599 TPMS problem | FerrariChat

599 TPMS problem

Discussion in '612/599' started by Ricambio, Nov 22, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ricambio

Ricambio Karting

Dec 30, 2016
    Hi there,

trying to figure out what can be the problem with the TPMS, although, the yellow TPMS symbol on the cluster (right side) doesn't blink or stay ON, in the TFT display I can see in MODE selection there's no pressure in tire values at all, and will stay an alert (exclamation symbol) with a phrase (SYSTEM NOT PROGRAMMED) though, not yellow or red symbol of TPMS in the TFT display.

Sure enough I have added and checked tire pressures as per manual and hold the TPMS button on the roof until I get the green symbol in the TFT display of Calibration Activaed (or something like that) and took the car several times for a spin and see if the system will learn the pressure but won't do it.

Checked with my Autel scanner, and no DTC recorded. I even went to check the ID sensor per wheel and wrote them into the system, it shows each wheel sensor with the correct ID and even the scanner shows the real tire pressure each wheel has, yet the TFT won't display it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

2. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    How far did you drive the car in TPMS calibration mode? It will typically take 15-20 miles to get the system to calibrate. If it still doesn't calibrate, then the TPMS ECU is probably defective and will need to be replaced. They go bad fairly often.

Brian Brown
    San Francisco Motors

3. Ricambio

Ricambio Karting

Dec 30, 2016
    Sorry for the late reply. Maybe 2 miles or so at most (city driven) . I told the owner, as per suggestion here, that the car will need to be driven 15-20 miles after activation of the CALIBRATION with the button and see how it goes. Same was for another 599 (HGTE) that left the shop after some fixes we did and small details of the paint we did. We will see if hitting the highway does the trick for both owners...I will report back when I get results.

Thanks

4. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    As Brian says, sometimes I had to drive for 3/4 of an hour after hitting the reset button.

Jeremy58jeremy likes this.
  5. Jeremy58jeremy

Jeremy58jeremy Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 30, 2010
    Palmer, Alaska
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Grimes
    This has been my experience as well with my car. I've had it take as long as 45 minutes to an hour.

6. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    It sometimes took me an hour with my 599 to get it to calibrate- often it was faster. With my GTC4 Lusso just switched to snow tires, it took me 45 minutes, I was on the phone with my service advisor about to see about bringing the car in, and then voila! The tire screen came up!

Another possibility is the TPMS batteries may be gone?

Ricambio likes this.
  7. Ricambio

Ricambio Karting

Dec 30, 2016
    So here is a small update and not good one. I instructed the owner prior to hit the highway, stop the car, initialize the calibration preocess until pop up the green symbol in the display and start rolling and so he did it. He did a 1 hour avergae trip non stop for about 62 miles of distance on the highway, it never calibrated itself.

Still the message not programmed is present and no tire pressures on the 4 corners are present in the display (no TPMS yellow light is ON), though, my scanner does monitor and display the actual pressures of the 4 corners as I did the procedure to write them and "program" the sensors successfully as I took the numbers of each sensor.

Any clue what else can we do ?

Thanks

8. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    SWAG .. dashboard circuit board .. does your scanner have the ability to run through the displays etc

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

9. Ricambio

Ricambio Karting

Dec 30, 2016
    I would need to check that, however, there's any specific to look for in the dash (cluster) system if my scanner can do that?

I just got in my shop a new (newest tool) from MOPAR ( I think is a SnapOn) that read, calibrate-program TPMS in the newer FCA products but it does as well support other brands from the non FCA group, including Ferrari etc. I could give a shot to that, but most likely it won't tell or fix the cluster to display the pressure, just confirm if the sensors are OK or not.

10. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Let me clarify my thoughts ..you said that you were able to see pressure and such from your scanner ..unless I miss understood you... The only way the info can get from the Tpms to the odb connector is the tpms ECU and the BUS . and the signal is also carried to the dashboard ... If your scanner can get info from odb connector then dashboard should as well

If you get readings only from the tires using a tpms freq reader and not from a scanner I would then said Tpms ecu

Again this is just theory

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

11. Ricambio

Ricambio Karting

Dec 30, 2016

So i got the car back from the owner to keep investigating th eissue and try to erase that warning in the display of SYSTEM NOT PROGRAMMED. Yet, I trie dmy newest MOPAR TPMS device that also scan and program the IDs of the sensors in ferrari and many other brands out of FCA brand and all sensors were showing good signal, pressure, temperatrure, etc etc.

But still I still was getting that warning message in the display and the TPMS calibration couldn't be carried successfully. The system had no DTC stored and the live data was showing the pressure, temperature , bytes etc etc of each sensor.

Then I went in the body control ECU and there was NO DTC stored as well, after having deep look into the different functions and menus I found these (pictured below) function and decided to carry the routine of the Prox aligment. It asked me few thing that must be secured yada yada....and turn off the IGN for 10 second, hit Ok and then turn ON the IGN and so I did. DONE! The system not programmed message was gone! But soon showed up the SERVICE message, I had to reset it again with hot function of the scanner.

Basically what that special function did , is to recognize all the modules of the car and "align" them or refresh them and done.

Then took the Alonso Edition for a spin , not before I pushed the TPMS button calibration first and within 5 minutes or less, the pressure and temperature of the tires were displayed in the screen!

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. ewein

ewein Rookie

May 29, 2022
    China
    Full Name:
    ewein zhang
    thx for posting this. Ive had same problem past three days. and hopefully this will solve mine too. btw. how did you reset the service message?