Magnum's First Ferrari Revisited - Interesting | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Magnum's First Ferrari Revisited - Interesting

Discussion in '308/328' started by Dr Tommy Cosgrove, Jun 14, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Donfjones

Donfjones Rookie

Mar 21, 2014
    Kent, Washington
    Full Name:
    Don
    If I remember correctly, Tom Selleck gave Larry, Roger and John Ferraris when the series ended. Don't know if they were 308s

308DJ

2. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    He actually gave them Porsche 928's. Selleck really liked those cars.

3. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    rob and Thomas Magnum like this.
  4. 83911SCDrew

83911SCDrew Karting

Oct 21, 2018
    Bernardsville
    Full Name:
    Andrew K
    I finally got around watching that episode that supposedly has a 328 used for an interior shot. It’s called find me a rainbow and it’s towards the end of season six. It originally aired in 1986.

The scene in question is towards the middle the episode when they are doing a stake out. what is really interesting is that you can clearly see that the door panels are from a 308 but when they cut to a lap shot to show the blanket on the passengers lap, you can clearly see the more modern controls for the HVAC of the 328. I went back and watched this several times and there is no doubt they are the 328 controls in the car.

I have two theories about this. Perhaps they shot that scene as usual in one of their 308s, but somehow forgot to include that cutaway where the woman looks down at the blanket in her lap. The blanket is an integral part of the episode because it includes the boys name on it. If they had to go back and shoot the scene later, maybe they did it off set. I would think in mid 1986 they might have been able to only find a current model 328. The other less likely answer would be that they somehow put the new controls in one of their set cars for some reason. I’m not even sure that is possible. It’s pretty clear though that most of that scene is shot in the inside of a 308 with only that one cut away from the 328.

5. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    ...repeating myself, but it must be possible as we know of a black QV, chassis #56483, with a full 328 interior (red). The car is well documented, has been for sale for ages, first in the Netherlands, then later in France, I suppose because no-one knows if this is factory made or not.

Rgds

83911SCDrew likes this.
  6. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Still for sale here, if some of you would like to have a look at that strange animal...
    https://www.leboncoin.fr/voitures/1342058776.htm/

Rgds

Thomas Magnum likes this.
  7. 83911SCDrew

83911SCDrew Karting

Oct 21, 2018
    Bernardsville
    Full Name:
    Andrew K
    That is a really cool car! If you look at the door panels in that car, however, that is a regular 328 interior. The car on the Magnum episode clearly has 308 interior door stitching.

8. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Actually, I would believe the opposite in late 1985 (air date 13 Mar 86) when that show was most likely shot. 328's would have been few and far between at that time.

9. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    That's a real odd-ball car!

308 GTS QV body, 328 interior, 308 column switches, 328 instruments, 328 handbrake (parking brake) location, and 2 valve door mirrors!

(The passenger side headlight pod is sat too low also)

10. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    What happens a lot on t.v. and movies is they end up using a car that belongs to somebody in production or pretty much anyone willing to let their car be used. Maybe they had to shoot the scene after and somebody had a 328 there that they made available.

11. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    You guys get out much? :)

83911SCDrew likes this.
  12. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    I had to go out to get my Magnum dvd's.

13. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    I asked for mine as a joint Christmas/Birthday present - Saved me from having to leave the house!:D

I did find my Miami Vice box set for sale at half price on a rare venture out of the house, so I bought it because 1) I loved Miami Vice "back in the day" (not quite as much as I loved Magnum p.i, but it was close!), and I loved the 80's, 2) it was a half price bargain, and 3) No channel in the UK ever showed re-runs of Miami Vice, so I figured it was my only chance to see the series again.

Two weeks after buying the box set, "Forces TV" in the UK started to show the series! - Typical! :rolleyes: :D

Still, at least I can get a fix of Magnum or Miami Vice whenever I want to now :cool:

14. Thomas Magnum

Thomas Magnum F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2013
    Full Name:
    Mark