The Third Maserati | Page 3 | FerrariChat

The Third Maserati

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Sr.Pininfarina, Aug 29, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. boralogist

boralogist Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2005
    The dimensions may seem compact, but appear to be much larger than the Alfa.
    You can see this from the greater rear overhang, or the part of the bodywork that "protrudes" beyond the wheelbase (and the wheels).

Regards.

2. boralogist

Jun 21, 2005
    Yes. You are partially correct!
    Maserati always built mostly Grand Turismo cars for grown-ups, not boy racers!

Yours is the logic that derided the Bora 50 years ago for not being "sporty" like a Miura!
    And the precise reason as to why I own a Bora and not one of the Countach caricatures!

Regards.

F1tommy likes this.
  3. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    yes, but that's not where the cabin is: that's more room for the engine (a V6 is much bigger than a 4L), not for the passengers

ciao

4. boralogist

Jun 21, 2005
    Your point is well taken.
    PLEASE, however, explain to me the logic of building a 4C PLUS and badging it Maserati, given the overall market & design failure of the 4C for Alfa?

For that to happen we have to accept that Maserati is both actively suicidal & professionally incompetent as an auto manufacturer!

If so---I have nothing else to contribute on this issue!

Regards.

wbaeumer likes this.
  5. Sr.Pininfarina

Sr.Pininfarina Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2006
    Actually, this car is closer to an Alfa 8c than a 4c. Luxury and fast. Alfa 4c isn´t luxury...

I Think that Alfieri is canceled. This car is a 4c and alfieri fusion. Two proyects in one.

This car also BEV and PHEV variant.

6. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    A Bora is a brilliant Gt that you can drive from London through the chunnel to Monaco and still feel good to have an evening out.
    A Miura is an ill conceived toy that wants to take off at high speed, has the rigidity of overcooked linguini and makes you deaf and nuts after two hours at the wheel.
    Yet on a circuit I would take the Bora anytime while Miura boy spins into oblivion and yes I have driven several of both including two very good SV's.
    I am very excited about this upcoming Maser model even though I am surprised by its relatively small -apparent- size.

F1tommy and boralogist like this.
  7. boralogist

Jun 21, 2005
    OK. You have hit the nail on the head!
    Totally AGREED!

Regards.

8. Sr.Pininfarina

Mar 3, 2006
    #58 Sr.Pininfarina, Nov 21, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
    rumors speaks more than 600hp from the V6...

obviously this car seems a carbon Alfa 8c (with rear engine) or carbon CaymanGT4...

the last product Maserati plan, shows that the new sports car have any electrified variant:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2020 all new sportcar

9. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    What in God's name are you talking about? It was too unstable and uncomfortable to be driven anywhere in real life? It's a sports car, not a GT car. Sure, you can't tilt the seat back and stretch your legs out but the ride is not that bad. I put 1500 miles in 1 month in various road trips on mine and couldn't wait to drive it more.

And this Maserati that you're getting all excited about is based on the 4C chassis but I guess you won't drive it once that's revealed because of everything you said above?

Honestly you have no idea what you're talking about.

10. boralogist

Jun 21, 2005
    Hopefully more like a 911 Turbo!

Regards.

11. Sr.Pininfarina

Mar 3, 2006
    Maserati GranTurismo is already a 911... 2+2 and luggage...

The new GranTurismo in 2021 from Turin factory! (confirmed in the official product plan, to look up)

12. boralogist

Jun 21, 2005
    Factually inaccurate, stylistically less than elegant.
    Very convincing!

Regards.

13. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    Oh you got me!

14. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

They're calling this camouflage? Looks a lot more like a modern paint scheme you can find on cars here all the time.
    If they offered it as an option I bet they get swamped with orders from south LA ... ;)

An all electric vehicle as their HALO car? WTF? Have they forgotten that Maserati's have had the trident plastered all over their cars since the companies inception?
    They should leave that stuff to the Musk Ox company. I'm not opposed conceptually to electric assist but with no delightful IC melody ... it's just not a Maserati!

15. boralogist

Jun 21, 2005
    Just a reminder.
    The only thing we actually DO know is what this new engine sounds like:

STILL LOVE IT!

16. boralogist

Jun 21, 2005
    A Work of Art:

Fingers crossed!

17. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Im hoping for a 4c derived car with actual real suspension, ie wishbones and a 600hp TT v6 in a car that weights under 3000lbs.
    In other words youre talking a somewhat practical modern 288/F40.

Im sure many here want another Gt(as thought he world needs yet another), but having a real actual sportscar as a halo product wont hurt maserati it will help sell the rest of the lineup by giving it sprting cred.. Given that Ferrai has defaulted to really expensive fast Gt cars masquerading as sportscars, this masser could be the car many of us are looking for.

Plus lets look at the maserati pr so far.
    Theyre saying this new Me car will showcase the new masser motor, so were looking at an extreme car to give sporting cred to the rest of the masser Gt lineup that will feature versions of this motor.. Using the 4c as a template/base and growing the machine of existing architecture and tooling is a relatively inexpensive way of getting your halo car. You dont have to sell too many halo cars either, its just a backstop to the masser story, just as a real mustang is the backdrop to the mach e, just as a Gt3 is the backstop to eevrything else porche makes.

If its what i hope it is, its the car I've been waiting for from some manufactuerer. Hopefully its not half baked like the 4c.

Ill bet if the 4c tub and tooling didnt exist already we would not be seeing this car.

18. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Any actual sports car will be no more than a halo car and they already did one of those with MC12. Though it really wasn't a practical street car but they did a good job of racing it and raising Maserati's profile in Europe at least. They need a popular car that sells in volumes hence the focus on crossovers like the Levante which is a GD nice car with plenty of sportiness. But I just don't see them selling anything super light with tons of power in large numbers. It would be fun though. They're still trying to survive.

19. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Maybe it will be Italian c8? Practical me sports car that's fast and comfortable. I'm good w that

20. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006
    Maserati is building the new Dino ! well done !!!
    Hope it will be light

absostone and boxerman like this.
  21. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Light is anything under 3500lbs.

22. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    yeah but we want healthily under 3900lbs.
    If a USA spec 4c is 2500 wet and a mac 720 a little above 3000 so the masses should be able to do 2800-2900 lbs
    Here’s hoping

95spiderman likes this.
  23. Sr.Pininfarina

Mar 3, 2006
    In my opinion the Dino is the Mondial (Dino 308GT4 relief), and actually is the Portofino-Roma.

Ferrari have a Dino since much years..

24. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    Maserati “was” the Dino from 1997-2006, under Montezemolo’s vision it was to be the entry level stepping stone to Ferrari offering everyday usability. That changed when Marchionne wanted larger volume from Maserati having Ferrari sell it back to FIAT Auto. Ferrari went on to develop the California from the 4200 replacement.

TBigs and Sr.Pininfarina like this.