Ferrari Today - There's Something Missing | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Ferrari Today - There's Something Missing

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Rossocorsa1, Jul 27, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. imahorse

imahorse F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2017
    WI
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    I bought my 360 2 years ago at the age of 27. I live in Wisconsin and can recall each of the maybe 10 or less times I've seen a Ferrari on the road without being at an event. Only one of those was a 360 and that was in Elkhart Lake where exotics frequent. I know most people feel that the cars they grew up with were the best cars and I can't help but absolutely love the round styling that most cars had in the late 1990s and early 2000s. I think that the 360 is one of the best designed cars in that era. It is the car I think I'm going to keep forever. Between the carbon fiber seats, having damn near rubber bands for tires, and always being in sport mode, I find mine to be one of the most raw and engaging cars to drive, despite being F1. A lot of passengers think it is the most miserable car ever. To me, that is half the fun. Hell, I have left it in sport mode for all of my ownership except for 10 miles. The ease of DIY work on it (short of the F1, which I am working on getting access to) also makes it more enjoyable. Today's cars are way too computerized, way too comfortable, not quirky enough, and have less soul. I like getting a kidney punch everytime I do a redline shift. Driving 700 miles round trip to Minneapolis and back was one of the most miserable and greatest experiences I've ever had as a gearhead.

Today they seem more like status symbols for Instagram followers than something people are passionate about. They are too computerized to work on in a dumpy garage with cheap tools like I enjoy doing. I do want to also get a car that is more tame and reliable but still fun and I think a Corvette will do just fine. I don't think a Ferrari should be those things. It should be rough. It should be quirky. It should be engaging at all times. It is those things that help build the passion. I think perhaps that feeling of passion is what the company has forgotten.

2. GameMaker

GameMaker Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2014
    WA State
    You guys are crazy. My 812 Superfast is unbelievable and has a nice naturally aspirated V12. Nothing else like it.

stretchgeneral, x z8, LVP488 and 4 others like this.
  3. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    I am totally okay without worrying metals slamming hard together when downshifting too hard, but I know what you mean.

Analog feel of steering. Only two I can think of - McLaren and Lotus for the main stream. Wanna try Bac Mono one day.

4. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    I think that’s why the Ferrari experience can mean different things to different people.
    There is no universal Ferrari experience.

As to Imahorse’s comments, I sometimes prepare the non-car people that come for a ride in my 360 by telling them that it may not be what they expect, it was a $160k car with 12 computers that was designed to feel and sound like driving a go-kart. It’s not a 2 seat Bentley.

LARRYH, VAF84, imahorse and 4 others like this.
  5. 96redLT4

96redLT4 Formula Junior

Feb 20, 2009
    California
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I always enjoy reading the views of people in the know who have studied and been a part of Ferrari ownership and hisyory over the years. We seem to be looking at a future of hybrid/electric vehicles, GPFs producing muffled engine noises and gulp, even an SUV. Do longtime owners and enthusiasts accept these changes as a way to keep the brand alive and growing? Hopefully people can answer honestly without fear of incurring the wrath of the mothership. Will the fire and passion for the brand remain in the future or is Ferrari in danger of becoming just another luxury car company?

6. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    This will be thread worth watching!

7. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    It’s a win-win situation right?

Those craving the yesteryear of Ferrari & F1 have plenty of options to look forward to on the secondary market, those who are bored of the old, raucous ways can always buy into FOMO, the likes & the latest gadgetry.

In the end, Ferrari still wins.

8. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    As the originator of this thread, I think it’s worth restating my thoughts. I actually think the modern Ferrari company is rather amazing. Their product line is really exceptional. I can’t claim that their cars aren’t mind blowing. They are. But, it’s a very different company than the one I grew up loving. I suppose my conclusion is that things evolve over time and we all can choose what appeals to us individually. There’s a certain degree of mystique that’s gone, and it’s likely due not only to the company itself, but also the times that we live in. Technology, our thirst for information and our endless access to it has rendered us all as overstimulated. Yet the last essentially remains as it was in our minds.

9. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    I think this is typical of every manufacturer today (not just automobiles either) they are simply readjusting to the changing market. I think Ferrari are actually one of the best at holding on to as much as they can that set out by Enzo Ferrari.

I would have hoped an SUV would be left to the likes of Alfa and Maserati at least but then technically Ferrari are on their own. They have to do what is required to make money for shareholders. I love Alfa and Maserati and wished they'd not done SUV's but they are the best selling vehicle type in the world I think. I do not like either the Stelvio or Levanti (is that the right name of the Maserati?)
    I think the SUV they produce will be different even to the the likes of Lamborghini. I hope so because the Anus is pig ugly IMHO.

10. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    I have a personal criteria for fun car.
    If my 80y old Mom can drive it then it is not a fun car.
    Sadly, she can drive ALL current models from Ferrari, easily......

11. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    What he said...

12. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    I think the new Roma creates clarity for me. There is no question that all these new models are exceptional. They are coming at us in a flurry. They really are incredible, and I’m sure Ferrari will sell them with great success. So, there is no question in my mind that they are perfectly justified and they make great product. Having said that, it’s all a blur to me. Ferrari’s aren’t supposed to be a big blur. They’re supposed to be magical. Maybe it’s just me. The only cars that I really look forward to with great anticipation are the Icona’s and the LaFerrari successor.

showme1946 and imahorse like this.
  13. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    Further to those thoughts - I'm quite sure when the SUV (Purosange??) arrives, it will instantly be their best seller should they decide to produce it in such volume to allow it to achieve that position. Does that make me excited? Quite the opposite.

14. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    I’m actually wondering how many of the dealership service departments will keep up with all the needs. Many of current dealers, even those that have recently remodeled, have relatively small service centers.

pilotoCS likes this.
  15. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    While I certainly don’t t see Ferrari approaching anywhere near Porsche’s volume, I do believe they are mimicking Porsche’s model of basically two companies under one brand - the very high end clientele (Icona, supercar and Taylor Made clients) and then the volume rest.

audi_328 and chrixxx like this.
  16. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I have a cure for all of you. Do what you have to do to wrangle a drive in a Maranello 550. Then start stirring that big ass gated shifter while romping on the loud pedal. If that doesn't float your boat you need to quit.

ewright, Brocco, dodici and 1 other person like this.
  17. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Back to the point, it's not just Ferrari. All modern sportcars are incredibility fast, too fast. Plus, they are too easy to drive to fast. As a result, you're seeing cars getting launched into second story windows, like the Porsche recently. The other truth is we're not as good of drivers as we think we are. Not only do we lack that "sixth sense" professional racers have, we have not had the training to handle these cars.

You guys can make fun of Miatas all you want. Call them "Chick Cars" if you want. But when it comes to having fun on a windy road, you can't beat em. It's too bad, Fiat abandoned the plan of making an integrated sports car line with Ferrari at the top, followed by Maserati, and then Alfa. We might have sportscars you can drive on the streets.

LVP488, LARRYH and G. Pepper like this.
  18. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Actually, if MX-5 Miata was a modern Ferrari, I would love it. It’s a very cool little car. I think it would fit very well within the range. That would be exciting.

Texas Forever likes this.
  19. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    Lots of great cars on the market today with performance and excitability as much as Ferrari or possibly more. to me it's all about the performance and looks. Ferrari has the looks with the 458-488 and new F8 plus the F12 and the 812 Superfast looks awesome too. However Ferrari is NO WINNING in any racing series much...F1 program is not great and they do nothing in IMSA anymore.

20. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Ferrari needs to stop with the wind tunnel designs and just build a beautiful car. They are all starting to look the same. It's really getting boring.

Brocco, greg328, V4NG0 and 3 others like this.
  21. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    But, but, if they can't top 200 mph, everybody thinks they are a dog. I wonder, though, how many new Ferraris or other modern sportcars have been driven anywhere near 200 mph. On second thought, maybe that's a good thing. Just have people pay out the yin yang for a car that CAN do 200 mph, but never drive the car anywhere near that fast.

22. ZINGARA 250GTL

ZINGARA 250GTL F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 21, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Arrogance and class are usually mutually exclusive. Seems Ferrari has traded off some of the latter.

Texas Forever likes this.
  23. Normal1959

Normal1959 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 20, 2019
    bayhill orlando
    Full Name:
    Normal59
    G. Pepper, Brocco, thezone and 2 others like this.
  24. Michaelw488

Michaelw488 Karting

Mar 20, 2018
    Full Name:
    Michael W
    That’s great that u are much happier,both fabulous looking vehicles, would u mind explaining what about the 430 makes u much happier?thx in advance Eric!

25. Normal1959

Normal1959 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 20, 2019
    bayhill orlando
    Full Name:
    Normal59
    Yes, thank you.
    The day I drove the new 458 for the first time, I missed the 430. I really can't afford to keep both. The 430 is raw and just feels better driving it. Not as tight as the 458. Sounds better too. It's hard to say anything bad about the 458 but it's just too (every other high performance car). The 430 is classic and nothing like it, when you consider reliability and feel.
    Eric

G. Pepper and Texas Forever like this.