car design thread | Page 373 | FerrariChat

car design thread

Discussion in 'Creative Arts' started by jm2, Oct 19, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Seriously disagree. The cost is not the aesthetics it is instead in the mass production tooling. Tooling for ugly or simple is not materially different than for good looking.

anunakki and jm2 like this.
  2. lambchop

lambchop Karting

Apr 29, 2005
    Stainless steel door stop. Horrid.

Here's a hint, if you design a car and I can draw it, you've not designed a car.

ross, energy88 and jm2 like this.
  3. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    nah, they used lumber.....

zygomatic likes this.
  4. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    I never believed the Aztec WAS the ugliest car ever.........but it was up there...

5. 330 4HL

330 4HL Formula 3

May 12, 2005
    Vancouver
    Full Name:
    Rick Bradner
  6. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    I was wondering the same thing. What shark has a nose like that? Apparently one I haven't seen.

7. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    330 4HL likes this.
  8. 330 4HL

330 4HL Formula 3

May 12, 2005
    Vancouver
    Full Name:
    Rick Bradner
    I can't wait to hear what the current Tesla community thinks of this. Definitely outside the current Tesla design language...

9. Qvb

Qvb F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2003
    Newport Beach Ca.
    Full Name:
    John Dixon
    There seems to be so many reasons that this Cybertruck is a joke, but given that there are stock implications etc, they couldn't keep a joke going this long without legal implications. But I can't believe it is real. It makes no sense.

ingegnere and jm2 like this.
  10. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    He Elon made a huge splash.
    He got every bodies attention.
    He proved he isn’t a follower.
    He spit on the table with a polarizing design.
    He proved he will not follow but rather make waves and lead.
    I don’t don’t have to agree with him, but I can’t ignore him.
    Etc.

G. Pepper likes this.
  11. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    #9311 Igor Ound, Nov 22, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
    I think for this thing it was all about maximising profits and ease of assembly/production. No way they meant it to make it look like that from the start. Design had as much consideration as in the making of a modern fridge imo.

Attached Files:

12. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #9312 noone1, Nov 23, 2019
    So the tooling for an unpainted, geometric stainless steel truck is not any different than an F150? From what I've been reading, the tooling for this will be materially cheaper and easier, and likely be easier to assemble.

Given what you know about the cost of EVs and battery packs, the planned pricing means that either A) this thing is expected to be massively cheaper to produce or B) they expect huge improvements in battery costs.

It's also possible that Tesla is just showing the world how cheap a truck "could be" and that Ford and GM are gauging the hell out of people with their pricey Rams and F150s.

*IF*, and it's a big if, people end up warming up to the design of the Tesla, it would cause serious problems from GM and Ford since the specs on the Cybertruck are way way better than the ICE trucks. The only major design issue I see is the fairing on the truck bed. Those look annoying for people who actually work with their truck.

The reality is that truck design is really form over function. That could change. Trucks are an ideal vehicle for EV platforms -- low CoG, significantly more efficient, great toque for towing etc.

13. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Oh, and it's important to note that tastes can in fact change. In 2020, pretty much every car from the 1980s, 1990s and even early 2000s is pretty ugly looking.

The best selling car in the US in 1995 was this. Even if you had a zero mile, straight from the factory pristine one today, with all the latest and greatest tech, you'd still say it's ugly and wouldn't want one. So if there was a time when this was a best selling car, who is to say the Cybertruck can't be well-received? Cybertruck looks 10x better than this ****box.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    #9314 F1tommy, Nov 23, 2019
    Not new but what do you think of these Zagato Aston 's? The pink one is in Tokyo Japan.

That Taurus is starting to look pretty good :) Lift the front end up about 2 feet and add huge headlights and a huge grill and you have a modern auto(also would have to lift 1 foot higher and convert to a SUV). The Taurus may be boring and bland but its a lot better than a lot of the garbage we see coming out today.

Or you could go the Tesla route and have a high school machine shop class design and build it for you :)

15. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Hideous

16. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    What--no curves? I hope the producion versions is more reasonable--this one is too far out in the folded piece of paper school

17. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    i think it must be hard for designers these days.
    you have the pedestrian rules, and all of the other DOT and EPA bs.
    if you play it somewhat safe you get accused of just being boring, or borrowing from other designs.
    and if you go too far out there, your design is then divisive.

i dont know how pininfarina did it over the years and so many times, but they always seemed to push the boundaries, but were often setting a new trend.

jm2 likes this.
  18. Qvb

Qvb F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2003
    Newport Beach Ca.
    Full Name:
    John Dixon
    The issue isn't whether people like the way it looks. The issue is that the vehicle was not designed. It's fine (not fine) that they didn't waste any time on how it looks. But the fact that it does not perform the basic functions of the vehicle that it is supposed to be is ridiculous. Not to mention the huge missed opportunity to create something innovative in a category that is ripe to be reimagined.

jm2 likes this.
  19. VigorousZX

VigorousZX Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2011
  20. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Though obviously inspired by Giugiaro's Boomerang and DeLorean (especially as regards the stainless cladding) I'm still impressed they actually designed a vehicle using only straight lines.

The problem with using straight lines, especially in view of their claims of having good aero for longer range, is that they've basically designed a rolling vortex generator with a ramp of a windshield just forward of a flow-separating hard kink at the roof and a hugely augmented frontal area. Just check out the space over the driver's head here:
    I still think this is nothing more than a "concept" vehicle as I can't believe they'll build this.

NeuroBeaker and Qvb like this.
  21. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
  22. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
  23. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    I'm not sure if tacky or clever. Either way, it only works for the LHS.

Boomhauer likes this.
  24. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    I hope this isn’t too tangential but I thought watching Peter Brock share his VW bus was pretty entertaining

Tenney and Boomhauer like this.