458 - TPMS sensor lifespan | FerrariChat

458 TPMS sensor lifespan

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Scout123, Nov 20, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Scout123

Scout123 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2017
    Another one for a new 458 owner. I know that the TPMS can be a headache on these cars. My TPMS failure light came on today. Tires are fine on pressure. From reading other posts, replacing these sensors seems to be a pretty common issue. I looked at past service records on car, and during June 2019 service at dealer, tech commented that TPM are 13 months old, but still operating fine. So, this makes me think that failure at routine intervals seems normal. True?

2. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    They usually last about 5 to 8 years. Of course a defective one can last less. I have seen them work fine for 12 years as well.
    My rule of thumb is to just put new sensors on with each tire change (approx. every 6 years).

3. Scout123

Scout123 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2017
    Well, after a couple of starts, it completely went away and everything’s working fine.

4. TomC9786

TomC9786 Rookie

Mar 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    Tom Courtney
    I’ve had a similar situation with my 2014 458 Spider where I get the TPMS failure light but after I drive it for an hour or so and repeatedly cycle the calibration option the light goes away. I find that I get the light when the car has been sitting for a week or more, rarely do I encounter it when I drive the car regularly.