Ferrari Roma - Marks out of 10 | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Ferrari Roma - Marks out of 10

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Igor Ound, Nov 13, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

1. 10

18.8%
  2. 9

21.3%
  3. 8

23.8%
  4. 7

12.0%
  5. 6

5.9%
  6. 5

5.2%
  7. 4

4.6%
  8. 3

2.2%
  9. 2

2.2%
  10. 1

1.2%
  11. 0

2.8%
  1. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    Perhaps there are a few who like it themselves? :) Personally I just like it, but then I put more on my Mondial, which does not belong to the Mondial Model, but I must admit I would want the GTO :)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #77 davemqv, Nov 17, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
    Totally accepting that it's really a personal taste thing, my issue with the shields is twofold -

1) It's gilding the lily. It's already a Ferrari. The team shields seem like an unnecessary re-emphasizing of the point that one's Ferrari is, in fact, a Ferrari.

2) Shields to me are a racing team thing. To have them on a road car always seems a little "too much". Also, I'm someone who loves Ferrari's for what they are but I dislike the attention that comes with them. Shields seem to draw more of that unwanted attention, and for that reason I think they're a little "showy".

(Bonus gripe) - I think that more often than not shields detract from the lines of the car.

DGPF and boxerman like this.
  3. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    What about shields on 288 gto, f40, f50 and so on? Would anybody actively remove them? I think is no different to red racing paint on road cars

ag512bbi likes this.
  4. R J

R J Formula Junior

May 17, 2017
    UK
    The badges being specified on road cars and their popularity should not come as a surprise. Nor is it worthy of critque. It is also not really controversial whether an owner selects them or prefers not to. The brand clearly made a point of wanting customers to order badges. It was heavily pushing the race car association and wanted customers to feel that racing heritage and share some of it. Dealers also pushed them (obvious reasons). Cars were designed with badges in mind to an extent that some models (the V12s) have a clear place for them that looks a little underdressed without them (or maybe that is just a consequence of the length of that area caused by squeezing a V12 behind the front axle line). The Roma is a little different. The car does not appear underdressed without them. The area behind the front wheels and before the door is shorter. And was not designed with shields in mind (or so I read on F-Chat).

Most people will have very different motivations for wanting or not wanting shields. I would encourage everyone ordering an F-car to specify it in the way that will enhance their enjoyment. For many it is a reward for years of hard work - buying into a brand they grew up watching win races and make thrilling road cars - and will have many dreams and desires being fulfilled when they order their first one. The shields play a role or don’t in that dream. Buy what you love and enjoy it. No need to reduce the desire to own such a car or any of its optional features as being motivated by wanting to be flash or boost ego. For some may be. For many it is just a driven passion to enjoy history, engineering and motoring ... and feel part of something.

randkin, Veloce12, VladimirB and 4 others like this.
  5. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Another perspective on shields.

As a kid the 288GTO was my dream car (still is) so for me, a Ferrari needs shields because the GTO had shields.

Has nothing to do with impressing others. Its simply nostalgia.

jumpinjohn, Caeruleus11 and R J like this.
  6. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    There is nothing wrong with the fender shields, the problem is when EVERYBODY puts them. What´s the point then?

I suppose that Ferrari realized that people was putting shield stickers in older cars from the 70s and 80s, when they were not available, so they said "hey, whatever we do they´re going to put shields so we´re not going to leave that money on the table".

DGPF and Albert-LP like this.
  7. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    I have to disagree. I don't do it for Status Symbol and ego. I do it for pure looks. I think it looks great on the cars.

8. mycatisholdingmehostage

Jan 19, 2018
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Thank god for you calling it out. I read these generalized and self righteous statements so often on this site it makes my brain hurt.

I too have shields on the sides of my cars because I like the racing history behind the brand. I personally don’t care what people think of what I drive and don’t need the validation.

Can’t we all just enjoy what we choose for the love of the cars without keyboard warriors posting absolutes and condescending statements? The negativity just hurts us all in the end.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

R J likes this.
  9. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    irony

boxerman likes this.
  10. curvesurfer

curvesurfer Karting

Feb 26, 2018
    Redwood City, CA
    this. I thought it was an Aston too when I first saw it. Shame.

DGPF likes this.
  11. GINGERBREAD MAN

Apr 16, 2019
    Full Name:
    Earl Gorman
    Agree that all it needs is the V12, lose the back seats for a shelf and a folding ragtop GTC style. Finally give people what they want!

12. Twosherpaz

Twosherpaz Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2014
    Thermal, CA
    Full Name:
    Private
    I see it as a dramatic departure from the Cali/Porto in terms of design. The bucket seats, really smooth sides, front and rear that do resemble perhaps other cars we have seen.

What I am not clear about is simply what niche does this fill for them? I don’t want their spin on it, I want yours. Seriously, what niche? It cannibalizes Portofino sales. I don’t see it adding new clients based on price as we have all added options before.

13. rocketman

rocketman Formula 3

Oct 1, 2009
    NY & Miami
    If they plan on keeping the Porto then I feel the Roma will only be offered as a coupe.
    If they choose to make a spider version then I feel they most likely will drop the Porto.

14. Lightening

Lightening Rookie

Oct 20, 2019
    UK
    Full Name:
    Ken Gee
    At the Rome presentation two cars had shields on the wings- two did not........with the point being made that removing the shield accentuated the lines of the bonnet. Tradition suggests the shields are needed!

We need to remember this is a GT car - not an F8/488/Stradale- so the functional boot space/ fold down rear seats is welcomed and the overall styling is for a different market. The Roma styling ( front mesh type grill apart- I hope can be replaced with an optional traditional grill) is elegant and practical. The interior is fine for me. All this talk about not being a real Ferrari is ridiculous......just feel the quality of build and the elegance of the design..........that is what makes it a Ferrari.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

15. Prancing 12

Prancing 12 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 11, 2004
    The long way home
    I've shared my personal position in one of the other threads, but the gist is this -

I have a growing business and a young family. My time and resources are limited... What I mean by this is that I don't have the time to utilize a 2-seater sports car like an F8 (I wish I did) and I don't yet have the resources to justify buying one to sit in the garage for all but a few days a year (I wish I could). So, if I'm going to spend (even entry level) Ferrari money on a car, I need to really like it and for it to be usable enough to, er, be used. In the current line up, I really don't find the Lusso that appealing, or appealing enough to justify the premium price against other cars... There's no risk of cannibalizing a Portofino sale, as I would never buy one. So, pre-Roma, Ferrari wasn't on my shopping list for probably another 5 years or so, until my lifestyle changed enough to justify the time and financial commitments to make a 2-seater practical (enough).

With the Roma, Ferrari now has a product that immediately vaults them to the top of my near-term list, ahead of the usual suspects like a 911 Turbo or even Bentley GT or DB11.

This is just my 2c, but I can't be the only one that a) wasn't buying anything in the current lineup and b) would now consider a Roma.

Mickyd329, sw88 and Igor Ound like this.
  16. Lightening

Lightening Rookie

Oct 20, 2019
    UK
    Full Name:
    Ken Gee
    Just go and DRIVE a Lusso.........plenty of room for the family- and baggage. Used prices have fallen to ridiculously low levels and despite the sometimes negative comments......it is a wonderful car! I have one and my wife will not let me sell it....ever!!!

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

17. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    No, Marcel: I disagree. This below is, in my opinion, why peole like to have the SF shields on the fenders: a tribute to the Ferrari racing Heritage (as once shields were only for Scuderia Ferrari racing cars).

ciao

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

R J likes this.
  18. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Suggest to peruse thru "Fantastico Ferrari Fever", published 1984 by Richard Pietruska.

Marcel Massini

19. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
  20. therryzsx

therryzsx Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2011
    why V12? because V8 is turbo?

21. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I suppose they would want it over an F8 because it's 125k usd cheaper...

22. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    Cheaper yes,... $125K... unlikely. A $50K delta is more like IMHO...

F8 base price is about 275K$US,... Do you honestly think Roma base price will be 150K?... speculation is about $225K.

Spec'd out Roma for $300K or F8 for $350K...

I'm still not sure why anyone would choose the Roma.

23. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    My attitude towards the fender shields has grown more nuanced over time. This is my first Ferrari, a 456M GTa V12. It's one of only two in North America in Rosso Corsa and tan. It has shields, red calipers, and Daytona seats (The Barchetta wheels were evidently added by the dealer, which was Ferrari of Beverly Hills). I've seen the other Rosso Corsa/tan one, and it has no shields nor does it have Daytona seats. Looks far less spectacular than this one. So, I wanted shields on any V12.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    I feel the same about the 612; I wouldn't want one without the shields, and red/tan is my first choice, but when it comes to the FF/Lusso, I really dislike the PLACEMENT of the shields, so I'd rather forgo them on that car. And for me, the V8's don't really "need" them, so I don't care that my 360 doesn't have them. Finally, any car that didn't come with them from the factory - as an option - shouldn't have them. Nothing worse than fake shields. To add shields to a 360, for example, would require a new front clip that has the relief areas for them. Very expensive to do that, but if done that way, there would be no way to tell they weren't original unless you were to pull the build sheet or look at the window sticker.

The first professional photographer who shot that 456M did a closeup of the shields for the very first shot.

24. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    A well specced F8 quickly goes well beyond 400k. A Roma for 300 is pretty well loaded. I suspect a lot will take it from 260 base to around 280-290.
    Buddyg posted an F8 Tributo spec a few days ago, and I think it was like 412k. That did include a lot of CF and was pretty loaded, but also with no extra campionaro or atelier things such as leather flooring or semil aniline leather etc. It didn't include triple layer paint or CF wheels either. Few will find it possible to spec a nice F8 for less than 390.

Astrid.Didier likes this.
  25. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    Fair enough. Will be interesting to see the sales numbers.