The 812 GTS sound....finally! | FerrariChat

The 812 GTS sound....finally!

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by KarlA69, Nov 19, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    After months of speculation... here it is... the sound of the 812 GTS (with GPF fitted) revving! Sent to me by a dealer in Australia that has a demonstrator.

I spoke to the salesman and mentioned I’d already ordered one so no need for a sales pitch; what does it honestly sound like? He said the GTS is not quieter than the 812, although it does have more of a deep, baritone sound. He mentioned that most people couldn’t tell the difference between the two, unless they really listened for it.

I guess this is good news!! Will be great to hear it in person, but it puts my mind at ease somewhat.

LMH, of2worlds and mthompson2376 like this.
  2. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    I have tried to upload the video (.mov format) but it won't let me. If anyone is interested I can email to them - PM me.

Perhaps someone more tech savvy can upload it if I email it to them?

3. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Think this is what you are looking for?

4. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    No, I have a different video sent by the dealer with no music, just of the car revving. Will upload once I figure it out!

5. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    The video is down!!!

6. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    Ok, I have managed to do it via Youtube (below). Apologies for my technical ineptitude!

This video came directly from a dealer and is a GTS demonstrator (with GPF fitted). Listening to the video again, back to back with the 812 coupe, I do think they sound different. The GTS is somewhat more muffled. Thoughts?

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  7. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Sounds good to me,.
    I would think the microphone was on the camera or phone inside the cabin, so it won’t sound the same as outside.

Until we hear it in person we won’t know.
    If you can can get them to do the same standing at the rear of the car that might help?

8. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    So hard to tell even in that room, but its sound promising. Its gonna lose a bit of the pitch we know that, PorscheGTs/AudiR8s the same but its maybe like 5-10% less pitch; even with that do you really think people are going to walk away. I think the larger issue the GTS has is the weight and just its look, I am trying to figure out what combo will hide its awkward humped side profile.

Bundy, of2worlds, leopoldo and 2 others like this.
  9. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    even if that is muffled, it won't get much better than that.. don't know what else stock out of the box can sound like what the video shows

10. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    Drove a 2020 812 twice over the last few weeks. Sounded like Godzilla in musth. The above video either doesn’t do justice or, well, I’m afraid to say....

11. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
  12. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    #12 Napoli, Nov 20, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
    Judging a book by it's cover, no way I would ever click on that.

nads and BOKE like this.
  13. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    I told Adam that Thumbnail sucked.

14. Fireman1291

Fireman1291 Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2017
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Adam
    BAHAHAHAHAHAH!

15. KenU

KenU Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2004
    Planet Earth
    Full Name:
    Ken
    What is "musth"?

16. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    It's the male equivalent of being " in heat".

T

Napoli likes this.
  17. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    Think of the rut, except for adult male elephants - and way more dangerous for anything in its path.

18. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    Hakuna Matata

19. KenU

KenU Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2004
    Planet Earth
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Ah, ok. Huh??

20. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    Think noisy testosterone-driven rampage. *There’s an 812 exhaust note metaphor in there somewhere.

21. klinkman

klinkman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I view this sort of like trying to evaluate colors via this forum, you know the one, " does anyone know what color this is?"

Does anyone realize their phone or monitor displays different color values than the one right next door? So that one image can appear like two completely different colors on two different devices?

Same goes for sound.

If you're not evaluating the two cars right next to each other, recorded under the same conditions, there is really no way to get a good read on a GPF car versus a non GPF car. Files can be also edited.

just sayin. . . .

Personally, I'm going to wait for the demonstrator/launch car to show up at my dealer before I decide anything. cheers

Caeruleus11 and of2worlds like this.
  22. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Exactly right. And you know Ferrari will do everything they can to make is sound amazing.

klinkman likes this.
  23. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Personally, I am going to order one and tell myself no matter what I love the way it sounds! :)

24. Maloja

Maloja Karting

Oct 19, 2016
    The below revving video of an 812 Superfast is probably getting pretty close to the set up of the 812 GTS revving video with the difference that the 812 SF is only revving up to ~ 5800 rpm and 812 GTS up to ~ 8500 rpm and the roof might be open.

For whatever reason you need to click below the video into the text in order to view the video.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

25. mthompson2376

mthompson2376 Formula Junior

Feb 2, 2017
    North East England
    Full Name:
    Mark Thompson
    Ferrari say they are compensating for the GPF by introducing equal length headers, I had a 997 GT3 and installed equal length headers and the sound was transformed (everything else was standard), much deeper and high pitch howl, opened up the acoustic range vastly...

I think let’s see and wait but many things Ferrari can do to get the sound back and even improve the sound. (If not you can be sure the aftermarket seen will jump in)

Nice to finally hear the car but will never be able to determine the sound from an iPhone video, and just revving, I want hear the thing blasting down the road at 100mph+ , live....that’s surely the only way we will be able to decide...

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Napoli likes this.