Rear caliper piston | FerrariChat

Rear caliper piston

Discussion in '308/328' started by Chrill, Nov 21, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Chrill

Chrill Karting

May 31, 2018
    Full Name:
    Christian P Galle
    I’m restoring the callipers and wonder if anyone changed the rear calliper pistons. Don’t know how to get out the internals in the pistons, it’s looks like it is some sort of spring holding it down but very hard to reach.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    //Christian

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. jmaienza

jmaienza Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 8, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Chrill and Steve Magnusson like this.
  3. Chrill

Chrill Karting

May 31, 2018
    Full Name:
    Christian P Galle
  4. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    I had too many other things to work on when getting ready for Preservation award and performing a major service.. So, I sent all four of my brakes to Goldline Brakes in Washington state for a complete rebuild. They know ATE brake calipers. Cost about 600.00. They can have them plated also, at extra cost. I had mine walnut shell blasted to maintain the patina.
    https://www.goldlinebrakes.com/
    They came back and all work great. I will be doing the same with my 69 Alfa 1750 Spider Veloce.

5. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    #5 Martin308GTB, Nov 23, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
    Thanks for the video link. Our rear calipers handbrake mechanism is a great example for a most complex design resulting in most poor performance.
    For those folks here, who always blame the Italians and praise german car brands I am glad, tht these calipers were invented by german ATE for Porsche.
    I myself tend to blame Porsche, who wanted ATE design a caliper with the handbrake acting on the discs. A big error. My Alfa from 1972 already has rear discs with an integrated drum handbrake mechanism... like Ferrari introduced in 1985 with the 328.

Best from Germany
    Martin

Chrill and thorn like this.