348 Spider window control problem | FerrariChat

348 Spider window control problem

Discussion in '348/355' started by flying butress, Nov 19, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. flying butress

Oct 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    Robin Kohn
    Hello all, my Italian mistress has given me yet another fit. The driver's side window suddenly developed a mind of its own. The window switch will cause it to go all the way up with the top down rather than stopping 2 CM from the top as it is supposed to do. The window will then go down when the switch is activated. However, when the window is up with the door closed, the window goes all the way down when the key is turned off. The passenger's side is normal and responds to the micro switch in the windshield frame. I would appreciate ANY advice. I was inside the door recently to replace some weather stripping, so I may have disturbed something. I have tentatively ruled out damaged wires in the door frame since those have already been remediated and the windows all have power as does everything else. Is there a micro switch in the door?? If there is, would I access it from the outside (removed strakes)? Currently, I am leaning toward thinking it is a wonky ECU window controller. On that subject, if I need to, I will remove it and have it refurbished, but I have no idea where it lives. There are some for sale on ebay, but I question whether they are for a Spider - if there is a difference in controllers. The number I have been given for the correct unit is 154769 but all the offers for sale don't say Spider (?)

Thank you in advance!

2. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Robin, F348 non-Spiders don't have window ECUs. They just have hardwired switches (to motors).

Does anyone know where the F348 Window ECU lives? I only know where it is on the F355.

3. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    After a little research, I found that the "2 inch/5cm" down microswitch is mounted on the window mechanism front track, towards the top.

See arrow in this photograph (of a non-Spider F355)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

I doubt you could get to it from the outside. You would have to remove the door card and the black plastic.

To check the switch and wiring, you could do it at the ECU. The 355 wiring diagram should assist in doing these checks.

Window Control F355 5.2

Disconnect the smaller 8-pin connector on the Window ECU (if you can find the ECU) and check the resistance across connector pins 7 & 3 (car side). With the window down, the switch should be closed circuit. With the window up, the switch should be open circuit. The only problem is, I don't know how you would keep the window up with power off the car. Compare the resistance readings with those on pins 4 and 8 (the passenger window).

I'm wondering if you dropped something into the door when you changed the weather stripping and it jammed the switch. Do you have some kind of endoscope you could slide past the weather strip to have a look at the switch. Maybe one of those cheap smartphone wi-fi types, although I'm not sure if the probes are small enough.

New ECUs are pretty pricey. I've seen used ones for around U$200 plus postage.