Drove the F8 today and placed my order! | Page 7 | FerrariChat

Drove the F8 today and placed my order!

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by buddyg, Nov 8, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    The online one is not nearly as detailed. For instance you can’t pick and choose Exterior or interior pieces of carbon fiber. It’s basically one selection for all the carbon fiber on the outside or the inside.

2. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Can you please explain ? As I have a 488 GTB and haven't reved it that high . What happens differently on the 488 GTB compared to the F8 ?

3. jim g

jim g Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2003
    Waverly, Pa.
    Full Name:
    Jim Gress
    The 488 doesn't rev all the way to the 8000 RPM redline, it cuts off at around 7600, the F8 revs all the way to 8000. The 488 is the only car I ever had that didn't rev to its redline.

4. VHlambo580

VHlambo580 Karting

Dec 4, 2017
    All - My dealer just received a demo F8 and I drove it today. Keep in mind, I have already ordered one which will be coming in April. Here are my reactions:

1). Wholly Sh*t it is fast! I don’t mean like “wow that was fast”, I mean peg you to the seat scary fast. My Son said he literally could not move off the seat it was so fast. I personally have never experienced a car with that much constant pull. And that was with snow tires on the car - crazy.

2). The sound was great. On the inside the car was noticeably louder than a 488. On the outside it sounded similar to a 488 when revs were high

3). Visibility from the front was awesome. Looking through the rear was another story. The lexicon back looks amazing but harder to see out of

4). The style was just stunning. No question, hands down the best looking Ferrari I personally have ever seen (IMO). It was beautiful. I have had a 911, Lamborghini H, and now a Portofino - but this was something else entirely. My Son who loves Lamborghinis and almost cried when I traded it for the Porto, saw the F8 and said it was the best looking car he has ever seen. All, the car is a real looker.

5). The inside was pleasant. It was not a wow factor, but it was comfortable, but definitely similar to the 488. Loved the steering wheel, very tight. The rest was nice. Personally my Porto has a nicer feel, but on my order I did a few things extra on the F8 which should give it a boost. Did a few carbon bits, plus the center bridge - on the center bridge I also added the tri color buttons. Excited about that.

6). The driving was the best pat - so responsive, so nimble, so effortless. I just loved it. When I bring my car in for washes I usually take a 488 out for a joy ride (I take my car in every couple weeks) and I have to say the ride was better. Just felt more aggressive, but maybe this was an add with the speed. I know I said this before but the car is sick fast.

I am super excited about getting my car - now it is all about the wait.

Those who have ordered the car you will not be disappointed - it is truly a work of art.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

stavura, gabf1, OSUferrari and 12 others like this.
  5. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Will be driving one in December, looking forward to it...

6. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Having met the F8 Spider for the first time in the flesh this week and upon witnessing a cold start, I fully second your assessment. Clearly much louder than a 488, an unmistakable difference. Almost 458 territory. Needless to say, I liked it quite a lot.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

7. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Hold it to 8000 and see if it can get there. It won't. The only ones saying it rev'd to 8 was Ferrari marketing and a few Journos who were probably told to say that or else.

Agree with the others here - if Ferrari is stating 488 revs to 8 then the car really should have done that at the very least. Anything less is a cop out.

MANDALAY likes this.
  8. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    I’m having second thoughts about the coupe due to the lexan rear window. May switch to spider...

But I love the look of the coupe!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

9. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Good to hear. Thanks for posting.

10. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I know. What I meant was that there's probably someone who has gotten a hold of the program from the dealer and put it up some obscure place for download. The online configurator is a joke.

11. Texas2step

Texas2step Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2018
    Full Name:
    Bola olusola
    Saw the F8 coupe tonight along with SF 90. Test driving the F8 next week. Totally agree the F8 is stunning. Both great looking cars.

stavura and REALZEUS like this.
  12. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    We are test driving it on 12/9. Will report back. I do like the front a lot, but the tail is something to learn to love.

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  13. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    If there’s one thing the F8 taught/reminded me of, is that one should never judge a Ferrari by a photo. I disliked the rear of the car when I first saw pictures of it. In the flesh, it became my favorite design bit of the car: visually it works as a whole, it’s quite aggressive and has a lot of design features and details with character.

The one I saw was Giallo, so although it may be color depending, at least in Giallo the F8 is a killer.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

14. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I wonder if the F8 style had come out first then the 488 which would be more preferred. I was looking at both side by side and you can see certain features that one might prefer over the other. Both look great, I just dont think the F8 is so exciting that I would trade my 488. I was hoping to drive the F8 Friday but it was raining, maybe this week if they still have the car.

15. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    I really appreciate all comments as I never judge a Ferrari until I see it in person. 6 days and counting......

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  16. Terrence

Terrence Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2004
    Hawaii/LA
    Full Name:
    Terrence
    Yep. I admire the looks and speed of the F8. I want one, but its more like how I wanted a 911 turbo in the past. I wanted the quickest, highest-performing car I could buy at a certain price point for daily driving, and that was it. However, nowadays, most cars are way better than we are as drivers on the streets, so for me, its about the sound, the feel , how it makes me giggle.....

In a perfect world, I would buy an F8 as the "911 turbo" of today and use it as a very capable and quiet daily driver, and I may end up doing that, but for driving excitement in even semi-legal speeds on the road, I would take my 458 any day. And yes, I would want to add an F12 to the stable too! :). It is sad that even Ferrari would have to succumb to governmental pressures and sanitize their cars to do business. One wonders what Enzo would have done today. I bet he would just keep the racing program and make boutique cars like Singer and figure out a way to be exempt from the rules.

rob5819 likes this.
  17. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Are you saying if you try to rev to 8,000 it wont get there because of Fuel cut earlier ?

Shadowfax likes this.
  18. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Correct, but this is not really news. Many have called it out on this board as well. It kinda never bothered me as the engine is so torquey you don't need to rev it beyond 6500 7000 and just work the torque curve and the gears with the rare pull to red. I think the main issue was the dishonesty thing with Ferrari claiming it revved to 8 and it just didn't.

19. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    F8 revs to 8k.

IloveGT likes this.
  20. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Don’t agree on the aesthetics of the F8 with you at all. Neither does my wife and friend both of whom were not impressed by the 488. All agreed the front looks like the designer was too fatigued and put no effort into it.It is a crude box like structure that is not properly resolved nor integrated to the rest of the car’s flow. The rear has some detail but not sufficient to create any interest. The side vent looks awkward and adds little to the otherwise sculpted appearance of the car.

My wife and I were sceptical that the F8 would represent enough of an aesthetic enhancement over the 488 to create a beautiful transformation. We attended at the unveil at Ferrari and as soon as the cover was removed from the car, we were united in our reaction. We simultaneously expressed our excitement at the beauty we were witnessing. The outer detail of the F8 and 488 are virtually identical. However, the design Achilles Heel of the 488 , namely the front and rear, was now so artfully improved as to elevate the F8 to a higher aesthetic realm. The design was now cohesive with the F8 being stunning from all angles.

21. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    It is certainly a personal thing. I know a few fellows that were considering the F8 but likely wont pull the trigger but I also know a few who will. All good.

22. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    I still prefer the appearance of the front and especially the rear of the Pista, which is so perfectly
    executed to fulfill the track focused purpose of the car.

xfrgtr and Gh21631 like this.
  23. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Same here , no need to red line as there is plenty of torque. I wonder ( ill look next drive ) the 5th red led on the steering wheel at what RPM it comes on. Do you know ?

24. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Aesthetic subjectivity is clearly exemplified by the Tesla CyberTruck. To my personal lens it is a monstrous assault on the senses, yet others see it radically more positively.

stavura, Bundy and Jo Sta7 like this.
  25. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Based upon your affection for the 720S, I predict that after driving the F8 ( if you ever do) you will be very impressed as I sense it will posses similar driving dynamics and levels of refinement with perhaps a heightened degree of engagement and technical prowess. Although not nearly as engaging as the Pista.