Daytona Compression 1971 Euro | FerrariChat

Daytona Compression 1971 Euro

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Duke, Nov 20, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Duke

Duke Rookie

Oct 4, 2018
    Jacksonville , Florida
    Full Name:
    Frank C. Steinemann, Jr.
    Can anyone tell me the proper compression range for a good Daytona Engine?

2. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    Even is the answer you are looking for. The actual number has a number of variables. Cam timing is a really big factor. In a compression test you are looking for a variable in cylinder to cylinder. If it is within 10-15% on an older engine, you should be just fine. I would say that on four cam engines, you may find one side is higher than the other as well. This is again cam timing. A few degrees can make a big difference. This is not an issue when evaluating the "health" of the engine as this can be adjusted. As long as the bank is within 10-15%. I had a 355 that had fantastic compression numbers, like #255+ on some. It was not even though and ran poorly. The cam timing was really far off. The uneven reading was the clue to bad valve guides. I suspect the shop had altered the cam timing to get decent compression number to mask bad valve guides. This car was a recent purchase brought to me because it didn't run well at low RPM.
    Anyway, long rant to say, look for even, not high numbers.

f355spider and brian.s like this.
  3. Duke

Duke Rookie

Oct 4, 2018
    Jacksonville , Florida
    Full Name:
    Frank C. Steinemann, Jr.
    Many Thanks!