Ferrari ROMA | Page 51 | FerrariChat

Ferrari ROMA

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by ajr550, Feb 7, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    I don't agree that they are bland even at lower speeds, but we all have different tastes, so I respect your opinion. The sound is there (albeit not as good as it used to be in the N/A days - the V12s maintain it though), all the controls are ultra responsive, the cars feel tight and alert. I guess what you are missing is a degree of crudeness, but for me that's just bad engineering, not a presence of character. We all have different tastes after all.

You may as well turn all the nannies off, but then you really have to know what you are doing, given the colossal amounts of available power and insane speeds attained. Regarding the opportunities to "open them up", I regard all sportscars as weekend/Sunday cars, to be enjoyed on proper occasions. Perhaps what you like in older cars is that they are not as demonically quick, which makes their full performance more usable every day. I get that argument and an Alpine is a great little sportscar indeed, but that doesn't diminish the thrills that the big boys offer IMHO.

Fair enough. Personally, I was disappointed by the F40 though... Thrilling? Hell, yes! Composed (by today's standards)? Not one iota...

I feel that all good sportscars do that. The Elise is just crude.

Totally agree! Driving a slow car quickly makes you a better driver. You learn not to rely on power, but on momentum. When you get into a more powerful machine, you need to be very careful though, as stabbing the throttle without mercy is much more dangerous with all that firepower...

The Roma is a GT, or a sportscar in the vein of a AM DB11/Vantage. If a 488 doesn't thrill you, a much less focused Roma certainly won't!

Well, you can't take a 60 mph turn when you are doing 100 mph... ;)

The Autostrada, the Autobahn, mountains all over Europe, Welsh B Roads, tracks etc...

Usually for financial reasons, but our club holds track days and everybody bring their Ferraris.

Slow and puny, not worthy of the Prancing Horse. Ferraris have always been about power and speed.

2. U-Boat Commander

U-Boat Commander Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2008
    USA
    I just asked the GM of a Ferrari dealership two minutes ago and he says no more Lusso orders.

3. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    There are exceptions.

Marcel Massini

of2worlds likes this.
  4. U-Boat Commander

U-Boat Commander Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2008
    USA
    Apparently. If you need another I'd sell mine - TDF Blue with Cuoio daytonas - and buy the Roma. LOL

Astrid.Didier and G. Pepper like this.
  5. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    Lol, FF in flesh actually is very handsome and exude great deal of masculinity. In picture, it looks not as well.

6. LeoBRK

LeoBRK Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2010
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Leonardo
    yes agree completely FF very muscular and long, like a missle in person looks good in most pics nots as good

7. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    I agree and the best argument for this I’ve ever read, came from Lamborghini’s CEO who stated plainly that supercars have become so complex in terms of computer electronics, that the design philosophy undergoes an holistic approach: everything comunicates with one another. Having such an important component in a car such as a gearbox not talking to anything because it’s manual, makes little to no sense under this approach, not to mention the obvious performance loss.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

stavura, REALZEUS, JL350 and 4 others like this.
  8. cesman

cesman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2008
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Craig
    100%, well put

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

9. CrapsLuckyDice

CrapsLuckyDice Karting

Apr 28, 2019
    NJ, USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Just a quick question, I recently saw a picture of the Roma and the wife thought it was a gorgeous car. However, it just so happens we own a AMG GTS and we were looking at a 2019 DB11 Volante. Is it me or does the new Roma actually look like a mixture between those two cars?

And is the Roma really a car worth it to get? I mean I guess I do think it looks sexy but I am debating between getting a Roma or either a McLaren 570s coupe/spider or 600lt coupe. If the latter then 2020 or former it would be 2021 because I'm not cool enough to get onto their pre-order list lol.

10. CT Audi Fan

CT Audi Fan Formula Junior

Oct 23, 2011
    Yet I wonder how many they would actually sell. When the last gen GT3 was PDK only, there was enough of a revolt that the manual was brought back. No way this would work in the V8 Sport series (F8, SF90), but in something like the Roma, designed to be a more laid back GT car ... I’d sell a kidney for that. Of course they will sell as many Romas as they care to make so really there is no reason for them to do so. Someday, maybe.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

11. ALPINE6SPD

ALPINE6SPD Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2006
    NJ
    Not true at all
    Looks like you were right or close enough as it’s the Roma!!

12. isot

isot Formula 3

May 6, 2012
    Lucca
    Full Name:
    Alberto

Flavio Manzoni speaks about Roma...

13. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    The cheese grater and chicken wire front end is hideous. Interior and exterior look plain and in the mass produced category. Not special as others have said but it is the entry level just a notch down from what it replaces.

14. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    "As you can see, there are no specific elements that are quoting the elements of the Ferrari GTs of the past. There are some reminiscences, maybe, but the formal language is absolutely modern," Flavio Manzoni declared this during the presentation ceremony of the new Ferrari Roma.
    After putting the 812 and the F12 side by side with the Roma and comparing them from different angles, I think Manzoni is right.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Good comparison, well done, thank you.

Marcel Massini

of2worlds, 9nb and MDEL like this.
  16. ohno

ohno Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2009
    Nice comparison! The Roma looks smoother than the two V12, although I like the F12berlinetta very much too!

elmadi and MDEL like this.
  17. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    So do I !

Marcel Massini

elmadi and of2worlds like this.
  18. 500tr

500tr Formula 3

Feb 28, 2004
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Volkmar Spielmann
    So much better than the 812...

Garretto, Igor Ound and G. Pepper like this.
  19. ferrarist

ferrarist Formula Junior

Mar 16, 2001
    Istanbul / TURKEY
    Full Name:
    I.K.
    About the front grill. I feel like having it in that unusual structure is like they want us to get used to that look just because the future full electric Ferraris (if there will be?) will not need the grill.
    I don’t think they will keep it just for looks as it is not good for aerodynamics.
    Just my .02
    What do others think of it?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

20. valerio

valerio Rookie

Oct 8, 2017
    Would love to see a photoshopped black version...

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  21. R J

R J Formula Junior

May 17, 2017
    UK
    Great comparison. Thank you for putting the effort in to share this with us.
    Love that/the 812. Modern. Today. But not dissociative with the past. Roma is pretty.

22. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Comparing the Roma with the 812 looks like the beauty and the beast...how is it possible that the same person who design such "a fine ass" (please excuse the expression) in the Roma also designed such a bad rear in the 812!?

G. Pepper likes this.
  23. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Yes, the f12 is also a masterpiece!

Solid State, R J, Igor Ound and 2 others like this.
  24. ohno

ohno Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2009
    Well, the back of the 812 is not so beautiful like the back of the F12, but as every Ferrari the car has a strong presence in the reality like every model from the brand. Well the F12 is a real beauty, especially in darker colors (Canna di Fucile, Nero, Grigio Silverstone, Blu Scozia or Blu Pozzi).

isot likes this.
  25. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Or Verde Seabird.

Marcel Massini

of2worlds, Caeruleus11, MDEL and 2 others like this.