Ferrari Classiche Restores 250 LM #6051. | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Ferrari Classiche Restores 250 LM #6051.

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by miurasv, Sep 1, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Was the Long Nose on the 250 LM nothing to do with the factory or was the factory involved in its development? David Piper has said that he had some input regarding it, and that of the Long Nose of the 275 GTB, but I do not know if that input was in association with the factory? Did the factory commission Drogo to convert any 250 LM to LN configuration?

2. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Well, I’d like to consider myself a person who’s always on a quest to evolve and learn, which is one reason why I spend time on this forum. So, certainly, if there are overriding circumstances where exceptions should be make, whether it be historical or otherwise, than I’d be open to understanding them, of course. But, if you’re asking me a question, than yes, theoretically it should be restored to its original specification. In my view, that’s one of the reasons why one properly restores a car.

3. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    In most cases. Not in the case of the Breadvan, Nembo spyder 1777gt or 6051.

4. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #54 Rifledriver, Nov 25, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
    Many cars, especially race cars have a more important history in some modified form. Its why there are exemptions made for instance in the rebody rule allowing it without penalty in the case of in period rebodies. We also have exemptions for race cars being shown in a configuration that matches a particular period or race. Race cars are often subjected to on going modification for the purpose of either rule changes or making the car more competitive. Do we really want to erase that? We are trying to preserve history, not necessarily originality. These exemptions are made on a case by case basis so there is good control over it.

5. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    What exemptions are you referring to? I believe the White Classiche Book for cars of Historical Interest is what can be awarded if the car does not match how it last left the factory, when the car exactly matches the configuration of an international race.

6. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Concours rules used internationally. And I am speaking to the points being made here by Rossacorsa1. I really don't care too much one way or the other what Ferrari Classiche choose to genuflect over or not.

readplays and turbo-joe like this.
  7. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    I sometimes wonder if we're ever able to see historically significant vintage race cars "restored" to accurate configuration they were in at the time of their win, not the configuration they started the event.

One late '50s open sports racer with a TR/315/335/412 type body in some back in the day race with its upper nose panel cut/ripped open during some pit stop due to overheating issues comes to mind and if IIRC, this allowed it not only finish, but perhaps win the event (LM, MM or ??).

I must say I was quite impressed with all the cars when visiting B. M.s Le Mans winner focused collection while back, but that '90s(?) Corvette still covered with bugs, rock chips, etc it had endured by the end of (winning ?) the race was pretty amazing and clearly a direct link to moment in time in history.

8. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Very simple answer. You are not speaking of restoration. Different conversation.

Edward 96GTS likes this.
  9. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    You must be thinking of 275GTB/C/LM 6885 late in the race at Le Mans 65. When I did the article on it back in 1993-94 Al Roberts its caretaker said you could still see, if you looked from underneath via the nose opening where they hacksawed it when it was overheating at Le Mans: photo 2 here:

https://www.automag.be/FERRARI-275-GTB-COMPETITION-USINE

10. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Thanks Marc,
    When attempting to present historical accuracy on significant race cars, I for one wouldn’t mind seeing them in a state simulating the one they were in with warts and all when they crossed the finish line and headed to winners circle/podium, but doubt there are many, if any, collectors/owners of them able/willing (= ballsy enough?) to step out of the PB, Cover -/Centerfold Girl comfort zone to undertake such effort.

11. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

Replicate a damaged car? You are kidding right? Preserving one in that state naturally....of course. Not uncommon at all.

What is there about trying to replicate a damaged race car from a moment in time that appeals to anyone? Its fake, as fake as can be.

12. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    AFAIAC, as much fake as any other restoration, not more or less, except it would obviously be technically more difficult and time consuming to achieve.
    OTOH, like I said, very unlikely to actually ever happen.

13. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #63 Rifledriver, Nov 25, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
    Not the same at all. One is to put it back to as new. New paint, just like the original, new leather, just like the original, fresh motor, just like original. The other is to create a false patina, much like faking antique furniture or putting makeup on an actor to simulate a fight. Thats Hollywood all the way. Sorry.

The value in the preserved original car is the originality of of the damage or wear and tear like the #722 Moss/Jenkins 300SLR. Not some dirt and hammer marks applied by a teenager in the back lot.

14. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Obviously we perceive this entire concept quite differently.
    Can you please point out where did I made claims or even suggestions of creating "fake patina" a la "Hollywood" or "a teenager in the back lot" ???
    If anything, I'm probably one of the most hardcore opposers of such nonsense.

15. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

#57, 60 and 62.

16. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    OK, I give up, as it's obvious we see, read or perceive things differently, but I'm used to this for thinking outside the box.
    No harm done.

17. Admiral Goodwrench

Admiral Goodwrench Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2005
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Robert Phillips
    Dear Timo,

Sorry but this was not even a distance choice!
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/udbqic271ue29ky/Nassau%2056%20.jpg?dl=0

Best regards,

Robert

JimEakin likes this.
  18. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo