Wheel vs Column mounted paddles | FerrariChat

Wheel vs Column mounted paddles

Discussion in '360/430' started by saudio, Nov 15, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. saudio

saudio Karting

Jul 22, 2014
    Western Virginia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I have a Mclaren with wheel mounted paddle shifters, and an F430 with a gated 6 speed. The McLaren is the first sports car I've ever owned that did not have a manual transmission. And now with one of each parked here, I have not changed my mind: Unless you are tracking your car regularly, a manual transmission is more fun, more involved, more organic. If you are tracking, there is something to be said for making a perfect manual heel toe downshift, but if you want the fastest lap time possible you can't beat a dual clutch auto. I hope it goes without saying that all of this is IMHO. ;-)

I have to face the fact that if I want the cars I want in the future, I have to forego a stick shift, and I see a 458 or a 488 in that future. I'm driving one next Tuesday to see how bad I want one.

Which leads me, finally, to my point: Having driven a Mclaren for 2 years, how hard will the transition be to column mounted paddles? Intellectually the wheel mounted paddles make sense to me, and I like shifting without moving my hands. But I know Ferrari probably thought it over a bit before deciding to column mount.

Thought?

TheCook likes this.
  2. ScudMarks

ScudMarks Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2018
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Matthew Mauer
    Im sure you will get varying responses, but personally I can't stand the wheel mounted shift paddles such as the Porsche, as I often get awkward upshift positions during turns that require a shift when my right hand is near my crotch. I find it much easier to have the paddles in a consistent position all the time. Just my personal experience, but I think you can make the transition much faster than you think, and you wont look back.

evilruss and ShadowLAP like this.
  3. SCKOMS

SCKOMS F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 21, 2011
    Lake County, IL
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    I have a 430 and I've had an R8 and NSX and currently have an M4 all with paddle shifters. Frankly I HATE the wheel mounted ones. Very difficult to shift when taking turns. The Ferrari shifters are always in the same place. I also installed the extended CF paddles which make it even better.

Sent from my Galaxy

ShadowLAP likes this.
  4. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Wheel mounted works fine for the track, but column mounted is much better for the street when the steering wheel will be turned much more for normal 90 degree corners. Extended paddles help column mounted shifting, too. Not sure I could go back to normal length paddles after 6 or so years of extended paddles.

5. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    I find I get really lazy driving my Mclaren and basically let it shift itself unless I'm hitting a point in the journey that looks like I could have some fun, then it's back to the paddles...

In the gated 360, then Entire journey is an event, Enough said...

Graz likes this.
  6. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    My Merc had steering mounted paddles. I only use them on occasion down to the fact you cannot keep it in 'manual mode'. After a period of none use it goes back to auto and even if in sport.

7. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    It's all down to the steering rack ratio. F430 and 360 have a very high ratio therefore column mounted paddles are a compromise - that's why we see those huge paddles used in an effort to address the problem caused by the 'race inspired' column paddles. It makes me smile :)

458 and newer can get away with it thanks to the (from memory 11.5:1) low ratio newer racks.