Starting the refresh of my 308QV | FerrariChat

Starting the refresh of my 308QV

Discussion in '308/328' started by akitaman, Nov 23, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. akitaman

akitaman Rookie

Nov 23, 2006
    Auburn, Wa.
    Full Name:
    Daron Walker
    JuLiTrO, 308 milano, shashi27 and 3 others like this.
  2. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    Don’t pull the studs unless you absolutely have to ;-)

akitaman likes this.
  3. akitaman

akitaman Rookie

Nov 23, 2006
    Auburn, Wa.
    Full Name:
    Daron Walker
    They have go. The motor was overheated and we had to make a special tool to get the heads off. This tool required a great deal of stress on the studs. It is very likely the studs were stretched in either of the two issues. More so, if I don’t, and loose a head gasket, I don’t want to pull the motor again and change the studs with another set of gaskets. Besides, I have a very close friend that actually has a head stud pulling system that works really well on Ferrari and Alfa blocks. With that said, I don’t want to do it either.

4. Hinecker

Hinecker Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2011
    Hello,
    Just rebuilt my engine, although it's a 328, it's just about the same. The heads and block were warped, so I had to remove the studs. For my surprise the studs were easy to remove, using the two nut per stud technique. To do that I cut one of the original nuts, so it would screw on the stud freely.
    Since you have it completely apart, I would check everything.

Just my opinion

John

akitaman likes this.
  5. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    I took mine out to do a better job of cleaning the surface of the block. All but 3 came out relatively easy after soaking with penetrating fluid and using a stud removal tool. 2 required several cycles of heat and a lot of grunt. 1 required a nut being welded to the stud and a breaker bar. Head studs are expensive. The block looked only marginally better after cleaning without the studs. Just my experience.

6. akitaman

akitaman Rookie

Nov 23, 2006
    Auburn, Wa.
    Full Name:
    Daron Walker
    The studs on a 328 are 10MM studs and the 308QV is a odd duck stud. Its a 11MM stud. If the motor has been over heated the studs and the heads can be a nightmare to remove. We are building two motors at once. 1- is a 1986 328 with 200.000 miles that blew a head gasket. The other is my 1985 308 QV 40,000 mile motor that overheated. The 328 studs came out with zero issues. 6 of my studs were super difficult to do. With that said. If you ever need to pull any studs of any kind, I suggest using Snap on A50A stud puller/installer for small studs or a A80A larger studs. Snap on stopped producing this tool but plenty are on eBay. They look like this.......... Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

miketuason likes this.