Fuse and bulb container contents? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Fuse and bulb container contents?

Discussion in '308/328' started by Saabguy, Mar 31, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MREUS

MREUS Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 24, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    #26 MREUS, Aug 1, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here is mine. Good to know that the tool kit has the spark plugs. Interestingly enough, my container has 6 bulbs. The parts catalog says 5. Also note that there is what appears to be a fuse holder that is empty. Based on the parts catalog there should only be 4 fuses. So, I guess that is "by design".

Here is a link to the contents:
    Ferrari 308QVUS Parts : Table 43 - TOOL KIT
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. jaa1359

jaa1359 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jun 1, 2014
    Did 328's also come with a working light? I don't see it listed here:

file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/jajluni/My%20Documents/Downloads/Pag%20101.pdf

3. andyww

andyww F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2011
    London
    Yes they did, in a plastic pouch.

4. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve

308's as well.

5. 328PWC

328PWC Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 5, 2011
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Cissell
    #30 328PWC, Feb 23, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here is a picture of one.

6. chfengr1

chfengr1 Rookie

Aug 17, 2004
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Did you ever get a list of the contents of the fuse / bulb containers? I have an '84 308 and can list the parts if you wish.

7. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017

Spending a little time on the small but important details on my 1989 328 GTB. The original foam in my bulb and fuse container needed to be replaced. It took me a little time to find the correct foam but finally did. Here is the final result.

Rosey likes this.
  8. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
  9. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Karting

May 28, 2008
    england
  10. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    cheesypeas likes this.
  11. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Karting

May 28, 2008
    england
    I will post pictures of the completed job.

These light bulb holders seem to have been standard equipment on many different Italian makes ( Alfa Romeo, Lancia, etc) . They appear to be quite common. There are currently 7 for sale on eBay. Prices range from £30 to a rather hopeful $250.

The white plastic sheet appears to have been stuck to the bottom of the foam. It does not have holes for all the plastic bits that stick up from the bottom of the container and the size of it means that the foam would have been held away from the bottom of the container.

12. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Correct. The plastic sheet is rather inconsistent with the designated holes. I’m just curious about the type of foam you used. It took me a while to find the correct foam replace. Attached is my restored case.

13. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Karting

May 28, 2008
    england
    I'm not trying to get the correct foam. EVA foam is also known as craft foam. It's also the stuff they use in the more expensive tool sets to hold the tools snugly and in their correct place. There are videos on youtube to show how to work with it.

I didn't check the delivery date when buying it. It turns out it's coming from China. Delivery in a month from now. :)

EVA Foam Sheets For Kids Craft Cosplay Model 13.7"×39" Thickness 10mm £9 inc delivery.

Cheers.

14. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Karting

May 28, 2008
    england
    Labman and miketuason like this.
  15. dinoart

dinoart Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 30, 2004
    Westminster CA
    Full Name:
    David
    Is there foam in the green light bulb holder? I understand that foam only came with 328 holders. Just got the score sheet & photos back from FCA National in Scottdale. Score sheet says my 85 GTS QV light bulb hoder is missing the foam. Experts out there please speak. Thank you.

16. dinoart

dinoart Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 30, 2004
    Westminster CA
    Full Name:
    David
  17. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    I can’t honestly comment if 308’s did or not.

18. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #43 Rifledriver, Nov 20, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2019

I believe foam inserts started when the cars switched to ATO style fuses and there was no provision to hold them. I would certainly appreciate any definitive information to the contrary. If in your case there was in fact a deduction for that (many things get noted and not deducted for) and if that deduction made no difference to your award if any I'd just use it as a teaching moment and be prepared to mount a defense the next time. If it was deducted and it did make a difference in your finishing status you can request a confirmation that the deduction was indeed proper. You are missing some light bulbs and they would have been justified in taking issue with that.

Enough questions like this come up at each event it should provide most entrants and most judges to go home and study yet another thing we have no perfect answer for.

I would never have taken a deduction for that. It is my belief there is insufficient knowledge on the topic to justify it. Knowledge of these cars in minute details is a moving target. Ferrari did few things consistently and it is not our goal to force them into cookie cutter patterns. Those inconsistencies are one of their attractive qualities.

BTW The color of the holder is meaningless. By that time one car had green, the next car down the line had yellow etc.

19. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Looks very nice but I think the fuses were poked into the free areas of the foam and not stuck in at the periphery. Makes no difference, just an observation.

20. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    You must be so incredibly unhappy with the deduction to be hassling so quickly !

21. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I would not define it as incredibly unhappy or hassling, more like curiosity and a desire to understand. Its been nearly 2 weeks.

22. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    You’re correct. They were poked. I just set them up that way to minimize the foam getting worn.

23. dinoart

dinoart Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 30, 2004
    Westminster CA
    Full Name:
    David
    That's correct. No hard feelings. Just want to know what's right. I made the cut off at 97 and went on finished the Coppa Bella. I was grateful that the judges didn't knock off for other things that questions were raised. It's a learning process and move on.

24. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Congrats. My other half runs the Coppa Bella.

Rossocorsa1 likes this.
  25. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    In the future, remember you are your cars advocate. Do not hesitate to try and prove your point when those things come up. If you show it again and the same comes up tell them you have researched it and cannot find evidence the pre ATO fuse cars ever had foam. As judges we really need to be able to prove or support our deductions.