Purchasing a F355 with over 50k mileage | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Purchasing a F355 with over 50k mileage

Discussion in '348/355' started by CCWillF355, Nov 14, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Yes, they do. If improperly maintained and/or neglected.

Lots of pretty pictures in online ads. Lots of shady sellers too. Buyer beware.

2. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #27 Ferrarium, Nov 15, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2019

True but lets be honest with ourselves here, mechanical components have a finite life. The more they are used the closer to end of life they get. Engines do not age backwards. Right or wrong its why lower mileage cars fetch more money.

That said compression check and leak down REGARDLESS of miles, assume very car has false odometer reading as it takes 30 seconds to disconnect it. If that's good everything else is almost trivial go for it. The trick is you can go broke doing PPI's and compresion/leakdown checks. You really have to discriminate.

Also search the VIN out here BEFORE you buy. Good luck and posts it up when you land one, you'll find one!

CCWillF355 and flat_plane_eddie like this.
  3. CCWillF355

CCWillF355 Karting

Nov 14, 2019
    London
    Full Name:
    Chris Williams
    Intend to do 1500 miles a year, as it’ll only be for pleasure drives at weekends. Want a car to enjoy, maintain and make my own with a few individual touches.

4. CCWillF355

CCWillF355 Karting

Nov 14, 2019
    London
    Full Name:
    Chris Williams
    VIN look up, I will look to get that to do it.

5. CCWillF355

CCWillF355 Karting

Nov 14, 2019
    London
    Full Name:
    Chris Williams

How do I search the VIN on here?

6. Sancho22

Sancho22 Karting

Oct 24, 2018
    Northern New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Laszlo Szanka
    While very different cars many think about low mileage garage queen Porsches similarly to low mileage Ferrari's.
    I would in most cases take the higher mileage well documented, serviced and driven car for both marques.
    All the rubber hoses/many components deteriorate as well and both cars were designed to be driven, driven in a sporty ("spirited") fashion and enjoyed including an occasional track day.

CCWillF355 likes this.
  7. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    magnifying glass in the header bar, paste vin. or just paste vin into a google search.

sjd

8. CCWillF355

CCWillF355 Karting

Nov 14, 2019
    London
    Full Name:
    Chris Williams
    Tried both no results.

9. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Put the vin here let me run some searches too.

10. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    #35 greyboxer, Nov 16, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
    Realistically the likelihood of any given car getting a mention here is incredibly low even more so if non-US so its hardly surprising

Also the proportion of US cars with valve guide issues seems far higher than ROW (fuel ?) which may or may not be why there seems less emphasis on the leakdown test

The recently unused car mentioned above may give bad stats initially but respond well to an Italian tune-up

11. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Compared to a leak-down test, nothing.

12. cscott

cscott Formula Junior

Dec 31, 2002
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Chris Scott
    Price, condition, value, investment, history. They all effect a cars price for all the right reasons but there is no right answer other than know what your buying, what you want to do with it, and pay accordingly. My 355 had 30k when bought in 02 and has over 80k now.

13. cscott

cscott Formula Junior

Dec 31, 2002
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Chris Scott
    Miles that is...it’s not about NO story just KNOW the real story and what you are getting into

14. ruey220

ruey220 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

May 24, 2019
    Sf bay area
    Full Name:
    RM

I feel at this stage of the car being over 2 decades old mileage is more psychological vs practical over 35k miles. Why I say 35k miles because the car would have to have been driven at least 1k miles a year at some point since it's highly unlikely someone buys a high mileage car and decides to sit on it.

These cars were made to be driven. They like to be driven or things age and deteriorate quicker just by sitting there then suddenly be driven. It does need maintenance as mileage goes up but those maintenance requirements will become more obvious if it was properly maintained through the proper intervals.

So the sweet spot imho for these cars is 30k to 60k miles, below 30k you pay a premium that it has been more babied, but that doesnt assure like others say the critical parts that usually need replacing like valves or headers were addressed. Over 60k might be too much regardless of condition bec by that point I feel most stuff are no longer original and it could have passed through too many hands you dont know what it's been through if it matters to you at all.

Key when buying this car I feel is the specs you want, number of owners it been through, mileage, then full ppi. Then you can factor price based on comps and it will lead you to ultimately have a reasonable expectation you are happy what you end up getting. The true satisfaction is owning a good 355.

Sancho22 and Challenge like this.
  15. eyeman1234

eyeman1234 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 25, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    So much truth here but just to state the obvious, unfortunate fact. Many buyers fear, foolishly, a Ferrari with 40K+ miles and so it hurts resale but can be used to your advantage as a buyer.

QSA likes this.