12 hours from dealership - 458? | FerrariChat

12 hours from dealership - 458?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Andy348, Nov 22, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Andy348

Andy348 Formula 3

Nov 4, 2007
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Nearest dealership OR independent service is 1225km away (761mi). I can generally make it in 10 hours, in a 458 probably less!

Everyone keeps telling me the 458 is the most reliable Ferrari. Is it reliable enough to be that far from a service center?

My brain says no, my heart says yes lol

2. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Can you do any maintenance yourself ?

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

3. bobhitch

bobhitch Formula Junior

Jun 28, 2014
    UK
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Have you investigated how much having the car transported there and back would cost - once a year servicing ,and, if unlucky the odd issue ?

4. Andy348

Andy348 Formula 3

Nov 4, 2007
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Andy
    As long as there is a DIY (oil, brakes, etc) I can do the work. Transport cost isn't the end of the world, and I travel to the dealership city at least a couple of times year. I am more worried about consistent issues that require frequent dealer trips

5. tr328

tr328 Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2003
    Pacifica, California
    Full Name:
    Darryl
    Maybe you can find a local mechanic shop that has some knowledge about working on Ferraris.

6. Andy348

Andy348 Formula 3

Nov 4, 2007
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Andy
    I have searched high and low and I'm afraid anybody who would have a the software/tools necessary to work on a 458 is way out there.

Porsche is only 3 hours away....

7. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    no one can really answer your question. just because something is reliable doesnt mean it wont have an issue. its a group of independant parts all working together. think about ur daily drivers and what it wld be like if you had to travel a long distance to fix those.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  8. Ado4wd

Ado4wd Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2005
    Germantown, TN
    Full Name:
    Andrew O
    Buy the new power warranty from your dealer and then the transport is covered. Of course you’ll have to get it to the dealer the first time for the inspection.

9. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    I'd move closer. It's worth it to have=)

10. Steinhart

Steinhart Formula Junior

May 21, 2019
    Scottsdale, AZ, USA
    I would not let it stop me from buying the car. It's a good bet there will be no problems. Life is a risk. ;)

11. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    It's not that the 458 is more complex than others. It is the investment in Ferrari Diagnostic computers that is expensive & sometime difficult to get for independent shops I am told. You might try calling Independents within that 1200 mile radius to find a shop that would meet your needs.

12. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    The 458 is a very reliable car I would not be afraid to buy it living that far from a dealer. Of course make sure the car you buy has a PPI and all service records.

Andy348 likes this.
  13. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    How many miles on the 458 you're thinking about buying?

In my experience, the 458 - especially model years late 2012 and after - are very reliable. You should only need oil and filter changes, which can be done if you have tools and a floor jack or two. I'd suggest upgrading to the Braille i48CS battery also. The 458 isn't like the 355 or 360, which require a lot more TLC to keep on the road.

When the dealer does maintenance on your 458, I believe it's largely just oil and filter (plus air filters) and then the auxiliary belt is done only every other visit. They do put it on their computers to check, which is sort of the big appeal for most people I think. However, you do have to be careful that they don't unilaterally upgrade the ECU on you, as this sometimes can be a negative. The couple of times I let them do my 458 service, I explicitly said do not update my software version.

However, given how bullet proof the 458 is, you can probably safely go 3 or 4 years between visits, as long as you are doing your oil and filter changes. I'd personally do gearbox oil changes as well. If you've never town down a manual transmission or differential, it's difficult to understand how much sludge there is in there, even with doing oil changes.

I put 10K miles on my 458 over 3 years and it didn't so much as blink. I feel like it's a car you can probably put 50k miles on and really never need much serious work beyond oil and filter changes. A lot depends how you drive it too. I always warmed up the oil and motor for 5 to 10 miles before even moderately pushing the car.

As far as the filter and the little aux belt - those can be bought off eBay. Besides, usually when the dealer throws the old belt into the trash, it looked practically brand new. You could probably put 75K miles on your aux belt and never have any problems :) Those belts are usually made by Dayco and tough as nails.

Ray

Andy348, willcrook and flash32 like this.
  14. RoyalPink

RoyalPink Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2019
    Southern Utah
    Full Name:
    John D.
    458 aside. That's too far for any make of 5-8 year old car for me.

15. BlueFerrari458

BlueFerrari458 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2018
    Well I am about 400 miles one way from my dealership and I would never service the car myself nor let and shop do it... Ferrari's as we all know are a world of their own and unless your 458 is a high mileage early car already why risk having a local guy fix what they must by definition not do often.... these cars not made for trying.... you can really hurt yourself these days more than any savings I ship the car and store it ... two items the dealer handles for me at Lake Forest in northern IL.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

16. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    The 458 is a modern car with well proven reliability. Is it perfect? No, and anybody can get a lemon. But if you knock that out of your head, which you should as it's rare after all, it's "just a car". It will work well like most modern cars. It's nothing like owning a 355 etc. or having issues with F1 clutches or break pedal start switches and all the rest of it. It's a reliable car period.

Considering that you're far from your dealer, I will stress one thing THE BATTERY. Don't skimp, don't cheap out, do not wait and see. That is as always the main thing about these. The FLAMM battery the car comes with, is not very good. Combine this with a situation where the car usually sat for a long time during transport, or at a dealer etc. without a charger. These cars have a high parasitic draw, and the former means that many Ferraris are basically delivered new with a battery that is on its last legs. Like many, you could install a fairly reliable but cheap Interstate. But in your case, I would do my utmost to avoid any kind of little issues and errors when starting the car up, which is usually caused by low voltage. The interstate is a reliable battery, but not the most powerful or the one with the most CCA and PCA. I know I have said this a million times, and I'm sure some are bored to death with hearing me say Braille. But in your case, that is the proper battery to get. I'm not talking about the big bucks lithium battery. I'm talking about their AGM verity which can pump out more power than just about any group 48 AGM battery on the market. I believe the model number is B7548. It's about 50-80 bucks more than the top-of-the-line Interstate MTZ 48-H6.

If you install that and keep your car on the tender when home, you well ahead in terms of trouble-free 458 ownership. The Annual stuff etc. is what it is. Make a trip of it or ship it out when needed be. But other than that, you shouldn't have many issues.

Andy348 likes this.
  17. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    I had 3 458 variants...all reliable but needed consistent dealer attention for things that came up.

Ash Patel likes this.
  18. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    One thing that can be serviced on a 458 locally or diy, is brake pads. Those brakes are about the easiest brakes to work on there is. Changing pads is like 5-10 mins once the wheel is off. When it comes to brakes, they are far from a world of their own. It's a generic system used by many, including GM.

19. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Watch a few episodes of Life Below Zero on the National Geographic channel (Tuesday evenings). People live 500 miles from the nearest grocery store. They live a little above or below the Arctic Circle in Alaska.

20. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Flew into Iqaluit delivering a Cessna 421 from the Uk to Oklahoma back in '91.

Like -35c or something from memory,just under the Artic Circle, didn't spot any Ferrari LOL.

21. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    Have it transported for the few times if and when you might have to send it to the dealer. Alternatively look for an independent shop closer to home. They’re out there, you just have to look. Maybe someone on this forum can recommend one for you.

22. spyder625

spyder625 Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2017
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Mike
    buy it... it is worth the trip or transport costs once or twice a year....

23. Ash Patel

Ash Patel Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2015
    Stockholm, Sweden
    --------------------- ->^This with both my 458s

24. Andy348

Andy348 Formula 3

Nov 4, 2007
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Thanks for all the responses. Sadly if an indi shop was available somewhere close(r) by this wouldn't be an issue.

What were the issues that required trips to the dealer?