458 - Can an LED steering wheel be retrofitted? | FerrariChat

458 Can an LED steering wheel be retrofitted?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by GSF355, Nov 26, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GSF355

GSF355 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 21, 2013
    Brisbane
    Hi folks,

I'm considering buying a 458 and for me the LED shift lights on the steering wheel are very close to being a "must have", but I've seen a couple of cars without the LED's - good cars and worth serious consideration - so I'm wondering if an LED wheel can be; a) likely bought from the friendly local Ferrari dealer; and b) can it be fitted relatively easily without needing anything more than the replacement wheel?

Thanks in advance!

2. Ash Patel

Ash Patel Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2015
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Yes I think you can but the steering wheel comes with a hefty premium from Ferrari (as an aftermarket part) ;)
    I've heard number like 10 000 EUR + labour cost for assembly by dealer but not sure how accurate this is today, someone else might know the figures more exactly?

Caeruleus11 and GSF355 like this.
  3. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    When you have the LEDs wheel there is the option in the configuration settings to turn the LEDs on or off, I'm not sure the option is by default in the settings software or if it needs to be upgraded (or "configured" itself) when installing the steering wheel with LEDs.

GSF355 likes this.
  4. AClark

AClark Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2017
    USA
    Yes it can easily be done, for the price of the steering wheel and associated software update. Dealer usually refer to it as a proxy file.

Id ask the Dealer to throw in the programming or install for the price of the steering wheel and see what happens.

Last time I did it , Steering wheel was $12,500 plus $2,500 software, plus $200 install

hope this helps

Caeruleus11 and GSF355 like this.
  5. GSF355

GSF355 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 21, 2013
    Brisbane
    Thanks all, that certainly answers my questions.

6. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    Had this done at the dealer on my 458. $10k all in...worked perfectly and was much better than the other wheel.

GSF355 likes this.
  7. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    functionally its useless on the street - if you are going to track it makes sense, otherwise my advice is get over the novelty...it wears off quick (again on the street)
    it was a must have when it was new - now its 10 yrs...people are over it

Fireman1291 likes this.
  8. GSF355

GSF355 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 21, 2013
    Brisbane
    Yeah I get that. I would do a few track days per year. At the costs mentioned above I'm not sure it's going to be worthwhile though...

Ash Patel likes this.
  9. Jason B

Jason B Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2006
    Hbg, PA
    It is super cool. I wonder how many people when browsing online think it's a must have item. I've been looking a while for the right car and I'll admit it got me too.