FORMULA 1 HEINEKEN GRANDE PRÊMIO DO BRASIL 2019: RACE *** SPOILERS *** | Page 14 | FerrariChat

FORMULA 1 HEINEKEN GRANDE PRÊMIO DO BRASIL 2019: RACE *** SPOILERS ***

Discussion in 'F1' started by william, Nov 17, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    That's a DRS zone though...it's as much earned as the one going down the start/finish straight.

I think the point about Leclerc's move on Norris holds value...he did the same as Vettel with a different set of expectations. Point being, it is common for a driver to try to seal off the move once they are past a car. In this case, it did seem like Vettel was reacting strongly to Leclerc passing him and was unnecessarily aggressive with his teammate. Still, there has to be some expectation that a passing car will attempt to seal the pass by cutting off momentum.

Nembo1777 and Nuvolari like this.
  2. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    The detection zone is right after the end of the prior zone. Hard to expect anyone to have fallen outside the time requirement in such a short stretch. So no, they didn't earn it if they were just passed in the prior zone.

3. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    Depends on how you look at "earned", I guess. Imo, DRS passes are not the best idea, but if a car is in position they have the right to take advantage of the rules. The same would apply in a back-to-back detection zone, to me. They are both artificial, rules-influenced passes.

lagunacc likes this.
  4. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Binotto: “This is something that should not be repeated.”

Oh, MY! This guy Binotto really knows how to lay down the law! :rolleyes:

Hey, Mattia. You know what should not be repeated?

YOUR CONTRACT!!

:D

subirg, william, DF1 and 1 other person like this.
  5. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Well said.

And may I add that more importantly, Leclerc did not hit Norris, unlike Vettel. Norris jinked left but there was enough room between the two for him to react. In fact if you look at the footage, one of the Alfas does the same to Lando just before the Leclerc incident and Norris jinked there too - as you said part of the fun of the close racing at the start.

Also, In the Norris case, it looked like Leclerc was about to attempt a lunge on the inside of the Alfa then though better of it also because, unlike Vettel, he didn't expect the car beside him to disappear.

6. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Norris also shot across the track to avoid a collision and did not turn in the direction of Leclerc when doing so.

Of course the rules are different in the following circumstances:

- when your opponent is not a Ferrari
    - when it is the first lap
    - when your opponent is not your team mate
    - when the other guy has newer tires
    - when your opponent is not the guy you are rooting for
    - insert whatever convenient situation to defend your point here

I must say you guys do offer quite a lot of entertainment. The comments are better than the race.

500tr likes this.
  7. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    Great sequence. Shows quite definitively ... with ample room for both drivers, Vettel literally drove into Leclerc.

Just another in a long (and growing) list of unforced errors by Vettel.

jcurry, jpalmito, DF1 and 1 other person like this.
  8. eostr

eostr Rookie

Jul 31, 2019
    Moscow
    Full Name:
    Evgeny
    I need to mention here that Ferrari’s DNF is also an RB’s graduate’s remarkable achievement.
    Stormy applause to Sebastian ”The Spin Master” Vettel.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

9. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Another example in the litany of mental errors commited by Vettel. Overrated has-been driver.

Glad the most vociferous Vettel apologists have been banned or no longer post in the F1 section. Tired of posters making excuses for Vettel's f-ck ups. His only excuse is his ineptitude as a F1 driver.

lagunacc and william like this.
  10. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    At least Hamilton made the error after already wrapping up the WDC and Constructor's championship.

+1

+1

11. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I really would like to be a fly on the wall to hear is being said during post-race de-briefings at Ferrari.
    I also cannot understand how 2 different team managers (maybe 3) have been protecting Vettel.
    Any driver can make mistakes, but Vettel collects them at an alarming rate.
    The Scuderia has improved on the technical side this year, but Ferrari cannot hope to be a serious title contender until it has solved its drivers' problem.
    Leclerc seems to be exactly what they need, up to them to find him a solid partner.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  12. RWatters

RWatters Formula 3

Feb 21, 2006
    Kansas
    F430 F1 Singapore and zygomatic like this.
  13. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    Look at the restart after the SC: Vettel was ahead of Albon, but let Albon get around him.
    It looked like Vettel was more interested in blocking Leclerc than in maintaining his own position.

At that point, Leclerc had the fresh tires, and should have been released to go after Albon and the leaders.
    Instead, Vettel spent time failing to get around Albon until Leclerc's patience ran out, and Leclerc passed Vettel, who responded with apparent ego-driven "red mist".
    Vettel has had quite the number of "red mist" errors, in the past couple of years.

14. lagunacc

lagunacc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 24, 2013
    That's the only thing that matters to SV, to finish equal or ahead of CL.
    He's a cancer for the team, as someone in the italian video comments wrote "Campione del ca**o!!!!"

Bino's too much of a technocrat to deal with him.
    Unless SV has some dirt on F the way Alonso had on MCL, but I don't think he's calculated enough for that.

william likes this.
  15. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

https://www.espn.com/f1/story/_/id/28113945/ferrari-drivers-follow-hamilton-example-brawn

One of Ferrari's two drivers should take a leaf out of Lewis Hamilton's book and accept blame for Sunday's Brazilian Grand Prix collision, according to the Italian team's former technical director Ross Brawn.

Sebastian Vettel and Charles Leclerc put each other out of the penultimate race of the Formula One season at Interlagos after a coming together five laps from the end with a likely podium place at stake. Hamilton, now a six-time world champion, collided on the penultimate lap with Red Bull's Thai rookie, Alexander Albon, and immediately recognised he was at fault.

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Ferrari's Brazilian GP collision was a long time coming
    The Mercedes driver was summoned to stewards after the race but declined the chance to defend himself, sending a message to say he accepted full responsibility. The Briton's action resulted in a five-second penalty and demotion from third place to seventh.

"I wouldn't want to venture an opinion on who was most at fault for the collision," Brawn, now Formula One's managing director for motorsport and also a former Mercedes team boss, said of the Ferrari collision in a review of the weekend. "But in the cold light of day, maybe it would be good if one of them will follow Hamilton's example and immediately admit culpability, as the champion did regarding his clash with Albon."

william likes this.
  16. Yeah.....c'mon Seb. Fess up. Image Unavailable, Please Login

william and DF1 like this.
  17. lagunacc

lagunacc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 24, 2013
    Nico's opinion: One more season like that, hahaha, omg

18. RWatters

RWatters Formula 3

Feb 21, 2006
    Kansas
    I didn't pick up on this originally, but in the radio messages between Vettel and the team the team tells him his battery is full, to drive slowly, and to park the car but nothing else. During the messages from LeClerc and the team the team actually says "Sorry about that" to him after the incident. Granted we don't normally hear all of the radio, I found that to be pretty interesting.

19. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    AMuS

The FIA has seized parts of the fuel system of Ferrari, one Ferrari customer and one Non-Ferrari. A thorough investigation of the parts will be conducted in the FIA laboratories.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. Ruh-roh Reorge....... :oops:

21. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Yeah

Once the FIA publish their findings, RedBull and Mercedes will be all over it IF they can gain some insight.

22. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Breaking News

Fia leaderboard is now investigated for giving to Mercedes power unit technical regulations years before their introduction which has almost lead to kill sport the last six years

fil and furoni like this.
  23. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Source ?

lorenzobandini likes this.
  24. tonyswfla

tonyswfla Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 2, 2007
    Florida