Need help with replacement radio for F355? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Need help with replacement radio for F355?

Discussion in '348/355' started by mjsdas, Aug 28, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Carmellini

Carmellini Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2019
    whichever radio is used, are the dash tweeters considered front speakers when wiring the radio, and
    the door speakers hooked up to the rear terminals of the main unit?

2. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    When I installed a new head unit and CD changer in my 355 (this was back in 2005), I recall the door speakers are wired as a set, with the bottom speaker getting a full range signal and the tweeter having a simple filter to prevent damaging low frequencies going to it. So no, the tweeter and midrange speakers are wired as "front", left and right. I recall I later replaced the midrange door speakers with a better quality co-axial speaker and was pleased with the all around improvement. (the factory midrange was pretty cheap looking) I imagine similar improvements could be made in the tweeters, but after looking at how they are mounted in the vents, it looked like it might be a bit more than I wanted to tackle trying to adapt something.

3. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Coaxial will image better the separate tweeters will have time delay issues unless you add dsp in most cars where your not doing a big dollar install. I unplugged my tweeters left them in then installed jl audio coax in the doors. Infiniti kappas will make much better low end. Expect to need to trim the speaker pocket however for those. Kicker does make 6.5 coax that will fit. Coax just sound better unless you can stick the tweeter next to the mid bass driver.

Sent using FerrariChat.com mobile app

4. judd10

judd10 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 30, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    I upgraded to the Becker Cascade from the F430 era. It's nice because it looks pretty stock, sounds a lot better and I can connect my iPhone to it. If you get the CD and CF Nav chip and antenna, you can use the GPS navigation. But honestly, the navigation stinks and isn't worth the extra $ for the CD, CF chip, etc. I even got a spare radio in case I ever get another vintage (pre-2000) Ferrari. Good luck!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Badabing!

Badabing! Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2014
    NYC
    Mine is 1997 and according to Ferrari corporate was equipped with a Becker unit. Had an Alpine aftermarket unit installed when Imacquired the car. I was able to source a used oem unit whe. I got the car 5 years ago. Will get around to getting it installed eventually lol