FORMULA 1 HEINEKEN GRANDE PRÊMIO DO BRASIL 2019: RACE *** SPOILERS *** | Page 13 | FerrariChat

FORMULA 1 HEINEKEN GRANDE PRÊMIO DO BRASIL 2019: RACE *** SPOILERS ***

Discussion in 'F1' started by william, Nov 17, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #301 zygomatic, Nov 18, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
    I think you're right about Seb & Charles' penalty, but on the Hamilton one - and this is from what I've seen - Lewis wasn't ever going to make that turn on the line he took into the corner (meaning he wasn't going to be able to hug the curb throughouth the curve - he was going to push wide on turn exit), so he was basically sticking his nose inside Albon and effectively saying "up to you whether we crash or not" - which is, I think, deserving of a penalty.

Said succinctly: Hamilton pulled a Verstappen.

That said, Albon did leave the door open pretty wide.

2. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    I just watched the highlights and onboard shot with Lewis and Gasly side by side going for the finish, Looks like Gasly may have damaged the gas pedal! he had that Torro Rosso pinned to the floor! lol

VPX likes this.
  3. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    The car wasn't that bad. They did outqualify the Mercs after all. Remember back to pre summer break how bad the car was. A post break schedule of Spa and Monza helped as did a couple of useful updates to engine and car. Others kept developing, Brazil was favorable to RBR and Leclerc had a poor qualifying plus 10 place penalty combined to make the race what it was. Leclerc at least was in a position to try to attack for 2nd until the bone headed move from his own teammate.

4. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Well said and happy to see that HAM is human, can be forced into an error and can be penalized.

But my point was that at least in his case it was an attempt to pass, going into a corner, seeing a gap (which ultimately closed) and going for it - as opposed to Vettel's red mist or ineptitude causing him to take out his own teammate on the straight!

5. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Agree completely - it wasn't perfect judgment on Hamilton's part, but we shouldn't expect perfection. Hamilton is human and sometimes we eff-up in split second decisions. Plus - as you say - if he is going to err, erring on the side of "going for it" when there is a gap is the way to err.

Because it is Brazil, this quote is more appropriate than ever: “If you no longer go for a gap that exists, you are no longer a racing driver.”

6. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    Lol appropriate quote, to see Ham being so aggressive having already won the championship says a lot as well

william and zygomatic like this.
  7. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    To stir the pot a little on this Monday morning: I watched the race highlights and among them was a rather interesting shot of Leclerc pushing Lando Norris across the track on lap 1 as a way of getting Norris to come off the throttle. Lando had to react quickly and pull himself well off the racing line to avoid contact. The situation was not dissimilar to Vettel / Leclerc later in the race -- only this time it was Leclerc being pushed, and refusing to yield.

8. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Not a bad race all in all. Too bad Vettel ruined it for everyone. Well, not everyone, this gave Alfa some much needed points.

william and ingegnere like this.
  9. Sig. Roma

Sig. Roma Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 11, 2007
    Bella Italia
    Full Name:
    Dom T.
    My opinion, if Ferrari is more important than the team, and if the No. 1 driver is being passed by No. 2 who has a better chance of a higher finish than he has, he should have yielded position and given his junior partner the chance to beat out his Dutch competitor.

mcarthurc, william, lagunacc and 2 others like this.
  10. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Great observation and I'm a little amazed that with all the 'experts' here that this point has not yet been touched on. I guess it did not help their case to bash Vettel so might as well ignore it.

On that subject for those who feel Leclerc was nowhere in the wrong please explain the following photo. I'm sure we can universally agree that the contact was between Vettel's left rear and Leclerc's front right and that the contact was nothing major. That said can anyone reasonably explain why Leclerc has his steering to the right as Vettel is overtaking him on a straight on the right? That little bit of right steering easily made the difference between having contact and not.

Plenty of blame to go around here and I maintain this a racing incident.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

JLF, subirg, sammysaber and 5 others like this.
  11. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    That's an interesting screenshot.

All the best,
    Andrew.

ricksb likes this.
  12. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales

I disagree. Both were moving left of the straight as depicted by this pic shot in frames...Seb just had to drive straight. Vettel has done this before to Webber in Turkey 2010 knocking himself out that race.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

root, ingegnere, NeuroBeaker and 5 others like this.
  13. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Check the footage: Vettel crashed with Leclerc. He made a last move to the left that Leclerc couldn't avoid because he was too close.

Anyway, both drivers should be more gentle when fighting their team mate. Vettel knows that he's dead if Leclerc beats him and Leclerc likes retaliation, as seen with Verstappen. Binotto should fix this ASAP, probably using a long stick and/or electrodes applied to the nipples.

jpalmito, ingegnere and Jeronimo GTO like this.
  14. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I told you guys: That Wishin’ Minnow bull-**** is a jinx, a hex and a curse.

15. lagunacc

lagunacc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 24, 2013
    Between teammates.

Even if the blame was equal, the reality is, one's the past (mentality and skill) and one's the future.
    If F can't go for that "gap", we'll get more of the same.

root likes this.
  16. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    Whoever saysit
    This screeshot shows nothing against Leclerc: he could have the car be pointed 3 degrees to the left of the normal line and turned slighlty right to straight it up again. Vettel is the one who moved over and crashed on Lec, not the other way around.

Vettel's move was the typical "intimidating" move that would make a Bottas or a rookie to move over, but not a talent like Leclerc. Leclerc is right to show Vettel that he is not intimidated. Same would happen with Verstappen, they don't give a f@ck about more experienced or world champion drivers.

Vettel needs to retire or move to Mercedes.

root, ingegnere, DF1 and 1 other person like this.
  17. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Thanks for posting that frame montage. It illustrates a point regarding DRS. A driver who had just been passed, e.g. Seb, should not have the ability to use DRS so soon. They didn't earn it.

ingegnere, DGS and Nuvolari like this.
  18. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
  19. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Hmmm.... I wonder if that analysis will be brought up in a team meeting.

All the best,
    Andrew.

20. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    SI! Senza alcun dubbio!

21. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    He drove like Leclerc wasn't there, like he wished him to disappear.

Again either intimidation or incompetence, not able to judge distance to other car. Maybe he needs glasses.

werewolf and jcurry like this.
  22. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

The SKY team was using this data immediately after the incident. The parallels were similar to some.

NeuroBeaker likes this.
  23. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Did Leclerc not do the EXACT same thing to Lando Norris only MUCH more aggressively on the first lap? Seems like impartiality has abandoned some.

RobertJRB likes this.
  24. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    First and foremost the orange car is not a Ferrari.
    Second, completely different circumstance. At the start everyone's head is on a swivel looking out for others jerking all over the track jockeying for position. Not so much when there are just two cars barreling down a long straight where there is plenty of room.

25. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Seems like Vettel is driving with rage only when he has to fight against his team mate
    I would have appreciate the same involvement against Albon for instance
    Not the first time we could see this way of driving when Leclerc is a threat

F430 F1 Singapore and Nembo1777 like this.