Best options for 812 exhaust (rear boxes)? | FerrariChat

Best options for 812 exhaust (rear boxes)?

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by KarlA69, Nov 16, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    Hi guys, just a quick poll on what you think the best after market options are for the 812 SF exhaust? I would likely do the rear boxes and X pipe only (leave cats stock). Any recommendations for the rear boxes? I am leaning towards Novitec but open to other ideas. Do the Novitec ones change mainly the pitch, volume, etc? A very noticeable difference?

The X pipe is less sensitive to brand, I guess... it is just a pipe after all!

Thanks

Karl

2. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    I have a single data point to add to your consideration: Klein
    I heard an 812 with the quietest version of a Klein exhaust and the sound alone was enough to make me consider making the same spontaneous decision you just made.

Others with more wisdom will doubtless chime in.
    if possible, try to get some before/after videos for sound comparison (with the usual caveats about video quality etc)

Congrats on your purchase!

3. Hex

Hex Karting

May 1, 2009
    Having just purchased an 812, this is something I am interested in as well. I searched for previous threads on this subject but couldn't find any. I hope some fellow 812 owners chime in.

4. j34

j34 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 13, 2019
    USA
    Full Name:
    J
    I went with Capristo exhaust for my 812. I really like it as it improves upon the beautiful stock sound of the 812 and doesn’t “change” the sound dramatically it heightens it.

5. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Capristo is nice and of superb quality. Novi is on the same level, but more pricey. What you like in terms of sound, is subjective. I think the Capristo X pipe is a nice addition no matter which back box one chooses. It does not really do much for loudness, but it changes the sound signature to a less factory style sound. I don't care much for IPE. Have seen both cracked tubes and fitment issues. No thanks.

Tubi usually do things well, but I have not heard their 812 stuff, and I have no experience with Kline. Again, consider the Capristo X pipe with these as well.

Bundy likes this.
  6. Pazzo009

Pazzo009 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2014
    Northern Atlanta Area
    Full Name:
    Marc C
    I have a F12 and through my research a lot of people said that the mufflers are pretty free flowing from the factory and you won't get too much sound benefit by paying thousands for aftermarket mufflers. I presume this could applicable to the 812.

So I ended up going with Kline 200 cell sport cats ( No check engine light or tune required) and Capristo X-pipe with valve controller.

I couldn't be happier. The car sounds amazing and it's not intrusive in the cabin. No drone either. However when you hammer it, you hear all the magnificence of the V12 symphony. When cruising, you have a sweet purr. I have never even had to close my valves due to excessive noise.

Later on I did a tune from Vivid Racing and I had them add some pops and burbles for the decels.... I'm so in love.

Netpark, Dane100, ewright and 2 others like this.
  7. therryzsx

therryzsx Formula 3

Dec 2, 2011
  8. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    Thanks all for your input. After further research I have ordered the Novitec rear boxes + Capristo X pipe and remote. Will post a video and my impressions when fitted. The remote should be very useful - can open the valves and get great sound all the time, rather than needing to hammer it to high revs...

I will consider swapping the cats for 100 or 200 cells at a later date. Expensive though and I'm not sure necessary. I expect the mods I'm doing initially will be loud enough, especially when near top end of the range...

Bundy likes this.
  9. Pazzo009

Pazzo009 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2014
    Northern Atlanta Area
    Full Name:
    Marc C
    Doing the cats is by far the best exhaust option for sound and power gain. The rear boxes don't add any power and maybe a slight sound change.

If you do 100 cell, you will likely require a tune, 200 cell you might need bung extensions to keep the CEL off, which is minor. The 200 cell cats is the best thing you can do for sound and power. I couldn't be happier.

If you'd like, go on my instagram (Pazzo009) and there are clips from a few weeks ago of sound.

Good luck.

10. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    Thanks for your comment. Can I ask, is your advice based on the F12?

I’ve heard that the 812 is louder (stock standard) so perhaps with just the rear boxes and x pipe it will be loud enough...? These things are of course subjective in terms of loud enough :)

11. Pazzo009

Pazzo009 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2014
    Northern Atlanta Area
    Full Name:
    Marc C
    Yes it is based on the F12.

The 812 has a .2 larger displacement so I suppose that could make a difference in sound, but I can't see it being much. Aside from that, the recipe should be the same. Cats restrict air flow and sound, and that's your best benefit. The mufflers, were free flowing on the F12, so I can't see Ferrari changing that on the 812.

The X-pipe essentially made no difference on my F12. I only heard a slight change in tone at higher RPMs.

So in summary, the mufflers will offer no power gain. If the manufacturer claims that, I'd be skeptical. The cats definitely offer sound and power...but not obnoxious. It's just right IMO

nguyennhatquang likes this.
  12. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    What makes a difference between the F12 sound and 812 sound has little to do with displacement. You would never be able to tell the difference by that alone. However, the slightly higher compression makes a difference, and so does the more aggressive cam profile. But I think the main difference is due to different intakes. As I have touched upon elsewhere a few days ago, a lot of this sound is intake sound. This might sound odd in terms of how the exhaust sound, but the intake sound still travels through the exhaust, so the sound of the exhaust is also a by-product of what the intake does. Even though the F12 and 812 has very similar cats, resonators and back boxes, they sound quite different, just like the FF vs. Lusso, and the 812 is louder, just like the Lusso is louder than the FF. This is mainly down to the intake resonance and flow. I had a bit of a first for me a few months back, which was a completely straight piped F12 next to a completely straight piped 812. Both had full Novi exhaust with cat deletes and X pipes etc. the works. They were both loud, but yet the 812 was on another level. I'm all for a loud exhaust and have done some pretty weird things, but I will be honest and say that driving an uncorked 812 would make me feel like an entitled *******. That's too much, and while I normally say, "share the joy", this is a situation where I do understand why people might get properly upset. It was loud. and I mean getting into the 138-140 db range loud @ 2 meters or so. I did not have a DB meter with me, but I've done a lot of SPL measuring in my time for concert events and tours etc. so I have a pretty good idea about how it feels once you get into that db range. This was up there, and you can't expect others and your neighbours to be okay with that. in other words - not cool.

I think the 200 cell cats is a great option along with an X pipe and valved back boxes etc. It will make it very loud, and the sound signature will be close to that of a straight piped car, but not so that you become one of those idiots on youtube, revving an Aventador in front of a nightclub just for attention.

George Vosburgh, Bundy and Pazzo009 like this.
  13. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I think you'll be quite happy with that. You can always add cats if more is needed. Looking forward to seeing your videos.

KarlA69 likes this.
  14. Pazzo009

Pazzo009 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2014
    Northern Atlanta Area
    Full Name:
    Marc C
    Well put and makes a lot of sense... Thanks for explaining

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  15. Hex

Hex Karting

May 1, 2009
    So I went with Klein. I did a cat back with x pipe, straight pipes and boxes: all in inconel. It will take five weeks to receive the system and I’ll report back when installed. I’m very excited and I want to give a big shout out to James at Vivid. He is a consumate professional and his service is second to none. Vivids Black Friday prices made this purchase quite attractive.

16. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Could you explain please? You say it's a cat-back system, but also straight piped. A straight piked system is a system with no cats, no resonators, and either switchable mufflers with no restrictions in the open mkde, or no mufflers at all.

Pazzo009 likes this.
  17. Hex

Hex Karting

May 1, 2009
    Sure. In the 812, the x pipe starts after the cats, then comes the straight pipes that link the x pipe with the muffler boxes. With some system you just get an x pipe and the exhaust boxes and you use the oem straight pipes to link the two, but with Klein, they provide their own straight pipe with the x pipe and exhaust boxes.

18. Hex

Hex Karting

May 1, 2009
    By the way, i misspelled the manufacturer. It's Kline.

19. Carlos@TAG

Carlos@TAG Karting

Apr 12, 2017
    Both Novitec and Capristo are very solid choices! We are huge fans of both and would not hesitate to install either on any 812. That being said, we opted for the Novitec on our N-Largo 812. This car has the Novitec Valved Exhaust with the Novitec X-Pipe and Novitec Switchtronic to open and close the valves. We also decided it was best to retain the stock cats as Novitec Cat Replacement Pipes are for clients who want max volume.

I'd love to hear some feedback on the system!

20. j34

j34 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 13, 2019
    USA
    Full Name:
    J
    I have Capristo valves exhaust on my 812 and just had the Capristo X-pipe installed. Now the car sounds really quiet- the opposite of what we expected. Vacuum lines are pulled so it’s not the valves. Anyone have anything like this happen before?

21. Carlos@TAG

Carlos@TAG Karting

Apr 12, 2017
    May be a silly question but were the valves open when the lines were disconnected? Also why not use the Capristo Valve Control as opposed to disconnecting the lines.

Only thing I can think of would be valves being permanently closed.

22. montpellier

montpellier Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2009
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Cannot comment on their 812 application , but my Novitec rear boxes on the Lusso are insane on cold start . It makes me laugh every time , though my neighbours don’t find it so amusing . I struggle to hear much difference between valve closed and open though , it’s there but not night and day when warm . Someone needs a remote control to instigate a cold start ! Cannot wait to hear your 812 solution , as standard the 812 is ok , little muted . Nothing like the TDF . So lead the way bro

23. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    As an update to my post above, I picked up my 812 this morning after having Novitec back box and Capristo X pipe fitted. Cold start is loud but not offensive. Driving with the valves open has a nice linear rise in sound (unlike standard set up with valves opening suddenly). Sound was higher pitched than standard. Overall, I have to say though I wasn't that impressed. It was not noticeably louder (from the driving seat...didn't hear it drive by).

Sooo.... I took it straight back to the garage and they are putting on 100 cell Novitec sports cats! They had them in stock anyway. Pretty sure that will give me the volume uplift I seek. Slightly worried about the cold start.... but cross that bridge when I come to it.

Anyway, hope my experience is useful for anyone considering the same. Comments welcomed!

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  24. j34

j34 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 13, 2019
    USA
    Full Name:
    J
    We were thinking the same but the valves are definitely open. The sound difference is actually bigger than the difference between valves open and closed. I think it must just be the nature of the X pipe causing the sound to bounce around instead of go direct like the H pipes. I’m leaning towards ordering Kline 200 cell cats and when they install those remove the X pipe. I’ll drive with the X pipe until the cats come in and see if I’m sure I want to get rid of the X pipe. Gut tells me if you want higher pitch and lower volume X pipe is good. People seem to be saying it mostly helps with low end “drone” but I don’t feel like I have any meaningful drone and it sounds just about perfect with Capristo valved exhaust without the X pipe. Do you guys think the sport cats are worth doing / will it maintain the deeper low end sound and the high pitch high end sound? The X pipe seems to have ruined the low end sound and reduced overall volume considerably.

25. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    With 100 cell cats I recommend you consider the NR software to address the less back pressure as well as possible CEL...