Stock-ish Wheel Options... input? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Stock-ish Wheel Options... input?

Discussion in '308/328' started by Ferraritalian, Nov 13, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferraritalian

Ferraritalian Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2019
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Steve
    As always, super helpful. So that little “ridge” missing detail is 3 or 4 x the cost, for a new wheel vs a 40 year old used one? Hmm.

I’m guessing my used HREs have no value as well, lol.

2. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Yes, big price difference, but also as resale value... ;)

Ciao

3. AZDoug

AZDoug Formula 3

Jun 17, 2009
    Along the Verde , AZ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    My opinion, which is worth exactly how much you paid for it...

Wheels are swapped as easily as movie stars change BFs/GFs. You can be stock one day and wild the next, it isn't a permanent or semi permanent change.

I don't give a rats ass what the "consensus is' vs original looking, period looking wheels vs out of era wheels. They are easily changed. As soon as you go to 16", you are "out of era" on a '79 car.

Even tire choices for 16" are becoming less and less choice and more $$.

I paid $90 each for 17" after market wheels (with some Ferrari caps) that sort of look like they may go on a 360, and $100 each for V rated tires , for total of about $800 vs bunches of money for correc-tish looking wheels and expensive tires. And I can change them to original chromadoros in 30 minutes,m if I feel the need.

Yeah, I have had the occasional a**hole come up at shows and demand to know what kind of wheels those are that aren't Ferrari wheels, but have Ferrari caps on them, and tell me it's not correct and those aren't Ferrari wheels, but i have no desire to be around someone like that, anyway. I went with 17" wheels because of tire choice and 17" tire price, more than anything.

I never cared for the concave Chromadora look anyway. Too blah.

Doug
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

sherrillt and derekw like this.
  4. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Completely agree, Alberto -- they never lose their value. I paid $3500 for a set of 5 back in ~1990 when carb 308s were only worth $25K~$30K.

Albert-LP likes this.
  5. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    Nice wheels Doug, what are they? They are similar to the forged SSR 17” wheels I got for spare track day wheels

6. AZDoug

AZDoug Formula 3

Jun 17, 2009
    Along the Verde , AZ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    Voxx Volvo wheels, with some hubcentric adapter rings. And $1.50 lug bolts....

Doug

7. Ferraritalian

Jan 19, 2019
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I actually like the HREs I have on the car, but when you get up close to them it’s hard to tell if they were chromed or polished. They take a ton of effort to look all polished (looks good when I do) and also the little screws in the wheels are polished in the front and black in the back. Little things but I’m kinda over them. I do like that they have a real Ferrari star design look to them.

You might know Doug that I have a triple black ‘69 Corvette roadster with original Rallys and redline tires (that most people prefer) but also a set of chrome Cragar SS that I just like because they are fun, so yeah, I’m also of a mind to swap wheels when I’m in the mood.

In the case of my 308 though, I’d like an alternate something that looks stock, but not a 14 or 15 inch. While those are on I can see what the custom wheels might need to up their game a bit, whether I can make the screws match and/ or get the polish right. I think in my case, as a second set of wheels that are obviously not stock in 16”, the repros are a better choice for me than 40 year old pricey originals.

Here’s the current wheels, plus the aforementioned Corvettes multiple personalities...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. Tustin308

Tustin308 Rookie

May 20, 2019
    Tustin, CA
    Full Name:
    Arthur Trejo
    I had a similar dilemma as the OP when I was thinking of changing wheels on my 308. I really liked my HAYASHI 16” palace wheels but it was a chore to keep them shiny. In the end I could not find anything that looked “right” so I sent my wheels to HRE to have them refurbished. They not only refurbished the wheels but sealed the newly polished chrome with a light clear coat. This is what they do on their modern wheels. Now all I have to do is rinse them with soap and water and wipe with a soft cloth and I am done. The brake dust comes right off and they shine every time. Worth the $200 per wheel when you look at the result.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

moysiuan and Ferraritalian like this.
  9. Ferraritalian

Jan 19, 2019
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Great post Tustin. Your wheels look near identical to mine, with a different center cap. Might be a better ID than just HRE, lol.

Not sure why the screws on my rears are black, though.

10. Ferraritalian

Jan 19, 2019
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Steve
    As I research this a bit (there’s a thread here about these wheels) it seems they are the same wheels. Interesting that my description of problems in keeping shiny caused you to ID them!

11. Tustin308

Tustin308 Rookie

May 20, 2019
    Tustin, CA
    Full Name:
    Arthur Trejo
    Yes, I did see that thread. The HRE 505s are nearly identical to the Hayashi Palace wheels however they come with the same issues of keeping them at their best, “clean.” I was just making a suggestion if you wanted less maintenance on your HRE 505s.

That is strange that your rear hardware is colored black and not chrome. You could have the wheel hardware changed out when refurbishing the wheels. That was an option when I had my wheels refurbished.

12. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    I don't know how you guys put up with all those little bolt heads to clean around -- after having some 3-piece BBS wheels (with the same type of thing) I've sworn them off FOREVER! ;)

13. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    Cheap electric toothbrush with soft head makes it easy.

14. dinonz308

dinonz308 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 26, 2017
    Full Name:
    Dean
    Vibrating or rotating type?

15. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    Rotating type, battery operated, cheap one, not Braun or Oral-B. Make sure it is SOFT head.

dinonz308 likes this.
  16. Ferraritalian

Jan 19, 2019
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Steve
    OK, I’ve picked up a ton of info here, as usual.

-clarified the correct design of 328 v 308 after being misled by the eBay ad; ruled out 328s
    -determined my current wheels, ID either HRE 505 or Hayashi Palace, have a consistent polish issue as well as a need to replace the rear hardware that I don’t want to keep clean. Also found out that there was a real option in having them resurfaced and sealed, but decided I’m not into them enough any more to have them done.
    -found out that the likely best choice is a set of original 16” wheels, but at the prices quoted here, it doesn’t seem worth it when those wheels are still obviously not stock at 16”.
    -and found that the 16” repros are likely the right choice, and they appear to be decent wheels and are the same ones sold by everyone. And, while the shipping from the UK at Superperformance is high, the total price is far better than the eBay wheels I’d seen for sale.

So:
    - what have I missed?

- where is the location of the “cast in” marking vs the cheapie decal that was discussed? Does the decal just fall off or something? Do owners remove it?

- anyone have an actual picture of the 16” repros on a 308, preferably a red one?

Will order wheels sooner rather than later, unless I wait until after the Christmas mailing season.

17. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    .. or the forged wheels in 17” or 18”. These are Mark’s 18” which I find a bit to big but 17” is also available and they would only be a little more expensive than the cast 16”

Attached Files:

18. Ferraritalian

Jan 19, 2019
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Yeah, that’s an option, but I’m looking for 16s in a close to stock configuration at this point. Thanks, though!

19. miked

miked Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    The PO of my car installed Compomotive TS wheels which are a pain to keep clean with all the little bolts. I found that blowing the brake dust off with compressed air after each ride goes a long way towards keeping them clean.

20. Ferraritalian

Jan 19, 2019
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Steve
    OK, while I’m still waiting for responses to the above questions, let me add.. what about bolts? Seems the SP bolts are more expensive than those in US? Caps come with wheel sets of course? Should I order aluminum stems?

21. rjlloyd

rjlloyd Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Full Name:
    Richard Lloyd
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

I can answer a few of those, the stickers don’t come applied to the wheels (they didn’t with mine) so you can chose whether or not to put them on

I bought new valve stems at the same time - new wheels - new valves

Here is my red 308 with superformance repro’s sorry not the best to show the wheels , I can take more if you would like 1 was in the paint shop just after respray, the other two were prior to the repaint

I’ve been very happy with the superformance wheels and shipping to Australia wasn’t too bad from the UK. I’m always on the look out for originals , and will grab some if and when they come up at the right price

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Ferraritalian likes this.
  22. Ferraritalian

Jan 19, 2019
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Thanks very much, the last picture is a good one. Did you order the chrome wheel bolts for SP as well?

23. rjlloyd

rjlloyd Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Full Name:
    Richard Lloyd
    No they’re my original wheel bolts

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

24. trs666

trs666 Karting

Apr 17, 2014
    Göteborg, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Tommi S.
    Fixed the brake dust cleaning issue by changing to EBC redstuff pads. Helps with the marginal e-brake also. Used them on my Alfas for years with good results.

dinonz308 likes this.
  25. dave80gtsi

dave80gtsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dave Meredith
    Ferraritalian, 308 milano and rjlloyd like this.