Daytona radios | FerrariChat

Daytona radios

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by jimmyr, Nov 17, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jimmyr

jimmyr Formula Junior

Oct 10, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Jim
    The usual understanding about Daytona radios is that they left the factory with antenna and speakers, but no radios. Dealers then installed a radio if the owner wanted one. I assume there was a radio block off plate like other models of the time. Any photos of the block off plate available?

pilotoCS likes this.
  2. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    To my understanding no block-off plate was used on 365 GTB/4s. The alloy console had a cut out made for radio during manufacturing, but the leather covering/upholstery was not cut or “punctured” until later, if at all by a dealer, depending on whether customer wanted an (optional) radio and which model (Becker Europa, - Mexico, Voxson, etc).

3. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    Jim: The factory DID install radios in Daytona's. Our car is listed in the factory Production Records as "Radio Becker". Other Daytona's are noted "Impianto Radio" (set up for radio). I also have a "Confidential Price List" from the factory that lists Becker Mexico and Blaupunkt Koln radios as Daytona factory options. A separate option is listed as "Radio wiring, Antennas and Speakers".

4. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    I have one (U.S. spec) in the shop that’s been confirmed having likely left or at least ordered from the factory with a Voxson 8–track.

sixcarbs likes this.
  5. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    UK cars had them fitted by the dealer for sure, mine had a Radiomobile 8 track.

6. daytonaman

daytonaman Formula Junior

May 1, 2007
    Australia
    Full Name:
    howard pigdon
    Timo I could swear my console is fibreglass

7. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Here is a photo of a spare console that I've had for ages, it is indeed fiberglass.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. jimmyr

jimmyr Formula Junior

Oct 10, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Looks like the Daytona can be ordered with por without a radio from the USA dealer, so looks like they may have been shipped without a radio. Not real clear. Sorry for the faded Chinetti quote been in my file too long.

375+ likes this.
  9. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Thank you gentlemen, for your observations and corrections for my apparent mistake while attempting to focus on OPs main concern.
    It appears my what at time feel like over-exhausted memory cells are failing or playing tricks on me, but perhaps I could claim having been half correct ? :rolleyes:

375+ likes this.
  10. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    Jim: The factory DID install radios. See my earlier post. The cars with factory radios are noted in the production records. What car are you interested in?

11. jimmyr

jimmyr Formula Junior

Oct 10, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Dyke, just wanted to know if the factory shipped Daytonas without radios and my concern was without antennas.

12. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    A while ago I inspected/photo documented a fairly low mileage, unrestored 365 GTB/4 which had some kind of radio delete cover/plate on the console and no antenna (along with no switch for it on the console or evidence of patched mounting hole), but lack of antenna (or its mounting hole) and other evidence present made me suspect potential RH quarter panel replacement.

13. mrcarlosspicey

mrcarlosspicey Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    Omaha
    Full Name:
    Parker
  14. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ^ as it should if factory installed

15. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    One day I discovered my Voxson 8 track did not work. I broke my head trying to figure out why, to no avail.
    Would turn on, but no sound. Did not really matter, but...

Another day, much later in life, had to remove the door panel(s)...no speakers :)

Regards, Alberto

Hawkeye, colombo2cam, dgt and 4 others like this.