California 30 2012 audio head unit upgrade | FerrariChat

California 30 2012 audio head unit upgrade

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Robert Sant, May 27, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Robert Sant

Robert Sant Rookie

Jul 16, 2018
    Full Name:
    Robert Sant
    I have read through the forums and it seems a few people have upgraded there audio head units.

I am looking for just a head unit upgrade. It needs to work well for sat nav on its own and through iPhone carplay, with digital radio. I use waze a fair bit.

1. Has anyone upgraded recently?
    2. Can anyone recommend a good head unit ( that has good functions and is easiest to install / compatible).
    3. What extra parts do I need, wiring harness, different surround, fascia kit etc.
    4. Could I install it myself? I have read the head unit can be a pain to install?
    5. I have read you have to remove the lower dash panel, then the surround, then this gives access to the head unit. Is this correct ?
    6. Can anyone recommend a good installer in the UK, either in the West Midlands or North West?

Many Thanks in Advance.

Rob.

GNU likes this.
  2. broncoupe

broncoupe Rookie

Sep 13, 2016
    Bournemouth UK
    Full Name:
    michael B
    I have done a couple its not easy , nothing on a Ferrari is
    I have a brand new genuine Ferrari / Clarion upgrade unit as supplied by Ferrari UK which I would sell also have the Ferrari facia etc
    Not some cheap copy

3. Robert Sant

Robert Sant Rookie

Jul 16, 2018
    Full Name:
    Robert Sant
    Thanks, but ideally I want a more modern carplay unit.

What other bits do I need?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Tnoyes

Tnoyes Rookie

Jul 17, 2017
    I’d also be interested in the answer to this as I’m planning on doing the same in my 2010 Cali. I’ve seen people recommended the Pioneer AVIC Z810 DAB, or the Kenwood 9902S. I don’t know if these are the most up to date headunits that would be suitable though. The most recent one on the pioneer website is the Z910 DAB.

5. GNU

GNU Rookie

Sep 28, 2014
    Anyone upgrade theirs and want to share the steps they went through removing the original one?

6. Qrwilson

Qrwilson Rookie

Jun 11, 2017
    I looked to upgrade for the same reason (cars-lay) in my 2012. I went to an audio shop that could do it and got an estimate from the ferrari dealership. Both were around $9k. Dealership actually recommended trading my car in for a new car with CarPlay already installed. I trust the audio shop as they have worked on several of my cars, but their indication is that it is 1. hard, 2. complicated wiring, and 3. sometimes turns out buggy. Given that, I abandoned hope.

In short, I enjoy the car and live with the stereo.

7. Joshman0531

Joshman0531 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 19, 2012
    Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Joshua Seidenberg
    GNU and matteni like this.
  8. Andrew Leather-Barrow

Oct 9, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Full Name:
    Andrew Leather-Barrow
    I have a 2010 california, the oem head unit has just given up the ghost.
    I have now just upgraded my head unit retaining the steering wheel controls with the best head unit on the market from pioneer to date the avic z920 with wireless CarPlay all singing and dancing including a front facing camera which looks oem.
    The total cost (self install and a few hours labour foc) under £1000 fitted.
    Yes the dash needs removing and yes there are plenty of wires to re route
    The harness conversation is however from a vw and is a direct plug and play
    See the pre re install photos

Attached Files:

9. Andrew Leather-Barrow

Oct 9, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Full Name:
    Andrew Leather-Barrow
    Sorry I forgot
    I had to re machine the Ferrari alloy facia to allow for the head unit to side down and open
    ( took 10 minutes being carful with a 1 mm plasma cutting disc on an angle grinder)
    The hardest part was cutting the cardboard the right size for the side infills and covering them in a carbon fibre film (real carbon) looks expensive and very classy

no sweats

cheers Andrew

GNU likes this.
  10. Andrew Leather-Barrow

Oct 9, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Full Name:
    Andrew Leather-Barrow
    GNU likes this.
  11. scriber17

scriber17 Karting

Oct 30, 2008
    Manhattan, NYC
    Full Name:
    Tang
    I always contemplated this but never built up the nerve to attempt. Kudos to you.
    Do you have pics of the front parking camera and how it’s mounted?
    How difficult was it to remove the dash?
    Can you post a Link to the harness?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Andrew Leather-Barrow

Oct 9, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Full Name:
    Andrew Leather-Barrow
    GNU likes this.
  13. Joshman0531

Joshman0531 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 19, 2012
    Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Joshua Seidenberg
    So I just worked with Bill at Maranello Motorworks on mine. Don’t let anyone tell you its plug n play. More like pain in the ass. Andrew don’t forget to reuse your old CL module or it work. The extra wires are also a pain to store behind the panels. Also had to by a new video cable as the one that came with the kit did not fit.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

GNU likes this.
  14. Jason Craig

Jason Craig Rookie

Dec 12, 2019
    Edmond, OK
    Full Name:
    Jason Craig
    Do you happen to know which wiring harness I need to adapt a new pioneer head unit to the existing wiring in a 2010 california and maintain the use of steering wheel controls and other functions that might be affected? Thank you

15. Andrew Leather-Barrow

Oct 9, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Full Name:
    Andrew Leather-Barrow
    #15 Andrew Leather-Barrow, Jan 12, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
    Hi all,
    Just an update to my radio install, it’s been a long time since I stripped the dash ready to install but I have had little spare time.
    I have been waiting for my air vents, steering wheel Center, Center bridge and radio surrounded to be returned from being overlaid in carbon fibre with a satin Matt finish.
    I had also had a key piece of equipment made for my install which panned out as follows:-

So I needed a way of answering the phone without touching the screen or taking my eyes off the road as with the existing steering controls they don’t allow you to make / receive a call, scroll through contact menus or even easily flick through album collections.
    Well after trawling through the internet and various electronic audio manufacturers I came across a remote control wheel system that works much like the scroll wheel in my s205 AMG, perfect I thought apart from it being very large and cumbersome, how will I integrate it into my car without butchering the existing trim and still make it look factory?

Well I had it made to my specifications by the manufacturer in China for the princely sum of $60 + shipping then had it overlaid in carbon weave to match the other carbon in the car.

The original worked with a battery and was wireless but I had the need for batteries removed and is now wired to a 3v 1amp mini transformer which comes on with the pioneer radio, it still works remote and communicates with the stereo wirelessly It has a receiver that wires to the Canbus trigger in the connect 2 harness adapter
    The original steering wheel controls still retain all their original functionality.
    I still have a couple of new magic boxes to incorporate into the stereo that allows the front and rear cameras to sense when you are parking and automatically switch between each other when the need arises without any driver input or button pushing - very clever
    I will post about that when I get more time to fit that stage of the install before finally re installing and buttoning up the dash.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

edited to also say that the buttons light up when the car headlights illuminate along with the rest of the dash

cheers
    Andrew

tomc likes this.
  16. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Wow! Very nice..keep the info coming..

Andrew Leather-Barrow likes this.
  17. AD211

AD211 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 19, 2017
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Very impressive.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Andrew Leather-Barrow likes this.
  18. Andrew Leather-Barrow

Oct 9, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Full Name:
    Andrew Leather-Barrow
  19. Andrew Leather-Barrow

Oct 9, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Full Name:
    Andrew Leather-Barrow
  20. Daniel N

Daniel N Rookie

Jul 11, 2020
    Full Name:
    Daniel Nordenbaek
    Hi Andrew

Thanks for a very good topic. My radio has also given up and I am now about to do the same replacement as you have done - which looks very nice.
    I have a question; I have found the same wiring kit as you have installed but for me it seems like there is missing a connection to the small plug between the two big ones. Could you please share with me what you have done regarding this issue?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. res1afbe

res1afbe Rookie

Sep 6, 2011
    That small plug in the middle is for U-Connect functionality in the original head unit which isn't used in any of the aftermarket replacements. You can just let it hang free, it won't bother anything.