F8 - My newly ordered F8 - Advanced Front Driving Camera? | FerrariChat

F8 My newly ordered F8 - Advanced Front Driving Camera?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by VHlambo580, Nov 17, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. VHlambo580

VHlambo580 Karting

Dec 4, 2017
    Question for you all. When I ordered my F8 I selected a free option (advanced front driving camera). Can someone tell me exactly what this does? I was thinking something for tracking the car but could be wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    It’s a parking camera

3. tickerhound

tickerhound Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2016
    IL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I think that refers to to feature that "reads" the speed limit signs on the road. I have this on my 2020 812, there looks to be a small aperture by the rear view mirror housing that looks forward. The small icons that pop up on the TFT display are almost too small for me to read, but my near vision is poor.

tfazio and Caeruleus11 like this.
  4. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Knowing the speed limit in a Ferrari is about as useful as knowing its miles per gallon. Or as we say in my country: about as useful as a guitar on a burial :D

Kind regards,

Nuno.

5. red308

red308 Karting

Nov 13, 2006
    Pleasanton CA
    It is part of the “ADAS” Advanced driver-assistance systems. FCAM for the front and BRAD for the rear. The system was first offered on the Lusso, then Portofino and is now being rolled out in other models. These systems facilitate 1) adaptive cruise control, 2) predictive emergency braking, 3) pre-fill function for brakes, 4) forward collision warning, 5) emergency brake assist, 6) autonomous emergency braking with pedestrian detection, 7) blind spot detection, 8) rear cross traffic alert, 9) traffic sign recognition, 10) lane departure warning, 11) automatic high beam, and 12) surround view.

6. soulsea

soulsea Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2018
    That’s all so depressing. :(

7. VHlambo580

VHlambo580 Karting

Dec 4, 2017
    Wait, it was a no cost option. What was just describes sounds like a very costly option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. red308

red308 Karting

Nov 13, 2006
    Pleasanton CA
    U.S. safety laws are mandating some of these features in our market. FCAM is included along with the rear parking camera. BRAD is optional.

9. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Cool will it alert me if I shart and about to stain my expensive Italian leather seat?
    That would be helpful too.

10. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    You can turn these systems off.... (for now!)

Astrid.Didier likes this.
  11. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    You forgot stop/start that is now mandatory on the F8.

12. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Ugh...

You know... when I removed the power steering pump from my 90' Toyota Pickup and threw it into the trash, my girlfriend said, "Don't we want power steering on the pickup truck?"

I told her, "If the F40 doesn't need power steering, then neither does my truck"

I sort of feel like this also applies to most everything listed above, 1 through 12 - is it really needed?

I'm just waiting for the day when Ferrari rolls out autonomous driving and deep AI machine learning on their cars. I mean it's cool and all - just like a Tesla driving through an under ground tunnel at 200 MPH is cool also - but is this really why you want to own a Ferrari?

If I think back to driving my 360 or 458.. most of the times I vividly (and fondly) recall were the times when I almost lost control of the car around corners, because I came in so hot that the ECU couldn't figure out what the heck was going on or what exactly to do :-D Or all the times I disabled all the electronics and kicked the back end so far out in a left hand turn that people in the far right lane had their hearts skip a beat for a moment. Those are the most memorable times and why I love Ferrari.

Lane departure warning? Forward collision warning?

Last time I checked, "Forward collision warning" meant my girlfriend screaming "look out!" as I cut lanes on the highway to bypass a Prius.

Ray

13. Texas2step

Texas2step Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2018
    Full Name:
    Bola olusola
    Can you temporarily disable after each start like in the Portofino etc

14. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Yes

Texas2step likes this.
  15. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    I have this feature on my Audi S5 convertible. It puts the speed limit icon on the dash and projects it on the windshield along with the digital speed in mph. The windshield display can be turned off.

I like it.

16. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    #16 PhilNotHill, Nov 19, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
    I have these features on my Audi.

The lane maintain feature is shut off as is the feature that automatically matches your speed to the speed limit sign.

17. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Ferrari is now a Tesla.

day355 likes this.
  18. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    Does the F8 have distance cruise control and lane assist?

19. sf_hombre

sf_hombre Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2008
    Stimulus Bill
    Full Name:
    Don
    "Cool will it alert me if I shart and about to stain my expensive Italian leather seat?
    That would be helpful too."

Ha! More helpful is the admonition to never trust a fart.

20. red308

red308 Karting

Nov 13, 2006
    Pleasanton CA
    By distance cruise control, I assume you are referring to is adaptive cruise control, so the answer is yes.
    By lane assist, I assume you are referring to land keeping assist, so the answer is no. This one is only lane departure warning that you have crossed over the lines.

tekaefixe likes this.
  21. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    Wow! Still it’s a great option the ACC! How much does this option costs?

22. Garretto

Garretto F1 Rookie

Sep 3, 2003
    Bilbao, Spain
    Full Name:
    Rodolfo Di Pietro
    Why would you want those systems off? They actually help you not crashing your car into walls, pedestrians or other cars while they don't really interfere with spirited driving or "the Ferrari driving experience" at all.

I guess you can properly use your Ferrari most of the time and still benefit from those systems whenever you drive conventionally.

23. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    If you need these systems to avoid walls! Then I think you have real problems. But I think I understand where you are coming from. I just think they should always give the driver a choice- so long as we are driving these cars, and its not the cars that are driving us! I am open to new things and I like some of the benefits of the systems, but I also like that they can be turned off. Where I live, people will often drive over the lines on the highway, so you have to move over a little bit, these systems will constantly beep that you are out of lane. Thats just annoying and there's nothing really dangerous about it, you are just adjusting to the conditions. And the cars that try to steer for you are worse as it feels like you just entered a rut in the road and the car is fighting you. I do appreciate things like blind spot warnings, as people can jump right into your blind spot pretty quickly, and 360 parking camera is very nice- but after a few days with a new car I can usually get it parked straight. The radar based braking systems can be very useful, especially for newer drivers. I was driving a BMW several years ago where someone 2 cars ahead in the line of traffic randomly jammed on their brakes, I could not see due to my behind a large 18 wheeler. My cars brakes began to engage, it caught my attention, then I saw the 18 wheeler braking hard, so I started pressing harder, glanced at the rear view to make sure the car behind me wasn't too close and then pressed even harder. So these things can be useful. But, I like giving the driver the choice.

24. Garretto

Garretto F1 Rookie

Sep 3, 2003
    Bilbao, Spain
    Full Name:
    Rodolfo Di Pietro
    I would like to stress my point that you get enhanced safety and practicality at no actual cost of the driving experience. Then bring them on!

25. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I agree with you. However, there are others who say these add extra weight, complexity and cost- and they don't want them. To go back to my original post which you quoted, I am saying- well, you can turn these things off. :)

Garretto likes this.