break, and the same when I drive back. It's only one or two times like a big metallic bang or pop. BUT I can do it one hundred times and it makes the same sound.

4. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #4 4th_gear, Nov 16, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
    Your description is a bit confusing. I suspect English is not your preferred language. Your original post mentioned you suspected your wheel bearing was making the noise so Motob addressed that directly. Now you say you don't suspect wheel bearing damage.

Well, if the noise only happens when you BRAKE, then maybe the brake caliper(s) is(are) loose. If one or more of the bolts holding the calipers fell out or loosened, the caliper can hit the rim, especially when you apply the brakes. Did you have brake service recently?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. L3nderSson

L3nderSson Rookie

Jun 10, 2019
    That's why I wrote I hear never a noise like that when a wheel bearing is damaged. And yes hehe, I'm from Germany. I can't upload my videos, so I can't show you. It's more like a short bracing.