Ferrari 360 with F1 stuck in first and won’t start | FerrariChat

Ferrari 360 with F1 stuck in first and won’t start

Discussion in '360/430' started by Marcopolo3382, Nov 21, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Marcopolo3382

Marcopolo3382 Karting

Sep 24, 2017
    Full Name:
    Marco Daniele
    Hello everyone, I experienced the issue of my 360 with an F1 transmission being stuck in gear and not switching to neutral therefore preventing it from starting. I just wanted to help anyone out experiencing this issue. I believe I’ve seen this problem before on here somewhere. According to Ferrari the car is supposed to be put in first before it is shut off. I never used to do this until one day I saw a video explaining that the reason you hear an alarm before taking the key out of the ignition is because the system is warning you that the car is not in gear and has a possibility of rolling if you are on an incline of any type. This made sense to me so I started putting it in first before shutting it off. Well, today I couldn’t get it into neutral to start it. Now I would be baffled if I hadn’t experienced this issue years ago with a Maserati. I was on a slight incline in a drive way and I couldn’t get it to go into neutral and it prevented the car from being started. That day I called three dealerships and they had never heard of the issue so I thought I was stuck and with the closest Maserati and Ferrari dealership or independent almost 400 miles away I was getting frustrated. Some how by accident (or violent fit of rage) I rocked the car back and forth and I guess that relieved some weight or stress on the transmission and it went into neutral! Well today I got in the 360 and it wouldn’t go into neutral so I immediately got out and pushed it back and forth by the frame where the “pillar” would be on a normal car and then jumped in and hit the paddles and it went into neutral. So, I hope this helps anyone experiencing this issue cause I know how frustrating it can be. It seems like a more serious issue in the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

AndreB, Mel Spillman and GTUnit like this.
  2. GTUnit

GTUnit Karting

May 25, 2014
    Socal
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Great info. Thanks for taking the time to share.

Marcopolo3382 likes this.
  3. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Yep, pretty well known issue and solution. Try this, particularly if you are on an incline: Car in N, engage Emergency Brake, let off brake so it sits on the e-brake, foot back on brake and engage 1st, shut off car. With this approach you don't load the drive-line nearly as much and N issues should be a thing of the past for the most part.

Marcopolo3382 and brookliner7 like this.
  4. Marcopolo3382

Marcopolo3382 Karting

Sep 24, 2017
    Full Name:
    Marco Daniele
    That solution had crossed my mind as well. I will be doing that from now on. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

5. Flyingbrick242

Flyingbrick242 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 26, 2017
    Northern AZ.
    Great insight!
    Makes perfect sense with ebrake first, this would be a normal process with a three pedal vehicle which is the same gearbox as a F1 minus the third pedal.
    Thanks to the OP for bringing it to our attention.

Marcopolo3382 likes this.
  6. Kitchdog

Kitchdog Karting

Jan 10, 2019
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    I think sometimes as well I just haven’t had my foot down on the brake pedal hard enough when trying to get it back into neutral!

7. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Some say this but it would only be an issue if you have bird legs. The brake switch isn't that hard to activate, it is a switch activated when the pedal moves. I suspect, they rock the car some when they push on the brake repetitively. That is why it works sometimes and doesn't some times.

8. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Bad brake vacuum check valves are really common, almost routine so it can be hard to push the pedal down far enough to trigger the switch with the motor off.

It is a sign the check valve needs updating and is a real safety issue.

Who services the car? It should have been noticed. It is a cheap fix.

9. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Thank you. I didn't know this so my response was incorrect.