What's the history/paper trail worth on a used Ferrari 550? | FerrariChat

What's the history/paper trail worth on a used Ferrari 550?

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by 21ATS, Nov 17, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 21ATS

21ATS Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Alan
    I made some enquiries on a 550 over the weekend and the dealer in question was very forthcoming and communicative considering it's a weekend. I don't want to link to the car in question as I've genuinely not decided if I'm going to take this further or not yet.

The car is a 32,000 mile 1998 550 Maranello. It is an Estate sale and as a result of what appears to have been a long drawn out probate the car has sat and remained unused for an extended period of time.

The service books are no longer present, the ownership is known and the seller is the brother of the late owner (via a reputable dealer). A gentleman that has an extensive car collection in his own right. There's no "missing" or hidden information, it's simply a car that has been neglected through circumstance.

It's MOT history is this:-

· 13/02/2019 · 32,087 · 339

· 18/02/2014 · 31,748 · 4,071

· 15/08/2011 · 27,677 · 2,522

· 21/07/2010 · 25,155 · 4,227

· 30/05/2009 · 20,928 · 553

· 07/06/2008 · 20,375 · 4,371

· 13/06/2007 · 16,004

So the car has done 339 miles in the last five and half years, 200 of which were done this year to getting it up and running again.

I've been provided copies of invoices showing a service and new tyres in 2011 and a recent major doing all belts and braking system in Feb 2019 (cost of GBP 4,700), but nothing else seems to be available.

I understand many people would just run away at this point but I'm curious about what the difference in value is between this car and one of a similar spec that has a full history and is clearly cared for.

I've bid GBP 60,000 on the car expecting to have to invest a further GBP 20,000 into addressing various seals, leaks bushes, shocks, tyres etc etc. (typing this I'm now wondering if I've bid too much already given current market conditions).

The dealer has suggested I'm bidding a "trade" price. I disagree, suggesting I'm bidding top end "retail" considering it's condition.

My thought process is this. I'm not particularly worried about resale or potential resale as I'm buying one of these to drive and enjoy and have no intention of ever selling. I'll be leaving that problem to my executors. I'm interested in getting the best use of my budget for a long term keeper. With that in mind I've always been averse to looking at super low mile "collector" cars at high premiums - I'm not that buyer.

To that end am I better paying through the nose for a car that has immaculate history but could still run up 30K in bills as it's a 20 year old car?

Or do I buy a car which has knowingly sat unused and un serviced going in with my eyes wide opened knowing I'll be bringing it back to it's best so i can use it?

The car is clean, nice colours and doesn't appear to be at all abused, it's just sat for quite some time.

What's it worth and what would you do?

Understand I'm using the Fchat collective as a sounding board here. I have no one close that I could have a meaningful conversation about this sort of stuff. They just think I'm mad for considering one of these on the grounds I have enough cars already!

2. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    How was the car stored for all those years? Climate controlled garage, barn, field or parked on the street? That would make a big difference in the soft parts.

3. 21ATS

21ATS Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Alan
    That's one of the unkowns.

4. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    How is the rubber and the leather? Is it still soft and pliable or cracked and dry? That would be my test. If the rubber and seats are not in great shape, then you can assume lots of rubber stuff is going to fail or has already. Find another car in that case.

If the rubber is new looking and the seats, dash and interior look great, then you can assume the car was stored well and that would make it less of a factor.

I do agree that this has to be a great deal in order to take the risk. There is no such thing as a cheap Ferrari.

21ATS likes this.
  5. 21ATS

21ATS Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Alan

I agree with your sentiments.

This is where I sometimes wonder if the value of a "collector grade" super low mileage car is actually warranted. Really how different is it from the car I described above assuming it's stored dry?

6. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    How is it different than a "super low milage" car? It's not super low mileage.

7. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    If it's a probate sale i would have thought they would run it through an Auction. 60K seems like a stretch all considering.Might turn out good but the downside is kind of bottomless.

21ATS likes this.
  8. 21ATS

21ATS Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Alan
    It's probably going to be easier if I link to the car. It's this one.

(I was actually enquiring about another car they had but the conversation turned to this car as the other was over my budget by quite a margin).

https://www.dhrofgo.com/for-sale/1998-ferrari-550-maranello-right-hand-drive/

Published asking price £87,500

After one email they suggest they'd take £75,000 "for a quick sale". If they don't sell it soon it will be sold on in the trade.

I then got the full run down of the history.

9. Ferrari 308 GTB

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
  10. 21ATS

21ATS Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Alan
  11. Ferrari 308 GTB

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Wow is it still 2015 ,did i miss somethingo_O

12. 21ATS

21ATS Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Alan
    They are adding value due to the "provenance & spec".

I figured it was a nice £90K - £95K car. But Ross and Rod clearly add a percentage onto that.

I'm not a big fan of the Novtec upgrades but all original parts come with it.

Very nice spec though and clearly in nice condition.

13. Sonnjoh

Sonnjoh Rookie

Jul 18, 2012
    London
    I didn’t realise the market was so soft a dealer would slash the price from 88 to 75k after one email! The car hasn’t even been for sale that long.

We’re you planning to have the car inspected ? If it checks out reasonably well you have a low mileage car which with time will have rebuilt service history ( by you).

14. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    the answer to your question is not that much in reality - if you can visually inspect the car you can get a good sense for what the outside is all about - if it had a major recently then thats about as good as you can ask assuming suspension, brakes etc all look good. i certainly wldnt shun a car like that just because of the history.

BOKE and 21ATS like this.
  15. 21ATS

21ATS Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Alan
    The immediate price drop also surprised me, especially as at that point I'd not even mentioned price.

I was intending to get the car inspected but the dealer emailed this morning to say there was a trade bid of £60K pending. So I'll wait to see if it goes there first.

Obviously they will prefer to trade it at that price than sell it retail and be responsible for it.

I've not fallen in love with the car and as you say, the market is so soft I'm happy for the right one to come along whenever it comes along.

16. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    If you want it, why not bid 65K?

17. 21ATS

21ATS Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Alan
    The UK market is a very odd place at the moment. There appears to be a huge gulf between asking and actual selling prices for "drivers".

Cars of this type and mileage with full history and good provenace seem to be selling at low to mid £70k's from a reputable dealer. So £65k for a car that's been unused for 5-7 years and has missing books and paperwork doesn't seem enough of a discount in my eye's.

18. hwyman

hwyman Formula Junior

Jun 25, 2015
    Canada / Los Angeles
    If they let you get it inspected, it should give you a clear picture of the health of the car. It looks pretty clean in the pics, the leather, the shifter all looks unblemished but as mentioned, parts can get add up really quickly

21ATS likes this.
  19. Peter Horsman

Peter Horsman Rookie

Nov 1, 2019
    Kent
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I looked at this car recently and it's in beautiful condition, inside and out; top and underneath. No sign of drying rubbers/seals (although who can completely tell from a simple visual inspection?). I understand that their £85k assumed that it had a service history record (and that's probably not far off the mark; I would think 80 in the current market for that car in that condition, and I have trapsed around quite a few over the past few months!) and the reduction came about when it was transpired that the present owners had mislaid the service book. An expensive mislay!

21ATS likes this.
  20. 21ATS

21ATS Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Alan
    We'll you have far more detail on it than I. I've not been to see it but I've not ruled it out. What put you off buying having been to see it?

Given that it's now potentially available at £60K or so and the history is more transparent would you now be a buyer?

21. Peter Horsman

Peter Horsman Rookie

Nov 1, 2019
    Kent
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Well, Duncan Hamilton’s beautiful RHD blue/tan 550 appears to have sold well. 24k miles, interesting though not spectacular history. It was stickered at £135k.

22. 21ATS

21ATS Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Alan
    As has the the car that caused me to start this thread. I wonder if the "trade bid" was accepted?

I guess we'll find out soon enough if it pops up for sale elsewhere.

23. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    I think that given the moribund market we will see some good 550s (among others) come up at auction on no reserve over the next few months. It’s true that right now it’s a strange market; sellers don’t want to sell at prices buyers want to buy at, and that’s not just 550s or Ferraris or cars, even.

24. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    By the way Alan that 550 looks very nice, but that doesn’t mean it will or it won’t be expensive to own. My 550 was showroom/concours/whatever but it cost more to run than a Russian hooker in a Geneva jewellery store.

ralfabco likes this.
  25. 21ATS

21ATS Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Alan
    Bonhams will be interesting this weekend. Some strong estimates on their listing.

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/25502/