Don't be this guy...Maintenance is important | FerrariChat

Don't be this guy...Maintenance is important

Discussion in '360/430' started by rmarchjr, Jul 5, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rmarchjr

rmarchjr Formula Junior

May 21, 2012
    North east, USA
    #1 rmarchjr, Jul 5, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    So I bought a damaged 360 engine from Ebay, $4k and change. Was told by the seller it had issues - low compression in one cylinder and was smoking. It was exactly as described - good seller. The problem was very easy to find. One exhaust valve had a hole burnt into it. All the valves from that cylinder were loose in the guides, most likely the piston and maybe even the liner are junk, haven't measured them yet. But this damage could not have happened immediately it took some time. At least a few track hours before the engine dropped nearly 1/8 of its power- 41 rwhp. Why did this engine fail?

It had a leaky intake manifold gasket, not sure how the driver could have missed it but there you are. A failed 3 dollar gasket and an oblivious owner smoked a very expensive engine. If it isn't running right please turn it off and call someone. Your car deserves it.

I'm not a mechanic, don't own an indy shop, just an enthusiast.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. rmarchjr

rmarchjr Formula Junior

May 21, 2012
    North east, USA
    #2 rmarchjr, Jul 5, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Robb likes this.
  3. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Engine for $4k??? WOW! Nicely done! :)

It's hard for many sports car owners to understand that the tolerances in the Ferrari engine are so tight as it is tuned to the limit for performance, that even a small leak will disrupt the mixture and toast an engine. With a Kia or a Porsche, less common. Much less common as they de-tune it for longevity to a greater extent.

4. Drestless

Drestless Formula 3

Oct 1, 2014
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Jam
    How do we know if the intake manifold gasket is leaking? Does this typically throw a CEL code?

Thanks

5. rugby

rugby Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2015
    Atlanta
    I just had the intake manifold gaskets replaced on both sides. As you say, it's a few bucks for the gaskets... $1,200 for labor.

sparetireless likes this.
  6. rugby

rugby Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2015
    Atlanta
    Mine were diagnosed by the coating of oil on the outside of the spark plug bodies.

7. Drestless

Drestless Formula 3

Oct 1, 2014
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Jam
    Seems like it cannot be easily diagnosed by feeling the car. It has to be purposely checked on your case.

Did it throw a Check Engine Light? Thank you.

8. rmarchjr

rmarchjr Formula Junior

May 21, 2012
    North east, USA

This was a large leak, the car will throw a code and show misfires sometimes at an idle, always at higher engine speed and load. This motor was running very lean and misfiring every time this cylinder fired. There would be definite loss of power and sometimes hard starting, stumbles on wide open throttle. Definite signs that something is not right. I would even cut him some slack if it was in a challenge car as they don't have CK EN light, but it should have been caught long before this happened.

rugby - I do the work myself, usually, so yes to me a few bucks for gaskets and goop, $1200 seems a bit high but if its done right and you don't need to replace a motor, money well spent and a good reason to keep the day job.

9. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Amazing. If the seller track the car, the design of the 360 oil disserator definitely didn't help him any.

10. rugby

rugby Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2015
    Atlanta
    Sorry for the confusion, I just checked my records and it was the cam cover gaskets that had a leak and were replaced, not the intake manifold.

11. 67bmer

67bmer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 28, 2015
    MD

at a track at full throttle, the intake gasket is almost pointless. its not doing anything. there is very little pressure differential between intake manifold and ambient. it's not until you release the throttle that the intake gasket is demanded to seal and keep outside air from entering. and at that point the injectors are barely pushing any fuel in.

I suspect it was 99.9% the fault of excessively worn valve guides that prevented a good seal allowing hot gas to escape past the valve edge causing it to over heat and deteriorate.

sparetireless likes this.
  12. rmarchjr

rmarchjr Formula Junior

May 21, 2012
    North east, USA
    could be, the guides are shot, but is it the chicken or the egg?

The air leak could have overheated cylinder then wore the valve guides. Or just the worn guides and bad valve seating could have done the damage to the valve. But no other cylinder had this issue except the one where the intake gasket showed signs of leaking.

I disagree with your track cars gasket statement. At the end of every straight the throttle closes at high rpm, then the whole time reappling the throttle (until wide open)would have that cylinder running lean as well as any "neutral throttle" cornering. These engines are high strung, I don't think it would take much more then a few hours running on track to cause these issues. Just my opinion.

I have a brand new Serdi head machine on its way- same one used by F1 and Auto manufacturers for engine development. I intended to put this engine back into spec and beat it up on track. I will post up the repair process for anyone interested.

carguyjohn350 likes this.
  13. BladeMD

BladeMD Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 20, 2015
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Hannibal

Yes please! That would be a subscribed thread for me.

14. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Intake manifolds on Ferraris use very light torque values and tend to loosen easily. I have my techs torque the intake manifold bolts at every annual.

Sunbeam430 likes this.
  15. Speed seeker Don

Feb 19, 2018
    Full Name:
    Donald Roskos
    What is the torque spec for the intake maniforl for a 2004 360?

16. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    I replaced my heat exchanger/intake manifold gaskets last year and that was the ONLY component that did not have published torque values in the WSM. I will say that they only seems like they were not very tight when I removed them originally, like maybe 15 ft lbs.

17. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #17 tazandjan, Nov 21, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
    Near as I can make out, 9.8 nm. One of the pros can chime in if that is off.

18. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Just looked in the F430 WSM and it shows 10 nm, so close enough.

19. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Long Beach, CA & Alexandria,Egypt.
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    That engine looks like my neighbors engine with the welded debris on it, his manifolds went bad and he didn't catch it in time, now his engine is being rebuilt..that led me to taking my car in to get checked out and mine were also starting to crack thank God i caught it before damage.

20. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I see a lot of these burnt valves on 355 which is famous for its valve guide issues.

21. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    The first pic shows the damaged cylinder and above that a smidgen of the adjacent cylinder. Note the difference in appearance. Very wet
    / dirty vs clean. I don’t think a lean running cylinder looks wet and dirty.

The valve damage reminds me of a deposit or debris getting stuck under the valve seat.

22. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    I think this is more than likely the case with this engine...since the breakdown of the precat is a common issue, there was definitely some type of FOD in there. I can't picture just a leaky cam seal or intake gasket causing a catastrophic failure like that.

jcurry likes this.
  23. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #23 Rifledriver, Nov 23, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
    Having repaired several and being involved in law suits over them the cat debris that is carried by reversion all the way back to the induction system is at best very fine particles that required lab tests to determine their origin. It is very capable of damaging cylinder walls and pistons due to abrasion but never valve damage. It can produce a sand blasted effect to the head and piston. Probably not have that build up because of that. I have seen a lot of valves in all nature of engines burn in exactly that way with no FOD issues.

Need4Spd and sparetireless like this.
  24. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #24 Rifledriver, Nov 23, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
    Generally yes. O2 sensor out of range or the fuel trim out of range. It is only allowed to adjust a few percent before deciding it is above normal parameters. In my experience that will happen before missing is detected. How many cars do you see driving down the road at night with their instrument panel looking like a Christmas tree with all the colored lights lit? Lots of people ignore them hoping they will just go away or the it is some conspiracy to make you go spend money at the dealer.

Need4Spd likes this.
  25. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Have you ever seen any type of engine burn in that way due to FOD issues?