355 - Vanished $ Hope | Page 3 | FerrariChat

355 Vanished $ Hope

Discussion in '348/355' started by watkinsgt, Sep 26, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lanab

lanab Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2016
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Yes but it's a Ferrari, not a cheap plastic Corvette that deteriorates after 3 years of use....that's the truth about american cars...

2. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Nobody knows for sure where the price of a F355 will go as time goes on.
    Everybody knows for sure where the price of a C8 will go as time goes on.

Yassa and bcar1 like this.
  3. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom

All depends on how long chev intends to build it. It could be a 5 year run and that's it. If that's the case, then it will be somewhat collectible. I think this car is a market tester.

paulchua likes this.
  4. zstyle

zstyle Formula Junior

Jun 28, 2007
    Fountain Hills
    Full Name:
    Jon
    The biggest advantage to a GM product...there are multiple dealerships in every state so cross country road trips are not a problem.

The vettes are the best bang for the money, but everyone has one. There is a snob-appeal to the Ferraris since a finite amount of people can own one particular model.

5. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I love the new Vette. I think anybody that worked on the car should be very proud. The bang/buck proposition is impressive. That said, I think anybody that buys one should not purchase a regular production model with investment in mind. Barring any black swan event, I believe it will be produced in large quantities as previous modern Vettes have. I wholeheartedly agree that limited edition Vettes may increase in value.

Cheers

WATSON and bcar1 like this.
  6. Drock28

Drock28 Formula 3

Jan 13, 2013
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Tony
    couldn't help to bump up this thread..

saw the recent Leno's garage vid on the new vette.. I couldn't even get through the whole video..
    this car is officially ugly as heck. I wouldn't be caught dead in it or drive it even if it was handed over.

its as if the designers tried to mash together different styling cues from the likes of Ferrari, McLaren, Lambo etc..

into the car version of a platypus.. the car is absolutely ridiculous..

and to compare this to an F355..???

the original version/lines of the front engine vettes are 100 times nicer.

anyways my rante is over..

Robb likes this.
  7. Jackie and bill

Jackie and bill Formula Junior

Nov 29, 2014
    GB
    Full Name:
    William
    An, that's not a rant mate, that's just your opinion;)

8. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    #58 johnk..., Nov 20, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
    Have fun. The C8 convertible looks pretty nice to me. But at around $90k for a 3LT with Z51 and some other desirable options, not really that cheap, unless you compare it to something like the new NSX, 911, or 488, all of which it will burry.

Attached Files:

9. jjtjr

jjtjr Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2016
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    john truskowski
    Comparing a Corvette to any Ferrari is like comparing a Timex to a Rolex...Different customers.

tres55 and EastMemphis like this.
  10. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Not really. Sure some of the materials maybe cheaper in the vette, that said, have you ever taken apart a late model ferrari?

Qavion, WATSON and Ferrarium like this.
  11. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    I was going to buy a C7 'vette at one point to add to the garage...something fun to drive in the rain.
    On the 10 minute drive home from the dealership after a test drive I saw no less than 4 on the road.
    I nixed the idea before I pulled into the garage.

To each his own....People will extol the new Corvette. The ease of ownership. Readily available maint. Low price.....

Pffft. Go buy the vette if ya like. Nice car that anyone can buy, drive and own. I will certainly take a look.

However, my 355 isn't going anywhere....they are a rare breed. It is a drivers car...and most importantly, the 355 aint for pansies.

I just hope no one here bought a 355 as an investment...or thinks a C8 'vette is one either.

Ferrarium likes this.
  12. Jon Von Bon

Jon Von Bon Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 8, 2015
    Toronto / Florida
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    A C6 is a great car.

The 550 that it copied is better.

The C5 and down serves a particular kind of owner that I don’t identify with.

The C7 is a great car

The 355 as I have stated is the quintessential Ferrari. And it is fast and handles and looks fantastic.

13. jjtjr

jjtjr Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2016
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    john truskowski
    I was only referring to the differences in brand identity. Not the build materials. Not to take away from the c8 it will surely be a great car, I'm sure a ton of people will buy one. See what I'm getting at?

14. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    I don't know about that. If you are referring to the 355 then the 355 would be the Timex. Not saying I prefer the C8 to the 355, I don't. But by comparison the 355 is an old junker and the C8 is the latest of what tech and engineering can offer. And wait until the OHC engine comes out in the ZR1 version. Both have their place. On the race track the C8 will eat anything Ferrari has to offer. But a C8 isn't all that cheap, unless compared to the 488. A nicely optioned C8 convertible 3LT with Z51 option and mag suspension will run about $90k plus tax. In CT where I live, that going to be pushing close to $100k out the door. And when people talk about depreciation, remember what the bottom was for the 355? Most are still selling well below MSRP and in 1995 dollars divide today value by 1.7. That $80k 355 is worth the equivalent of $47 in 1995. So the real value of such a 355 today is about 1/3 of MSRP.

15. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    ^ I'm sure it's a great car but I wouldn't go so far as to say a pushrod 2 valve engine with a 6600rpm rev limiter is the latest of what tech and engineering can offer.

The ZR1 cammer will probably be awesome. Too bad it is "redline restricted" due to the ~superior~ DCT trans.

16. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    I was referring to all the other tech on the car, James. And let's not forget where Ferrari got magnetic suspension from in the first place. PR or OHC, it's still an amazing engine. As for the "It's not a Ferrari" crowd, I guess that depends on whether you are biased or not. Me, whether the car is something I would want or not isn't relevant. What is relevant to me is performance. I mean, a McLaren isn't a Ferrari either. Dismiss it? But why is there a problem with 6600 RPM redline? 2.9 sec 0-60 for the Z51 faster than a 488 by a tenth and only 0.05 sec slower than the Pista. So just what are you getting for all those twin turbo, high RPM, 3.9L stuff? A lot of highly stressed parts. The only thing a modern Ferrari has going for by comparison it is exclusivity. Downplaying the C8 because of price and because "It's not a Ferrari" is just narrow minded nonsense.

There are a lot of things I don't like about the styling of the C8, other things I do like, but if I were racing in IMSA, I'd prefer to be driving the C8 than the Ferrari because, well, I'd want to win.

97 Spider and GTO Joe like this.
  17. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    I've bought a new Corvette and have worked on them daily for nearly the past 20 years. I'm not anti-Vette by any means. On the contrary I am a fan.

I just do not see the experience of driving one being similar to a Ferrari even if the numbers on paper are better.

Owning 2 F355's after selling a twin turbo Corvette is the result of my interest in things other than having the fastest car out there.

No idea what a Pista or McLaren runs 0-60, they would never be a car I'm personally interested in.

Rifledriver likes this.
  18. jssans

jssans Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2005
    St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Josh

Bowling Green will produce a C8 every 5 minutes as stated on this video. Will the C8 effect a new buyer decision to buy a F355 over a new C8? I say yes. The issue is you have to drive a F355 to appreciate it. As owners of F355s we appreciate everything the car is. A new buyer has no idea. It's a bang for the buck decision. Value of the F355 will only go up but slowly imo. Barring a recession.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

19. thehick

thehick Karting
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    VA
    Actually I thought the Ferrari owner would bang ALL of the tellers, and the manager.

blkdiablo33 likes this.
  20. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I never had a Vette poster on my wall. I did have Countach and Ferrari's though. Like most I bought a 348/355 because it was I wanted, always wanted for a long time and I refuse to check out from the planet regretting never getting it.

Vettes are amazing performers but just never wanted one and the more Darth Vader they looked the less I wanted them. This is why they make Chocolate and Vanilla, different people like different things it has zero to do with performance. Look at Dino's almost no performance but worth a mint. Performance and cost or desirability are not equivalent. Nothing is equivalent. People want what they want and that is fine what better or not is irrelevant.

The 355 time has past enjoy it because YOU want to enjoy it for what it is. Tell you what "I" wont check out because I never bought a Vette boo hoo. I bet Vette people feel the same too. Some regretted buying a Ferrari and some regret buying a Vette too so it goes both way. Its a personal thing period.

But as far as market and 355 value prospects I fear we may be viewing the 355 through nostalgic lenses. I know if I ask 30 somethings what a Barracuda or 355 is, they have no clue. Its the USA, most people measure weenies with 0-60 time not exhaust note.

Rifledriver likes this.
  21. jjtjr

jjtjr Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2016
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    john truskowski
    That was my point.