Charcoal canister | FerrariChat

Charcoal canister

Discussion in '308/328' started by Irishman, Nov 17, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Irishman

Irishman F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2005
    Raleigh
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Can I just remove the charcoal canister? I'm working on the expansion tank and the extra room would be helpful. For years and years I have had several vapor lines in this area of the car that someone else had cut and left terminated and open to the atmosphere.

This car is old enough it no longer requires yearly inspections in the state where I live.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    It can be eliminated but you need to be sure to vent the fuel system in a way that insures no fuel spillage even in a roll over.

eyeman1234 and waymar like this.
  3. Irishman

Irishman F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2005
    Raleigh
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Any advice as to how to proceed?

This car has lots of vapor lines terminated in no sane way. If rolled over I would expect fuel spillage, whether I remove this canister or not.

A roll over seems highly unlikely the way I drive the car. However, I cannot predict what the unwashed masses on phones in their large automobiles might cause, therefore would prefer if possible to avoid going out in a blaze of glory : - ).

4. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Why not buy a replacement canister and then replace/correctly connect the hoses? It's not as if having a properly operating charcoal canister is a bad thing. ;)

Matto and waymar like this.
  5. Irishman

Irishman F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2005
    Raleigh
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Variety of reasons. At the moment the canister is in my way : - ). There must be 5-10 vapor hoses just cut off about the car and have been for the 13+ years I have owned it. Two of the hoses from this canister are terminated in no sensible way. One of them goes into some sort of valve (rusted) and attached to the rear of the engine compartment and the other end of the hose coming out of that valve is just cut off but heading towards the left side of the car.

It's a mystery of Rube Goldberg emissions devices. A mystery, in my opinion, better left unsolved. :) :)