488 - Inbound 2020 Pista Available | FerrariChat

488 Inbound 2020 Pista Available

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by kansas488, Nov 24, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kansas488

kansas488 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 29, 2014
    Kansas
    Loaded Rosso Corsa, stripes, with just about every carbon option selected inside and out with black alcantara and red accents with over $489k MSRP including Carbon wheels. It was someone else’s build, then mine, and I just decided not buy it. Was at status 30 over a week ago so it’s well on its way for January delivery. Anyway, PM me if you are interested. Just thought i would pass along any interested parties to dealer. If this is not ok, just delete my post (sorry)!

of2worlds likes this.
  2. Reiziger

Reiziger Rookie

Aug 22, 2018
    Disneyland
    Forgive my ignorance but how does the process of opting out of an order occur. For the original buyer, do they lose their deposit? Can anyone walk away from their allocation after the car is made and dealer just hopes to sell it, perhaps at a discounted price in the future?

I could understand if it was the only one, but i am aware this has happened several times.

3. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    Based on the wording in my contract, I’m on the hook for the deposit. If I walk away from the car, I lose the deposit.
    What the rules are governing the dealer’s sale of this car I do not know, but I imagine there’s some variability based on the region (eg US v EU v China). I would presume they would be able to offer it at MSRP but what side deals they may require (Lusso?) obviously depends.

Reiziger likes this.
  4. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    There are the rules and then there is the market reality - if the contract specifies that walking away means losing the deposit, in case of demand exceeding supply it's possible to get away with that: the deposit is supposed to be compensating for the hassle of having the car to sell, so if the walking-away customer provides a "replacement" customer there is no more reason to keep the deposit. Furthermore, if the dealer thinks he can sell in better conditions than MSRP he may renounce to keeping the deposit to avoid selling at MSRP to a customer-provided "replacement" buyer.

Reiziger likes this.
  5. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #5 Shadowfax, Nov 25, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
    Yes it is happening but the dealer will never admit it. They will draw a replacement buyer from their list who missed out on allocation and the deposit will not be lost in that case - so to keep the original buyer in good stead for when they are in a better position to pay for another new Ferrari.

Of course the dealer can always impose forfeiture of the deposit, but they are judicious especially in the case of Pista where a new Ferrari was already purchased just to qualify. I think even the dealers were not expecting the high depreciation impacting 488 as a consequence of so many being sold and resold along with the surprise release of F8, general weak market conditions all creating the perfect storm.

of2worlds and Reiziger like this.
  6. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    One other element to it, the particulars of about which I can only speculate, is the potential blowback from the dealer as well as the head office.
    If the dealer can sell the car and you’ve got money in your pocket to buy another one in the future, probably no big deal. You’re not going to be at the top of the list but given the new era of Ferrari you’re not gonna be off the list.
    what I wonder is if there is a flag on your account at head office such that, even if you decided to be a heavy hitter and buy lots of models in the future, you’re not gonna get an allocation for a special or limited version.
    I imagine that time and money heal all wounds.

7. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #7 Shadowfax, Nov 25, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
    I think these days with the way the market has now gone with these exotics and, with so many sold along with new models being released impacting the resale values, I don't think it really matters where you are on the list now because when numbers are called up so many fall over you may well find yourself top of the list in next to no time anyway. I think so long as your are on A list and can pay - (or swallow the difference on the trade) - when called upon you're in very good shape with Ferrari. They will love you forever!

Dealers/Ferrari know there will always be plenty that say they can pay but when it comes down to crunch time one needs to be able to pay and, with the depreciation levels now in play so many fall over - and for good reason when you look at the horrific shortfalls..... it's not very pretty really. It's become a case where you not only really need to want the car BUT are actually able to swallow the difference. Now that's a real test. And, probably why they they need to open the access up to all and sundry as it's now become a numbers game....as in Ferrari will take anyone on for a new order so long as they are good to settle the bill....or at least say they are at the time pen hits paper.

8. customryder

customryder Karting

Jul 31, 2007
    Is this car still available? sorry I do not see a way to pm.. you can text me at 270 519-5713 Thanks Jeff

9. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    To your point, I'm sure some of these buyers were hoping to get stupid premiums so they ordered the cars without the ability to follow through. Dealers were telling people the 100k hit they would take on a Lusso would be more than made up on the Pista premiums. Reality kicked in and they have to step up but they cant. This shouldn't take away from how great the car is but some may perceive this. Once the dust settles I believe the Pista will he appreciated for what it is.

10. kansas488

kansas488 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 29, 2014
    Kansas
    Pista is SOLD to a great, new owner.

I read through all the posts above. This wasn't some speculative purchase or anything like that. I was just someone who was offered a build slot that was already in someone else's name a couple of months ago. Ultimately, for personal reasons, I decided not to move forward. I'm not a speculator and while I could have bought it and sold it back to the dealer, I was much more interested in it going to someone else at MSRP.

I will tell you, not all dealers are the same and not all dealers act the same when it comes to this sort of thing. I had already purchased three Ferraris this year, but I was very disappointed in how this all went down. Ultimately, through the power of this great forum (and great car addicts), I was able to deliver several cash buyers to the dealer. I wasn't required to do this, I just was trying to be helpful.

So I should get my downpayment back even though I signed no docs stating my downpayment was non-refundable, had no vehicle order in my name in the Ferrari system AND I ended up connecting the dealer with the person who ultimately bought it. Think I will buy another Ferrari from them? Thankfully I live in an area where I am free to buy new from any dealer.

For those who reached out but didn't get it. I apologize. Ferrari has some unique rules about new car purchases so dealers won't sell new cars to someone who lives within 100 miles of another Ferrari dealer. It's this whole system of "why are you having to go outside your market to fill orders?". Anyway, I wish you all luck if you are looking for a new Pista. It is an amazing car!

I am super excited for the person who is going to buy this car! He is a really nice guy and a fellow car addict! For a minute I thought about just sticking it to the dealer and taking them to court if I needed to, but it was so gratifying to see someone else get what they were looking for when they had been previously unsuccessful.

LARRYH and of2worlds like this.
  11. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Why would you take the dealer to court? What did they do wrong? For the deposit? But you signed paperwork that it was non refundable. Or was it something else??

12. kansas488

kansas488 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 29, 2014
    Kansas
    You aren't reading my post. I did NOT sign anything regarding my deposit being non-refundable. Nothing. I didn't even sign a paper authorizing them to charge my credit card. The order wasn't even in my name, it was in the name of someone else. I'm just saying that it was a shady process overall and totally unprofessional.

of2worlds likes this.
  13. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Understood i think.

Not sure the dealer but I’ll vouch for my experience. Everything above board. There was no requirements for a Lusso or anything else. No promises to make me a billionaire on resale. An excellent experience my second time around.

Anyways- glad it worked out and someone is happy with their new car.

of2worlds likes this.
  14. customryder

customryder Karting

Jul 31, 2007
    Thanks!! My first ferrari! Cant wait for it to arrive! and to Kansas488 a big thank you!.

15. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Congrats! Did you get to spec it??

16. customryder

customryder Karting

Jul 31, 2007
    No, but its just how I would of built it anyway..other than yellow wheel caps I would of probably choose carbon caps to match the wheels but no big deal. Kanas488 did a great job on spec !!

of2worlds, kansas488 and SoCal to az like this.
  17. kansas488

kansas488 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 29, 2014
    Kansas
    You are welcome and it was nice to meet you. This will be a great vehicle in your collection!

LARRYH and customryder like this.
  18. Texas2step

Texas2step Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2018
    Full Name:
    Bola olusola
    Nice to hear stories like this one. One F chat member helping another and win win for both. This is why I like this forum.

19. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
  20. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Wow! Congrats! Incredible first Ferrari.