What's For Dinner? | Page 457 | FerrariChat

What's For Dinner?

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by agup48, Apr 7, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Thanks. Wife bought a few wedges of cheese at the grocery store, so I checked out some pizza recipes online...T

2. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Haha. My wife insists on going to Mickey D's when we travel abroad, mostly to check out the menus. The ones in Norway had beer IIRC. The one in Bucharest had something called McPork, I think it was. I'd love to check out one in India some day. They look amazing from YouTube videos.
    T

TexasF355F1 likes this.
  3. Frank_C

Frank_C F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2004
    Whistling through the wheat field in Texas
    Full Name:
    Frank Cavallo
    arizonaitalian likes this.
  4. I.T. Guy

I.T. Guy F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 17, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jason
    arizonaitalian and Frank_C like this.
  5. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
  6. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I just showed that steak pic to my wife and she cried. That means, you done well!

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Arroz con Pollo. Sweat onions and bell pepper. Cumin, S&P, cilantro. Medium grain rice. Chicken boobs, diced. Simmer. Add hot sauce. Enjoy...T

arizonaitalian and I.T. Guy like this.
  7. max930

max930 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    I had chopped scallop rolls with tuna and salmon sashimi. The waitress got my order wrong and only gave me salmon. Corrected her and she brought me tuna. Image Unavailable, Please Login

NbyNW and tomc like this.
  8. Frank_C

Frank_C F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2004
    Full Name:
    Frank Cavallo
    Nice. Gave me a chubby...

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

9. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    I.T. Guy likes this.
  10. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    There are a number of polish stores in our area. I went in one today and they had some homemade pierogis in a large Tupperware in the cooler. Took some home to surprise Ania for dinner...

They were amazing. Both Ania and I tried to avoid saying they were better than her mothers...they were that good...

We got the 3 best types; meat, cabbage and ruskie (potato and cheese). These were very large and stuffed with the fillings. We only ate one of each for a dinner. I made the traditional butter and onion topping.

Happy to know we have another portion for tomorrow!

I.T. Guy likes this.
  11. max930

Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    Manitoba and Ontario, both have large Polish communities. You can get good pierogis there. Vancouver has a county fair type deal at the end of summer. A guy there sold awesome pierogis. But he died.

Tonight since I was passing it anyway, stopped into Burger King. Had coupons. Got a whopper and poutine. Washed down with a coke. Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. Frank_C

Frank_C F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2004
    Full Name:
    Frank Cavallo
    HOT wings.......

On a scary note. Came in from rowing- 45 min watched an episode of The Americans and bottomed out- sugar was 48. Felt clammy and had minor shakes. On the bright side gave me an excuse to eat a Rocher- first chocolate since 3/10.

I.T. Guy and arizonaitalian like this.
  13. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Holy carp! Assuming you mean mg /dL (those are units I haven't seen since college chemistry!), that's crazy low. Glad you're feeling better.

Nothing too exciting tonight. Chef salad with boiled egg and ahi tuna. Wasabi vinaigrette. Sinuses clear!

T

14. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
  15. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    very nice. I'm going to have to start cooking my steaks in a cast iron pan soon. I've been a grill guy my entire life, even grilling out in the winter since I've lived in CA and AZ for all of my winters. But, here in London I will be learning the pan technique. In my 4 suitcases I schlepped on my flight back on Oct 3, I brought my very heavy Lodge large pan and its matching "lip/skillet" wrapped up in a jacket. Its still sitting in the unopened suitcase...waiting...

I've already ID'd the butcher where I'll be buying a dry-aged ribeye (and a filet for Ania) for the first dinner in our flat...only 2 more weeks...

Tips welcomed! (we are "crust/char and rare" people)

For example, what fat is best for that outcome? What temp/amount of flame on the pan?

16. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Pierogi's part duex tonight. Just as good as yesterday.

(After 2 nights in a row, I think I'm good on pierogi until we return to Krakow for Christmas and we get to eat her mom's.)

NbyNW likes this.
  17. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    For your preferences (mine are medium so hence the times above) I would heat up thick bacon for the fat (sorry, not that Britt stuff!), remove and to the smoking cast iron add the room temp steaks for 1-2min per side, remove and rest 4-6min, then return with butter and :45-1min per side. The high heat and fat should get you crust yet rare inside. Adjust time as needed. I use only salt and pepper, added to meat right before going into skillet. Sears right into the steaks. The salt was from Iceland...fantastic.

I.T. Guy and arizonaitalian like this.
  18. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    awesome, thanks. I'm going to do just as you prescribe...it sounds yummy. Will report back. Won't be until Dec 10 or so...

19. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    when you add in the 1/4 stick or more of butter, toss in 2 garlic cloves (not chopped) and a sprig of rosemary. Spoon the butter mixture over the steaks for the :45-1min. delish.

20. max930

Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
  21. max930

Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
  22. I.T. Guy

I.T. Guy F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 17, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I like as hot as you can get it
    Same with oven Have it cranked to 500+

Slather in olive oil or melted butter, salt, black pepper, some like garlic powder I like staying more pure without.

Then for a nice thick steak 2 mins flip 2 mins then don’t flip just pop whole thing in oven fir two mins but for rare maybe cut it down to 1:30

Make sure you know how to disable the smoke detectors!

I haven tried the butter crusting at home yet. No tips on that, if you do it let me know how!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

23. Frank_C

Frank_C F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2004
    Full Name:
    Frank Cavallo
    #11423 Frank_C, Nov 21, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2019
    The key to cast iron and crust is a multiple flips. I start off smoking hot with a chunk of ghee. Then flips depend upon steak thickness and your taste. I prefer 1 min flips 2 min also work (same for burgers). After 2 flips chunk in a bunch of butter +/- 2-3 whole garlic cloves and a few sticks of thyme and flip a few more times. U can baste but I just swirl around in the butter. I go 8 min total for 1.25” steaks or 8 oz 5” burger patties.

Burgers tonight with sharp cheddar, Kaiser rolls, arugula and cherry tomatoes. Boss had chips.

24. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    NbyNW likes this.
  25. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Best food = Tokyo

C50 likes this.