430 - Replacement Key Options | FerrariChat

430 Replacement Key Options

Discussion in '360/430' started by MKTViper, Nov 16, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MKTViper

MKTViper Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2018
    Swan Point MD
    Full Name:
    Mike
    The 06 Spider I just purchased only comes with one key...trying to figure out a cost effective way to have a spare. I'm sure I'm not the first person to think of this but;

Has anyone bought one of those $15 knockoffs on eBay (no electronics) and purchased an already cut key (~$300) for the electronics? Then it's just a matter of getting the key cut and programming.

The spare key will certainly be cheap looking, but it'll start the car if need be.

Thoughts?

2. MJGinTX

MJGinTX Karting

Mar 30, 2019
    Indianapolis, IN
    I have recently tried what you are proposing with no luck. I have an original key (that doesn’t fit my car) and ordered a key blank - substituting the needed parts.

I then replaced the battery and then tried the programming procedure multiple times with no success. I would love for this to work and hope that I have just done something incorrectly.

I would be interested in hearing if you get it to work or in what others have to say.

3. SCKOMS

SCKOMS F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 21, 2011
    Lake County, IL
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    Mine came with only one key and no code card. Ferrari actually charge you $500 to give you the code so you can buy and program another key....total cost around $1200!!

Sent from my Galaxy

4. MKTViper

MKTViper Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2018
    Swan Point MD
    Full Name:
    Mike
    How did you program it? I thought any time you add a key, ALL the keys had to be reprogramed using an SD3?

5. MKTViper

MKTViper Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2018
    Swan Point MD
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Unfortunately I'm afraid that's where I'll be. Haven't gotten the car yet, but since there's only 1 key and no manuals, I expect the code card to also be missing.

WHY DO PEOPLE NOT KEEP THESE WITH THE CAR!? Baffling.

Anyway, I may see if Greg at LoCo Exotics in Sterling VA can help me out with the programming. No matter what it is, he's 1/2 the dealer cost.

SCKOMS likes this.
  6. Fenz

Fenz Karting

Nov 8, 2018
    Team Europe
    I ordered a new key code card from the Ferrari dealer in Sweden, cost me less than $100 (I beleive it was $70).

7. SCKOMS

SCKOMS F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 21, 2011
    Lake County, IL
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    I don't see why they should charge you at all but that seems like a bargain. Ferrari NA truly gouges!
    Sent from my Galaxy

8. Fenz

Fenz Karting

Nov 8, 2018
    Team Europe
    It was not an easy task, though.
    I had to go to the dealer, prove owership with a copy of the registration and a copy of my passport (they said it was required by Ferrari in Italy).
    The dealer told me that Ferrari in Italy sometimes also required a copy of a police report and that I needed to report to the Swedish police that keycard has been stolen (???!). When I told them that I never had the keycard and it probably was lost during a prevoius owership, not stolen, dealer actually advised me to file a false police report, "because Ferrari in Italy probably won't send you a new key card without a police report" (????!).
    Naturally, I refused. They said "Ok, let's try with just the owership and passport copy, but we can't guarentee anything".
    Really strange behaivor.
    Waited 5 months, heard nothing. When checking, the dealer had forgot about the whole thing. Had to start over.
    Took 3 weeks, then the keycard arrived, together with a new key that I had NOT ordered, I already have two keys, and they knows that.
    That turned into a dicussion wether I had ordered a new key or not, instead of just letting it go.
    He sighed and finally told me "if you say so, but that's not how I recall it".
    Bad dealer experience.

9. SCKOMS

SCKOMS F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 21, 2011
    Lake County, IL
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    I guess I'd rather pay the $500. Had to show proof of ownership and the dealer took care of the rest.

Sent from my Galaxy

10. MJGinTX

MJGinTX Karting

Mar 30, 2019
    Indianapolis, IN
    I can’t recall where but someone here posted a process for syncing your keys. I followed it and “reprogrammed” my existing keys but could not get the new key to work. I didn’t have to take to the dealer.