F355 Towing Eye, alternatives? | FerrariChat

F355 Towing Eye, alternatives?

Discussion in '308/328' started by Skiday, Nov 20, 2019.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Skiday

Skiday Karting

Feb 22, 2016
    Isle of Wight, UK
    Full Name:
    Andrew Day
    Hi guys.

The towing eye for my F355 is missing so I was wondering, rather than go to Ferrari and having my trousers taken down, is there a similar towing eye to the same spec from another, more ordinary and reasonably priced, munufacturer? Fiat perhaps? As there has never been one in my car I don't know the thread size, the length or anything. Has anyone found an alternative please?
    Thanks
    Andrew

2. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Really, how much can a big bolt cost? $75?

3. Skiday

Skiday Karting

Feb 22, 2016
    Isle of Wight, UK
    Full Name:
    Andrew Day
    Yes, seriously. In the UK it's £75 + £15 tax + p&p and I have every reason to beleive it could well be identical to a Fiat 500 item which I can buy for £12 inc tax and post from ebay. So if you guys want to throw away $100 for simply not finding out if this is a generic Fiat group item with a Ferrari sticker on it (it might not even have that) then bully for you, but not me! I have now found out it is M16 X 2.0 pitch and am researching Fiat items. Interestingly Fiat 500 and Jeep Renagade tow eye hooks are identical so these things are just part of the Fiat/Chrysler parts bin. That Ferrari rack up the price of a simple item like this is why my car is for sale.

4. Skiday

Skiday Karting

Feb 22, 2016
    Isle of Wight, UK
    Full Name:
    Andrew Day
    OK, I have found out that the part for sale at £75 is the "Challange" version which is the only version that was listed, so I may have 'gone off on one' there, but still the standard item is over £32, so I'm still going to look for an alternative as, even if Ferrari only double their prices over Fiat for the same thing, then I'm still going to make that saving. As an example of brand pricing; my '68 Aston Martin DBS has the sidelights of a Ford Cortina. I found seals for that light unit on ebay and there were listings from the same seller for 'Ford Cortina sidelight seals' and 'Aston Martin DBS sidelight seals' for a higher price. I phoned him up to ask if there was a difference and he told me the difference was one had 'Aston Martin' written on the bag! I bought the Ford ones. I am not a rich man, my cars make sure of that, so I try to fight back every chance I get.