Zandvoort corner banking to be twice as steep as Indianapolis | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Zandvoort corner banking to be twice as steep as Indianapolis

Discussion in 'F1' started by mcimino, Nov 24, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    #26 DGS, Nov 25, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
    Didn't the old cars bottom out on the Monza banking?

(At least, according to the "Grand Prix" (1966) script. ;))

I think most paved streets have at least a 2 degree slope from edge to crown, for drainage.
    (According to quick research on residential streets.)

2. cmos

cmos Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2004
    USA
    Full Name:
    Johny English
    mcimino and lorenzobandini like this.
  3. You're a real riot c-mos....pow, zoom, to the moon..... :p

:)

4. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/147355/pirelli-can-only-up-pressures-to-cope-with-zandvoort

Pirelli says it will have no choice but to increase its tyre pressures for Formula 1's Dutch Grand Prix in 2020 to cope with Zandvoort's 18-degree banked final corner.

As part of a revamp required to bring the venue up to the standards of other contemporary F1 circuits, Zandvoort's final turn is being reconstructed and will feature a 32% incline - with more than four metres of height difference between the top of the track and the bottom.

The steepness of the banking will be twice that of turns at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, which caused problems for Michelin-shod cars in 2005 and ultimately forced all 14 of those runners to withdraw from that year's US Grand Prix.

Pirelli's head of car racing Mario Isola said his company knows the challenges the banked corner will present, but added there was a limit to what it could do to mitigate the risk of problems because a different tyre specification cannot be designed specifically for the Dutch GP.

"The only thing we can do is to react with the pressure, and we will have to increase the starting pressure," said Isola.

"If you look at the regulation we are obliged to stay on the same construction and same specification for the whole year, so we cannot design a tyre for the banking and we cannot design a specific construction, for Zandvoort.

"So the only possibility is to try to manage the prescriptions in terms of camber and pressure."

G. Pepper and mcimino like this.
  5. #30 lorenzobandini, Nov 26, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
    OMG! Oh no!! Whatever shall we do???!!!

As it should be. 'Same for everybody.

Dem's the cards you're dealt....play your hand.

That's REAL racin'. No p***y-footing around. Do what you hafta do and come what may.

You set up too fast? Maybe you break and lose.

Not fast enuff? You lose.

Get it right? You're a winner.

REAL auto racing, where there is not "parity". You earn you're way. ;)

How many remember having to set up for https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-ab&sxsrf=ACYBGNSlKGWp3J8xJ760gRxfHSZaOe6g9w:1574800775281&ei=h43dXeDREM61tgX4rLAo&q=formula+one+cars+jumping+at+nurburgring&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwigsbWG3ojmAhXOmq0KHXgWDAUQsAR6BAgEEAE&biw=1670&bih=915#spf=1574800824131
    instead of just for billiard tables like we HAVE TO HAVE (regulations limiting gradient delta) today?
    Most recent...the crying about the ripples at CoTA. Waaaahhhh!!!
    'May as well watch go-karts with the amount of suspension travel we see these days.

william likes this.
  6. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Anything that creates more super-exciting “tyre management” and/or pits stops is okidoki with me. That’s what we want, right, old chaps?

7. Kiwi Nick

Kiwi Nick Formula 3

Jun 13, 2014
    Durango, CO
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Dear Mario Isola, all Pirelli has to do is design a tire that will withstand the most extreme conditions that it will encounter during the year and use it for the full season. I'm sure that the current tires are over-engineered for some circuits, but more than equal to the highest loads currently seen on other circuits. Surely Eau Rouge stresses tires more than other turns and the current tires are designed to handle that load. So, just figure out what loads the Dutch circuit will dish out and design accordingly.

lorenzobandini likes this.
  8. Now you're talking. Image Unavailable, Please Login

One step further. Three tires...slick, mediums, and rains. The slicks, hard enough to go the distance. What the heck, the other two also in their appropriate conditions. No BS mandatory changes. Everybody has the same problem....any circuit, any conditions.....get from lights out to checkered first.

Real racing.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Jack-the-lad, ago car nut and william like this.
  9. mcimino

mcimino Formula 3

Oct 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    That would be nice... tired of this "tire management" during a race. "Managing the pace to conserve tires" Even managing fuel consumption is ridiculous...it's all BS, taking away from the sport.

jmillard308, ago car nut and william like this.
  10. My, my. "Sport" you say...? Didn't you get the memo?
    It's not sport any longer...it's a show...oooopppsss..."real racing"....the masses want now. Yup, that "real (aka well orchestrated so it's soooo exciting :rolleyes:) racing" that a real sport (yeah, the real thing, not the show) isn't.
    Isn't that banking gonna be soooo exciting......whooop dee flooping doo.....NASCAR here we come. :(

ago car nut and mcimino like this.
  11. cmos

cmos Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2004
    USA
    Full Name:
    Johny English
    Pretty bad, I know. My apologies - I should have approached it from a different angle...:rolleyes:

12. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Not for me ! :D
    Tyre management, pit strategy, team tactics, undercuts, overcuts and else are all BS to me.
    I want real racing from start to finish without interuption, without clever boffins on computers deciding the outcome of a race.
    It was possible in the old says, why can't we have it back now ?

13. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    If only they could hear you !

14. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Talladega next for the southern USGP, yeehaw:D

15. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I’ve been saying that for years....They don’t hear anybody but themselves.

william likes this.
  16. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #42 Nembo1777, Nov 27, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
    Thanks for posting, they certainly are not messing about.

Hard to judge that future banked turn -photos one and four- but it seems more like a raised tight corner than a traditional banked flowing curve. Time will tell, too early to predict it's overtaking benefit. The idea is for it to help get cars closer to each other to favour overtaking at the next corner, Tarzan, just after the pit straight.

Jack-the-lad and jgonzalesm6 like this.
  17. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Yes, I can’t quite figure out the radius either.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  18. bmwracer

bmwracer Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2004
    Toronto
    They will adjust the ride height accordingly so that will not be an issue . Tires are another story , no matter how good they are , my guess is there will be the odd blowout . I ran Daytona for 20 years , never hard a tire issue but a couple of my co racers did and it gets ugly fast . We shall see

19. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    First I've heard about this. It will add some excitement, for sure, but also maybe some spectacular pileups. With banking, "What goes down, must come up."

BOKE likes this.
  20. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    IIRC the Pozzi team withdrew it's second 512BBLM at Daytona back in the day when the first burst a tire and crashed while the second one exhibited dangerous one sided wear on its own tires. Could not cope with the banking.

21. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #47 Nembo1777, Nov 28, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
    No it is just a teeny short bit of track, see photos one and four, not at all conducive to the constant top speed pack chases you are thinking of. Apples and oranges.

But if someone flies off the top he will land in the UK or Ireland:eek:

Since we are speaking of bankings one bit of trivia which I always found amusing is that the curve at Le Mans called Indianapolis is far more banked than the Speedway.

G. Pepper likes this.
  22. .....Though not named so due to the banking....t'was the underlying bricks (Indy even nicknamed The Brickyard, back in the day ; and still to some to this day ;))

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2016/jun/17/le-mans-unspoiled-f1-24-hour-race
    "The section before Arnage is still known as Indianapolis – so called because it was originally paved with bricks, as Indy was back then."

https://www.lemans.org/en/news/24-ho...anapolis/19739

"especially, a layer of bricks was found under the track when it was asphalted just like the “Brickyard”,"
    "Going back to the first edition of the 24 Hours in 1923, the road was almost flat at the Indianapolis corner but, by 1928, the banking effect was beginning to have an impact as a rut had been formed by the stream of cars hitting the apex."

Nembo1777 and G. Pepper like this.
  23. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Interesting,did not know they used bricks there. I like that spot during Le Mans classic around four am, magic, then a nap in the car and back to the pit area for dawn:)

24. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    If there were an exception to the "mandatory pit stop == 2 tire compounds" rule::

Something like: You either start on the tire you qualified on (in Q2) OR you are allowed to pick a harder compound and do the whole race on it.